1108 The Celebration

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1108 The Celebration

#1 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm

The Celebration

The Danish Dogme 95 movement that struck world cinema like a thunderbolt began with The Celebration, the international breakthrough by Thomas Vinterberg, a lacerating chamber drama that uses the economic and aesthetic freedoms of digital video to achieve annihilating emotional intensity. On a wealthy man's sixtieth birthday, a sprawling group of family and friends convenes at his country estate for a celebration that soon spirals into bedlam, as bombshell revelations threaten to tear away the veneer of bourgeois respectability and expose the traumas roiling beneath. The dynamic handheld camera work, grainy natural lighting, cacophonous diegetic sound, and raw performance style that would become Dogme hallmarks enhance the shattering visceral impact of this caustic indictment of patriarchal failings, which swings between blackest comedy and bleakest tragedy as it turns the sick soul of a family inside out.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• 2K digital restoration, approved by director Thomas Vinterberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• Audio commentary from 2005 featuring Vinterberg
• New interview with Vinterberg
• Two early short films by Vinterberg: Last Round (1993) and The Boy Who Walked Backwards (1995)
The Purified, a 2002 documentary about Dogme 95, featuring interviews with Vinterberg and filmmakers Søren Kragh-Jacobsen, Kristian Levring, and Lars von Trier
• Program in which Vinterberg discusses the real-life inspiration for the film
• Documentaries featuring members of the cast and crew at the film's premiere in Copenhagen and reflecting back on the production
ADM:DOP, a 2003 documentary profile of cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle
• Deleted scenes, with optional audio commentary by Vinterberg
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by critic and author Michael Koresky

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Re: 1108 The Celebration

#2 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Welp, there goes my initial hopes for a Dogme 95 boxset (with Festen, The Idiots, Mifune's Last Song and The King is Alive).

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm

assuming the included doc is of pretty good length given this is a two discer

jsteffe

#4 Post by jsteffe » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm
Welp, there goes my initial hopes for a Dogme 95 boxset (with Festen, The Idiots, Mifune's Last Song and The King is Alive).
That may not have been feasible because the films were handled by different distributors in the U.S., and I think in some cases the rights are still active.

Maybe there will be a Blu-ray set released elsewhere. I agree that would be nice, even though most of the films were shot originally on DV. Festen is my favorite of these and I'm delighted that Criterion is releasing it as a stand-alone edition, at least.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#5 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm
The Purified is about 75 minutes, so not that much by itself, but the shorts are both 35-40 minutes and the retrospective doc is half an hour.

If Criterion releases The Idiots, they'd better include the R-rated version that von Trier personally supervised, which obscures all below-the-waist frontal nudity (including that which could've gotten through with an R) with black bars that constantly change size and orientation based on whatever they're covering up.

ryannichols7

#6 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 pm
The Purified is about 75 minutes, so not that much by itself, but the shorts are both 35-40 minutes and the retrospective doc is half an hour.

If Criterion releases The Idiots, they'd better include the R-rated version that von Trier personally supervised, which obscures all below-the-waist frontal nudity (including that which could've gotten through with an R) with black bars that constantly change size and orientation based on whatever they're covering up.
sounds like a similar approach to Irma Vep, which didn't necessarily have a huge "second feature" type thing but moreso a collection of many longer features

who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC

The Fanciful Norwegian

#7 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm
who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC
Both it and The Celebration were with Universal for a long while via a pointlessly convoluted chain of custody (October to Universal to USA Films and then back to Universal). I don't know if that's still the case—for those with the sell sheet, who's listed as the licensor for The Celebration?

Matt

1108 The Celebration

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:who owns the Idiots these days? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next Von Trier coming from CC
It should be the in same rights situation as Festen. Both were distributed in the US by permutations of the company that became Focus Features, now owned by Universal/Comcast.

If Universal’s rights have expired for one, they’ve probably expired for the other (in which case Trust Film Sales is likely the licensor, as with Breaking the Waves).

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9 Post by cdnchris » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:30 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
ryannichols7 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm
Both it and The Celebration were with Universal for a long while via a pointlessly convoluted chain of custody (October to Universal to USA Films and then back to Universal). I don't know if that's still the case—for those with the sell sheet, who's listed as the licensor for The Celebration?
The Match Factory is listed as the licensor.

furbicide

#10 Post by furbicide » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Love the packaging (or lack thereof). Dogme lives!