Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
ianthemovie

Re: Twin Peaks

#1276 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 am

I've always assumed Cahiers counted the entire run of the TV series plus FWWM as a film, considering that all of it was overseen by Lynch even if he didn't direct every episode.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1277 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm with you, Finch. That being said, if anyone (without the level of OCD I have re: breaking up box sets) plans to buy this and doesn't plan on doing anything with the UHD disc, reach out to me and I'll pay a nice chunk of change for it. Having that episode from The Return in that resolution is worth it to me.
Reminder - if you get this set and don't need the UHD disc, I'll send you... oh, let's say $20 for it - just slide into the PMs

ford

#1278 Post by ford » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
I'm with you, Finch. That being said, if anyone (without the level of OCD I have re: breaking up box sets) plans to buy this and doesn't plan on doing anything with the UHD disc, reach out to me and I'll pay a nice chunk of change for it. Having that episode from The Return in that resolution is worth it to me.
Reminder - if you get this set and don't need the UHD disc, I'll send you... oh, let's say $20 for it - just slide into the PMs

I'll be glad to have the pilot and episode 8 in UHD just wish they could've expanded that to UHD's of all Lynch-directed episodes of seasons 1 and 2 (he only directed six episodes total, including the pilot) and the season 3 finale which I think was even better than episode 8.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1279 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm

That's the reason I can't bring myself to buy this set, because I'm holding out hope that the entire series will be restored in UHD and released as a box set. In fact, I'm almost certain this will happen eventually. That said, my temptation to see this stuff is too powerful not to want to get my hands on this disc from someone who's UHD-agnostic and has completely written off the format, which is a surprisingly strong contingent on this forum

black&huge

#1280 Post by black&huge » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm
That's the reason I can't bring myself to buy this set, because I'm holding out hope that the entire series will be restored in UHD and released as a box set.
This is exactly my thought too. Although I wanna own the third season mostly so if the current blu set drops in price during black friday I'll snag otherwise I'll wait for the inevitable 4k box.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1281 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Discussion of The Return topping the Cahiers decade list begins here, with the posts from this thread about this moved because it quickly veered off topic to discussing other films on the list, etc.

Finch

#1282 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 pm

Janus tweets The Return image with FWWM quote

Odd Janus would tweet this. Can't imagine anyone but the hugest Peaks fans wanting to triple dip on a Criterion release of The Return. And an image from The Return would be weird to use to remind people that there's a Criterion edition of FWWM (though it does quote from the film).

black&huge

#1283 Post by black&huge » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 am

I got the original blu release of The Return at an insane sale price and wouldn't mind a double dip if they pretty this up features wise but this is actually one of the few things I'd like to see a UHD release of down the line and Criterion will more than most likely not do that.

Also wasn't there talk that Lynch reedited the entire thing into whole new (and shorter) version? Maybe this will be a very odd move to do a standalone release of it it in fact Lynch did do a new editm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1284 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:50 am

Isn't it usual for Janus to tweet things with no particular meaning except a more general link towards a director ?

Peter-H

#1285 Post by Peter-H » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm

So there's this 4 1/2 hour "explanation" video for Twin Peaks that's nearing a million views; right now it's the very first thing that pops up if you type "Twin Peaks" into youtube. I think it's a shame that it's become such a popular interpretation because I think it approaches Twin Peaks in entirely the wrong way, but other people may feel differently so I thought I'd post it here.

wattsup32

#1286 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Peter-H wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm
So there's this 4 1/2 hour "explanation" video for Twin Peaks that's nearing a million views; right now it's the very first thing that pops up if you type "Twin Peaks" into youtube. I think it's a shame that it's become such a popular interpretation because I think it approaches Twin Peaks in entirely the wrong way, but other people may feel differently so I thought I'd post it here.
What's the right way and how does this approach diverge from that way?

Finch

#1287 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:45 pm

I'd rather watch the videos by Lost In The Movies than the one linked to above. The guy is a bit full of himself and his Lynch impersonation is cringe worthy. I tuned out after 15 minutes.

Peter-H

#1288 Post by Peter-H » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 pm

wattsup32 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 pm
Peter-H wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm
What's the right way and how does this approach diverge from that way?
I think this post on Reddit puts it better than I could. "Worldfaraway" is sometimes too personal in his criticism, but overall I think that in both the OP and the comment section he does a good job articulating what I think the problems with this video are. But people can check out the video themselves and make up their own mind.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1289 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:

Last call before I break down and buy this set from the UK, where it's $91 shipped to the U.S. right now on Amazon. Would pay $25 shipped just for the UHD disc in its sleeve.

colinr0380

#1291 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:02 pm

There are also those coffee commericals too. That's the thing that made it even funnier when Swery, creator of the extremely Twin Peaks-styled video game Deadly Premonition, apparently claimed that he had never seen Twin Peaks before making it!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1292 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Japan was also the only place you could get a box set of the entire series on laserdisc, with a bonus 8" "guide disk." Looks like it was printed in decent numbers too, since it goes for ten bucks or less on Yahoo Auctions. Significantly rarer is the "Visual Soundtrack" disc that you can now watch on Youtube.

colinr0380

#1293 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:56 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Significantly rarer is the "Visual Soundtrack" disc that you can now watch on Youtube.
That's fantastic and significantly easier to watch that than scheduling a pilgrimage to the locations in person! Although visiting virtually means that I am unable to spend all of my money in the local diner or pick up one of those truly hideous looking commemorative T-shirts for myself, as lingered on in the final "Falling" video!

I wonder if that video created in response to the large number of tourists as mentioned in that Entertainment Tonight report? And, wait, the end credits say that the cameraman was Hideo Kojima? (?!?!)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1294 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:27 pm

I won't rule it out (we know Kojima likes Twin Peaks enough that he made his staff watch the first three episodes of S3 as prep for Death Stranding), but "Hideo Kojima" is a pretty common name. Kojima himself has said that he was one of three Hideo Kojimas in his kindergarten class. My guess is that it's a different guy.

whaleallright

#1295 Post by whaleallright » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am

Thanks for that Entertainment Tonight video! Gotta love the surfer bro they get to do the English-language VO translation of the Japanese interviewee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4OhvkkHR4&t=1m24s

ianthemovie

#1296 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Random question about Episode 15 of the original series: in the version from the "gold box" DVD, is the Louis Armstrong song "What a Wonderful World" playing on the record player in the scene where Maddy tells Leland and Sarah that she's leaving? I just rewatched this episode on Netflix and I could swear that when I had seen it previously on DVD that song wasn't playing in that scene. I wondered whether they had lost the music rights to it, or whether my memory is going.

PfR73

#1297 Post by PfR73 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:03 pm

You mean at the beginning of Episode 14? If so, yes, the song is there.

ianthemovie

#1298 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:48 pm

Thanks-- and yes, that episode (I was counting the pilot as Episode 1).

PfR73

#1299 Post by PfR73 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm

Makes sense, I was going by the titles on the DVD when looking for the right episode. I first went to Episode 15 and was like "uhhh, that scene is nowhere in this one."

Finch

#1300 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Made a day trip to North Bend and Snoqualmie before our pending move to the East Coast and filmed a speculative Season 4 opening credits sequence as a fun side project that I've always wanted to do. I've shot the footage, edited it, edited the theme music and added some sound effects, and graded a little in DaVinci Resolve.

My Season 4 Opening Credits

If Wisteria/Unrecorded Night turns out to be a fourth season, that'll be just as fine for me as a completely new show or a spin off would.