Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dda1996a

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#251 Post by dda1996a » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:39 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 pm
The Kickstarter for Hal Hartley's Where to Land only has 4 days to go. Somehow it's ever so slowly increasing, but it still needs US$90,000 to pass the finish line. If you were thinking of backing this to help him make another feature film (probably his last independently financed one), now's the time! You know you want to. Well I want you to.:wink: I'd like to see this damn film of his get made.

Happy New Year everyone \:D/
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one anxiously seeing this getting closer to it's finish line. I just hope many people here will at least throw some dollars at him

Oedipax

#252 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Count me in as well for anxiously refreshing Hartley's Kickstarter - he's a little under $36k short at the moment with 49 hours to go. I assume he'll make it, if for no other reason, there's probably a way for one of Harley's better known regular collaborators to make up the difference if it gets down to that.

I got in right at the beginning and it's been heartening to see it get this far, although it would be nice if it didn't always come down to the wire on these.
Last edited by Oedipax on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam X

#253 Post by Adam X » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:36 pm

I know, I think for every one he’s done it’s just scraped in. It’s now down to $18,000 with only 42hrs left. I decided to chip in a little extra, but the campaign really needs a couple more pledges from people with deeper pockets than I. It always seemed like this was the wrong time of year for this, but who knows.

Oedipax

#254 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Only $5k left to go for the next 40 hours, he’s got this one in the bag!

Adam X

#255 Post by Adam X » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:44 am

...and it's reached its goal with 36hrs to spare! Not bad considering it wasn't even at the half-way mark 9 days ago.

hearthesilence

#256 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Missed this, but Deadline actually covered the campaign too. Good to see the trades giving these campaigns attention.

Luke M

#257 Post by Luke M » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Kickstarter for restored Lupino Lane films.

Adam X

#258 Post by Adam X » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 pm
Potentially good news on this front! I received an e-mail yesterday from IndieCollect to the Kickstarter backers:
Well I never received that email, but against all hope got one overnight, their first update in almost 3 years! I’m sure it’s just badly worded, but it sounds like they’re blaming COVID-19 for the delay! :roll: Hopefully, while they’re self-isolating, they can work on improving that cover art.
IndieCollect wrote: Dear Backers,

You’ve haven’t heard from us of late because IndieCollect was capsized by the COVID virus. A sturdy little vessel, we’ve turned ourselves right side up, but here in New York City – the center of the storm — we are still being buffeted.

We do have good news to report.

Apparatus Collection Blu-ray includes Five Women Directors
We are proud that IndieCollect’s Blu-ray edition of the Apparatus Collection includes films by Brooke Dammkoelher, Susan Delson, Mary Hestand, Suzi-Lori Parks, and Christine Vachon. It is now being replicated and will be sent to Kickstarter backers once we are allowed to re-open the office.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#259 Post by Lemdog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm

This Kickstarter will fund a project that brings 5 rare Edward Everett Horton silent comedy shorts from 1927-1928 to DVD.

The films on the DVD will be: No Publicity (1927), Find the King (1927), Dad's Choice (1928), Horse Shy (1928), Vacation Waves (1928).

https://t.co/CCMERhwOsf?amp=1

L.A.

#260 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:06 am

Ashirg

#261 Post by Ashirg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 pm

Adam X wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:01 pm
Well I never received that email, but against all hope got one overnight, their first update in almost 3 years! I’m sure it’s just badly worded, but it sounds like they’re blaming COVID-19 for the delay! :roll: Hopefully, while they’re self-isolating, they can work on improving that cover art.
4 years after the Kickstarter campaign concluded and 3 years after last update (before they put a blame on COVID-19 in April), the Apparatus Film Collection is shipping next week to backers... Yay, I guess!!!!

Adam X

#262 Post by Adam X » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:25 am

Happy to see it's finally a reality. The one crowd-funded item I've contributed to that I assumed I'd never see. But like Dorado Films releases, I'll believe it when it turns up in the mail.
I feel sorry for the people who also chose tiers that included other items like books; it didn't sound like they got those either.

colinr0380

#263 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm

It is definitely a reality as the Apparatus Film Collection arrived in the mail here in the UK today.

beamish14

#264 Post by beamish14 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm

I legitimately don't remember if I supported this. I *think* I did?

This is John Kricfalusi-level professionalism.

Adam X

#265 Post by Adam X » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:45 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm
It is definitely a reality as the Apparatus Film Collection arrived in the mail here in the UK today.
Did you get a shipping notification, Colin? I’ve not seen or heard a thing since their announcement.

Curious to see the results after all this time.

beamish14

#266 Post by beamish14 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:46 pm

Adam X wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:45 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
Did you get a shipping notification, Colin? I’ve not seen or heard a thing since their announcement.

Looking again at the Kickstarter page, it's interesting that a few of their planned projects did come to fruition. Liquid Sky and
Thousand Pieces of Gold were restored. I'd love to see those "Sundance Shorts", though.

colinr0380

#267 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Adam X wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:45 pm
colinr0380 wrote:

Nothing specifically addressed to me about shipping until the package arrived today. There was just the general e-mail to backers saying that the discs were being sent out as mentioned by Ashirg above to indicate that it would arrive at some point. Inside the package however is a named receipt with an order and tracking number, plus an IndieCollect leaflet about their work and a letter thanking the patience of Kickstarter backers.

Adam X

#268 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 am

Thanks for that. Never quite understood businesses that send things tracked but don’t provide the number to the recipient.

colinr0380

#269 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:13 am

I find that not being informed about shipping is the case more often than not, even with something that has provided lots of updates as to project status and a general e-mail to everyone that they were going to be sending the discs out, such as with the Jan Švankmajer set or (a project I backed around the same time as the Apparatus Films one, although they actually had to create the entire documentary and film interviews for it, so it is a bit clearer why that project took years to come to fruition!) the latest in the From Bedrooms To Billions series. It might just come down to whether there is previous experience in shipping product or not - this strikes me as the first physical product that IndieCollect have done, as the enclosed leaflet particularly shows that they are much more about collecting funding for restoring and screening films theatrically rather than on disc. So I'm a bit more inclined to give them some leeway on things especially since they have come through, even though it would always be nice to get an update at least once or twice a year about how things are going!

The notable exception being the Robert Woodhead AnimEigo kickstarter projects, which I experienced directly through the Gunsmith Cats project and a bit more tangentially through the current Megazone 23 project (which I was unable to back during the campaign itself as it was US-only until they got the go ahead to make it available internationally just as the campaign ended, and then they did a kind of bolt-on extension for international backers). In both of those projects I have gotten receipts and shipping notices at every stage of the process in addition to the progress updates on the Kickstarter page. Though it perhaps should be noted that those projects are still going through the AnimEigo company, so they are treating it like it has been bought directly through their company storefront just with a note that you are a pre-paid Kickstarter customer, and you get all of the official receipts and e-mails that one would expect that come from doing it that way.

But then I have never had anything get lost in the post so far from any project backed on Kickstarter and Indiegogo (fingers crossed!) and being able to use the same address on every pledge due to the details being saved on the Kickstarter site has relaxed me a bit in the knowledge that previous pledges to others have come through correctly under the address I had provided. So I kind of know that if anything goes wrong it is at least not my fault for having entered the details wrongly!

rockysds

#270 Post by rockysds » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am

Edward Lorusso's latest kickstarter for Zander the Great (1925), another Marion Davies film.

colinr0380

#271 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Sadly Hal Hartley's planned and successfully Kickstarted production of Where To Land has had to be cancelled due to the pandemic after having been delayed for the last year, so Hartley has decided to issue refunds (or is offering his Blu-ray of The Girl From Monday and The Book of Life, a CD soundtrack of songs that were planned for Where To Land and the screenplay in book form) to all those who contributed. Hopefully he might run the campaign again in the future, because its pretty clear that this situation was out of his hands somewhat.

bearcuborg

#272 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Puppetoons Vol 3

I loved the first two, with the first volume in particular having Duke Ellington’s Perfume Suite.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#273 Post by Lemdog » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:23 am

Billy Bevan - silent comedian

A Blu-Ray of rare Mack Sennett comedies from film archives around the world.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... tor_launch

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#275 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:08 pm

My entire life has been but a prelude to this moment