Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1151 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Cannery Row, 1982... also announced

captveg

#1152 Post by captveg » Tue May 19, 2020 8:24 pm

They updated the listings for the musicals to state New 2020 transfers from 4K masters.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1153 Post by soundchaser » Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 pm

In a bizarre coincidence, I spent the morning next to a DVD of Cannery Row that someone had set aside at work before we closed to the public. I choose to believe I’m partly responsible for this announcement (although I haven’t actually seen the film).

And if I can briefly kvetch about Blu-Ray.com: the people there who outright dismiss the musical as a genre are just baffling to me. I’m not too familiar with this month’s announcements, but as far as I’m concerned relatively obscure musicals are what Warner Archive does best.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1154 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 am

Steinbeck's sequel to Cannery Row (Sweet Thursday) got turned into a relatively obscure musical that never got made into a movie (so far as I know) -- Rodger's and Hammerstein's Pipe Dream. ;-) (It actually does have some good music, however)

captveg

#1155 Post by captveg » Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm

House of Wax 3D (1953) and Hans Christian Anderson (1952) getting reissued via WA.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#1156 Post by Timec » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am

They just announced Pride and Prejudice (1940).
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan from best surviving preservation elements!
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940)
Run Time 118:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Oscar-Nominated Crime Does Not Pay short "Eyes of the Navy"; Vintage Cartoon "The Fishing Bear"; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Like the arrows she launches at an archery target during an elegant lawn party, Elizabeth Bennet’s wit is pointed and unerring. “If you want to be really refined, you have to be dead,” she says, skewering the imperious airs of her hosts. Jane Austen’s timeless 1813 novel of unlikely romance is richly adapted in this lavish Academy Award® winner.* Greer Garson portrays spirited Elizabeth, one of five Bennet sisters hoping for matrimony. Laurence Olivier plays Darcy, whose arrival at a nearby estate sets maiden hearts aflutter. But first impressions can mean so very much. Elizabeth and Darcy find reasons to view each other with disdain, setting in motion a velvet struggle of Pride and Prejudice, perception and reality, forgiveness and love. You’ll be irresistibly caught up in it.

senseabove

#1157 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 pm

And Girl Crazy:
SpoilerShow
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan from best surviving preservation elements!
GIRL CRAZY (1943)
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Disc Configuration BD 50
Mickey Rooney. Judy Garland. Gershwin music. And Tommy Dorsey to play it. Who could ask for anything more? From Garland’s rendition of “But Not for Me” to the grand finale of “I Got Rhythm,” Girl Crazy is one of the most buoyant tunefests ever put on-screen. Rich kid Danny Churchill (Rooney) has a taste for wine, women and song, but not for higher education. So his father ships him to an all-male college out West where there’s not supposed to be a female for miles. But before Danny arrives, he spies a pair of legs extending out from under a stalled roadster. They belong to the dean’s granddaughter, Ginger Gray (Garland), who is more interested in keeping the financially strapped college open than falling for Danny’s romantic line. At least at first.
Special Features: Introduction by Mickey Rooney(HD); Commentary by Film historian John Fricke; Comedy Short "Hollywood Daredevils" ; Vintage Cartoon "The Early Bird Dood It" ; "I Got Rhythm" Stereo Remix Version (HD); Audio Only Bonus "Bronco Busters" Outtake; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

FrauBlucher

#1158 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Also...
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of original nitrate Technicolor negatives!
MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID (1952)
Run Time 110:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Vintage Pete Smith Specialty short "Reducing"; Vintage Cartoon "The Wise Little Quaker" ; Audio-Only Bonus: Radio show with Esther Williams and Walter Pidgeon; Theatrical Trailer (HD).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1159 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm glad we're getting more B&W 40s movies from WA, but they are aware that they're still sitting on hundreds of great Noirs, right?

Mr. Deltoid

#1160 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 pm
I'm glad we're getting more B&W 40s movies from WA, but they are aware that they're still sitting on hundreds of great Noirs, right?
Tell me about it! An Archive release of Angel Face or Crime Wave would be a tonic at the moment.

Glowingwabbit

#1161 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:09 pm

All 3 of those are currently on HBO Max. I wonder if that will be a good predictor going forward.

Ribs

#1162 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:34 pm

NEW 2020 1080p master!

MICHAEL (1996)
Run Time 106:00
Subtitles English SDH
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16X9 Widescreen
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Would-be ghosts. UFO voyagers. A chicken that pecks out the “Moonlight Sonata” on the piano – blindfolded! They’re the kinds of stories that keep the National Mirror in the nation’s shopping carts. And they’re the kinds of stories that make the tabloid’s reporters think they’ve heard and seen it all. But that’s before they meet Michael. He may be a grubby party animal who knows his way around a dance floor, but Michael is very much an angel. And with John Travolta in the title role, Michael is very much a divine romantic comedy. William Hurt, Andie MacDowell and Robert Pastorelli are writers sent by boss Bob Hoskins to get an exclusive on the heavenly visitor. The journalists want a page-one scoop. But their subject has a far more joyous and life-affirming plan in mind.

Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Grand Wazoo

#1163 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Now that's a cover.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1164 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Michaél is everyone's favorite foreign film

Ribs

#1165 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:51 pm

It's a truly, deeply, wildly strange movie, that I both had no idea was WB and definitely didn't expect to ever see on BD. Definitely in a similar tier to something like The Accidental Tourist where I feel like "well, thankfully the random spinning wheel that determines the WB archive releases picked one for me instead of some other thing I've never heard of"

senseabove

#1166 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:21 pm

Well, looks like HBO Max is a definite predictor:
SpoilerShow
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of original camera negative!
PAT AND MIKE (1952)
Run Time 95:00
Subtitles English SDH
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4X3 FULL FRAME
Disc Configuration BD 50
The sun will sneak by a rooster before sports promoter Mike Conovan (Spencer Tracy) lets opportunity pass him by. So the first time he sees genteel Pat Pemberton (Katharine Hepburn) swing a five-iron, he decides to ink her to a pro contract. “Not much meat on her ,” Mike later says, “but what’s there is cherce.” For this chercest of romantic comedies, George Cukor directs, Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin provide the Oscar®-nominated screenplay, and a deft cast plays various Damon Runyonesque types, including Aldo Ray as a dim-bulb palooka and Charles (Bronson) Buchinski as a tough guy who finds Pat tougher. Sports stars of the day (like Babe Didrikson Zaharias and Gussie Moran) add to the Jocks-and-Jills fun. Let the games begin!
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer (HD), Animated Teaser Trailer (SD)

Ribs

#1167 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Michael isn’t on HBO Max though, so it’s not 1:1 definite that something won’t come if it’s not there.

senseabove

#1168 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Oh, yeah, just meant to point out that if something shows up with an HD master on HBO Max, it may be newly dependable evidence a BD is forthcoming. I'll be curious to see if this was just a launch-window bonus, or if they add new titles next month.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1169 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:47 pm
Michaél is everyone's favorite foreign film
Didn't realize Travolta and Dreyer collaborated until today :-k

FrauBlucher

#1170 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I wonder why Paul Muni's work from the 30's has largely been ignored from either the Archive and previously the mainline WB. He was arguably the biggest star of the 30s. I do have hopes that I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang gets a Criterion release, but will take it from WAC for sure. BTW... When it plays on TCM it looks great, like it's be remastered

captveg

#1171 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:28 pm

They're announcing titles for July and August it seems. So probably a few more to come.

Ribs

#1172 Post by Ribs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:41 pm

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of best surviving archival elements!
SpoilerShow
WITHOUT LOVE (1945)
Run Time 110:00
Subtitles English SDH
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1; 4X3 FULL FRAME
Disc Configuration BD 50

Every rental is rented, every sublet is let in crowded Washington, D.C. So Jamie Rowan does her part for the wartime lodging crunch by sharing her home with military inventor Pat Jamieson. There are a few conditions, natch. First, for appearances, they must get married. Second, there’s plenty of room for each other...but no room for love. Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn team for the third time in Without Love, played for laughs and, above all, with love. Donald Ogden Stewart adapts Philip Barry’s play (five years earlier, both helped shape Hepburn’s comeback movie, The Philadelphia Story).

Special Features: Vintage Crime Does Not Pay short "Purity Squad"; Classic Cartoon "Swing Shift Cinderella; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Glowingwabbit

#1173 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Another one that's under the tcm banner on HBO Max currently.

ianthemovie

#1174 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am

Fingers crossed that Adam's Rib is coming, if they're putting out a bunch of the Hepburn/Tracy films.

JakeStewart

#1175 Post by JakeStewart » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 am
Fingers crossed that Adam's Rib is coming, if they're putting out a bunch of the Hepburn/Tracy films.
I wonder if the strings being visible in the courtroom scene will hold things up a bit. Pun intended I guess.