Second Run General Chitchat

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Second Run and the films on them.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: Second Run General Chitchat

#376 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:28 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Marc Isaacs' latest The Filmmaker's House (featured at Hot Docs) starts with a Second Run logo. Maybe a future release?
It's up on Amazon for September release attributed to Verve.( https://vivaverve.com/film/the-filmmakers-house/) The cover doesn't seem like a Second Run release.
It's wonderfully done by Isaacs with a rather Herzogian undertone.

ianthemovie

#377 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:10 am

I'm hoping to place an order with Second Run in the coming weeks in order to pick up the new Beauty and the Beast as well as Herz's Morgiana, neither of which I had heard of until a few months ago but which sound right up my alley.

Are there any other lesser-known Second Run titles that folks would recommend blind-buying along with these two?* My taste generally leans toward more stylized/surreal/experimental film than toward straight realist cinema but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

(*I've already seen and/or already own Blissfully Yours, A Blonde In Love, Daisies, David Holzman's Diary, Dawson City, The Emperor's Naked Army, Goodbye Dragon Inn, Marketa Lazarova, Mother Joan of the Angels, Portrait of Jason, Three Wishes for Cinderella, Tropical Malady, Valeria and Her Week of Wonders, and Vitalina Varela.)

Glowingwabbit

#378 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am

"stylized/surreal/experimental". I would highly recommend both of their Portabella releases. Also their copy of Jancsó's Electra, My Love was a revelation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#379 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am

So many great films to choose from, but for "stylized" I would recommend Szindbad and for a "lesser known" title that I never would have heard of if not for Second Run, Palms

L.A.

#380 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am
Szindbad
This really needs a Blu-ray upgrade. Maybe even UHD.

jsteffe

#381 Post by jsteffe » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:08 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 pm
swo17 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am
Szindbad
This really needs a Blu-ray upgrade. Maybe even UHD.
Szindbad is one of the most beautiful color films I have ever and the DVD is very good. I would LOVE to see a Blu-ray someday!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#382 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm

I actually don't even own the Second Run DVD anymore, as I upgraded to the Hungarian one that includes some bonus shorts. Really everything I've seen by Huszárik is phenomenal and I'd love for more of it to be more readily available

borisgodunov

#383 Post by borisgodunov » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:39 am

ianthemovie wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:10 am
Are there any other lesser-known Second Run titles that folks would recommend blind-buying along with these two?* My taste generally leans toward more stylized/surreal/experimental film than toward straight realist cinema but I'm open to any and all suggestions.
If what you write is true, there really is no way around Electra My Love for you, a captivatingly beautiful parable on oppression and revolution (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-_tNvAfOw). You might also like Ikarie XB 1, the visually stunning and utterly stylish predecessor of Star Trek and 2001 (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9SdD9KI4w), and Invention for Destruction, an unparalleled bringing-to-life of Victorian line engravings, one of the most visionary approaches to the art of film (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0t3pB0D7SQ).

MichaelB

#384 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Unfortunately (if contextually understandably) the conventional editing and short shot lengths in the trailer for Electra completely fail to convey the mesmerising effect of the actual film's extended shots.

This excerpt from Red Psalm probably gives a better idea of Jancsó's unique style. No subtitles, but for visual demonstration purposes it doesn't really need any.

What A Disgrace

#385 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:46 pm

Second Run is supposed to be releasing the two Paulo Rocha films at some point, and I wonder just how they'll go about it. Perhaps a two film set?