Black Test Car + The Black Report
Japanese maverick director Yasuzo Masumura (Blind Beast) helms a bitingly satirical espionage thriller set in the heart of the Japanese auto industry in his 1962 landmark Black Test Car, which launched a series of similarly themed “Black” films.
In a bitter, take-no-prisoners corporate war between the Tiger Motorcar Company and their competitors, the Yamato Company, undercover spies have infiltrated both sides. As Tiger prepares to launch its newest “Pioneer” car and a prototype bursts into flames, Toru (Hideo Takamatsu, The Last Emperor) heads a secretive task force to root out Yamato’s spy, and find out what they can about the competitor's familiar-looking new model.
Making its worldwide Blu-ray debut, Black Test Car is paired here with the English-language video premiere of its follow-up The Black Report, also directed by Masumura.
Details by Film
Black Test Car
The Black Report
- Newly recorded critical appreciation by Jonathan Rosenbaum
- Theatrical trailer for Black Test Car
- Theatrical trailer for The Black Report
- Image gallery for both films
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet with new writing on the films by Mark Downing Roberts