1009 Holiday

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
hearthesilence

Re: 1009 Holiday

#26 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Does seem pretty funny. I have a very limited familiarity with Cukor, but just off the top of my head, they could have licensed a PBS documentary on the man himself from about a decade ago. (I only saw a third of it, so I can't vouch for the overall quality, but it had some great anecdotes.) Also quite a bit of writing was published to coincide with the Lincoln Center retrospective that was held six years ago.

Anyway, I've heard some people use the term "cream" when discussing vintage film grain, and films like these (basically studio films from the 1930's) bring that to mind. If you see them nowadays projected in pristine 35mm prints, the grain often times looks this thick.

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:07 pm

According to Gary, the UK BD was released in 2010 and the US BD on 7 January 2019. How did we all miss that? :wink:

therewillbeblus

#28 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 pm

As much as I love the playroom scenes, no matter how many times I see this film, my favorite moment is when
SpoilerShow
Cary Grant enters the mansion and exclaims, “Judas!” and after the butler reacts with a confused “I beg your pardon?” Grant says, “Oh I just said ‘Judas’ but it didn’t mean anything.”
It’s such a sweet film, only screwball in that the two leads refuse to conform to society and cannot confine their own loud self-actualized personalities, but the characters are so honest and relatable that the film defies genre. This is the type of film that celebrates people for who they are, eccentricities and all, and validates all of us for our quirks and individualized values. In providing an offer of encouragement that we don’t need to compromise ourselves for anyone, the return is that embracing the self begets priceless freedom that opens doors to opportunities to seize life. If we look closely enough, we may all find our Hepburn or Grant, and the playroom is always there for us in some manifestation; it’s our choice if we allow it to collect cobwebs or not.

Fortisquince

#29 Post by Fortisquince » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm

That was a wonderful, touching statement about Holiday...and life. :D

Gregor Samsa

#30 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:23 am

I thought Cukor's comments on the infamous 'box office poison' line were a particular highlight of the interview on this disc:
Gavin Lambert: It's so extraordinary to think she could have been 'box office poison'.

George Cukor: Well that 'box office poison' thing was, as I said... She'd done some pictures, and then they'd succeed--they hadn't succeeded, and a very smart-ass gentleman, who just made money off these people, who was an exhibitor, he made these pronouncements and of course he was proven over and over again to be an ass. It's as though he were a car dealer, or any sort of dealer or anything, and went around kicking his own product, you know, that he had not made, mind you! It's as if he were a car distributor and he went and dented all the fenders in the car... he had nothing to do with creating, and there was a certain hiatus in their.. I think if someone has a certain acting talent, and they're not crazy, and they're not self-destructive, have character, they will survive. They can survive and change and are different, a lot of the people he dismissed, he wanted to put on the ash heap, like I believe Joan Crawford who's had a long career since, Marlene, I would say that was libelous!