Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
bad future

Re: Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

#101 Post by bad future » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm
Criterion isn’t a third party vendor. Third party vendors are the Marketplace stores that are sometimes fulfilled by Amazon
Maybe I misunderstood or simply read the news from a source that didn't articulate this nuance, but I was under the impression that this applied to anything that might be coming into their warehouses. I guess this is the original announcement and it does seem to be directed at third-party sellers, but it does contain the line "We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors." Of course maybe that's just what they'd say to reassure the mom-and-pops before giving lots of breaks to bigger companies...

Adam X

#102 Post by Adam X » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:20 pm

No, I’d say your reading’s correct, bad future. Prior to the sentence you highlighted, their message (to Amazon sellers) states:
we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so that we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers.

For products other than these, we have temporarily disabled shipment creation. We are taking a similar approach with retail vendors.
I’d read that as meaning that’s the approach Amazon are taking for direct sales, and are taking “a similar approach with retail vendors”, meaning Amazon sellers (or actual companies selling their wares via Amazon, such as home video labels, and they’re primarily addressing a change in approach to handling Marketplace orders, but the result’s essentially the same). This is Amazon US, but it’s possibly why UK orders currently aren’t shipping out. Anyway, this is now turning into an Amazon thread... :-#

captveg

#103 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 pm

With California shutting down every level of the entertainment industry today if unable to be done from home that essentially stops all disc authoring and adjacent home entertainment businesses. So expect a lot of these announced releases for April or later to be delayed indefinitely.

hearthesilence

#104 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 am

A legend in the documentary world, Gordon Quinn of Kartemquin Films has been hospitalized with COVID-19.

"[His wife] Meg just told me they put Gordon on a ventilator at midnight last night because he couldn't breathe. Please spread the news about this site as we'll keep it up to date with the latest news. Please pray, wish hard or do whatever you can to bring good health back to this wonderful man."

hearthesilence

#105 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 am

Also documentary filmmaker Michelle Esrick:

"I have Covid-19. Was hospitalized on Tuesday 3/17 for not being able to breathe. Pneumonia set in which can be part of the progression of Covid-19...I qualified for trial drug- hydroxy chloroquine which they started me on. My symptoms began on Tuesday evening March 10th. Sudden Fever- dry cough- exhaustion- chills- congestion in nose and chest. I stayed home for one week but my symptoms worsened and became hard to breathe. My doctor send me to hospital for re-evaluation and they admitted me. I'm on Covid-19 quarantine unit. It's very scary and isolating. Doctors and nurses come in with protective gear. No visitors allowed, no flowers allowed- nothing can come in. I have no clue where I got it. I'm the first person I know who got it. Please send prayers- songs- videos. The isolation is getting to me on top of being so ill. I hope I will get through it. Be safe everyone- this is very real."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#106 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:36 pm

Just got an email from my local theatre about this that revealed Oscilloscope is also participating

Nasir007

#107 Post by Nasir007 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Wonder Woman 1984 straight to VOD? And no it is not because of the Imagine video.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 pm

If Wonder Woman 1984 really goes digital, the floodgates are going to open from all studios

yoloswegmaster

#109 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:33 pm

I honestly don't believe that they will release a film that would probably make over a $1 billion on streaming services first. I would bet that they will reschedule this for a later date.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#110 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

I feel similarly, which is my point: if they do go this route, things must truly look dire and everyone will follow suit (and it may have permanent effects on the theatrical model forever after)

Big Ben

#111 Post by Big Ben » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:47 pm

kcota17

#113 Post by kcota17 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm

I’m sure other arthouse theaters will follow suit, but my local arthouse theater The Loft is offering to rent online what would have been some of their March release such as Saint Frances, Corpus Christi and Bacurau.

https://loftcinema.org/

therewillbeblus

#114 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:19 am

Gal Gadot’s awful Instagram Imagine video and the consequential heckling comments sum up this thread title pretty well. And it’s only barely week two of chaos.

therewillbeblus

#116 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:41 am

That was hilariously on point, thanks for sharing

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#117 Post by swo17 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:42 am

therewillbeblus

#118 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:45 am

I’ll say, I’m crying

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#119 Post by soundchaser » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 am

Not that I think “Imagine” is any great shakes to begin with, but is there a smidge of irony in someone pro-IDF singing about there being no countries and/or religion?

kcota17

#120 Post by kcota17 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:18 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#121 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Debi Mazar latest celeb to test positive

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#122 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Just got an email from my local theatre about this that revealed Oscilloscope is also participating
Film Movement is also doing virtual screenings paired with theaters, so right now you can support local, independent theaters and stream:

New Films:
Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles' Bacurau (Cannes 2019)
Jan Komasa's Corpus Christi (2019 International Film Oscar nominee)
Diao Yinan's The Wild Goose Lake (Cannes 2019)
Bertrand Bonello's Zombi Child (Cannes 2019)

Repertory Screenings:
Bruno Barreto's Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands
Luchino Visconte's L'Innocente

senseabove

#123 Post by senseabove » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:59 pm

And jump to the "Playing" section to see the list of "virtual screening rooms" that are available for each movie, e.g. https://www.filmmovement.com/the-wild-g ... ke#playing

Orlac

#124 Post by Orlac » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 pm
Debi Mazar latest celeb to test positive
I hope the cure turns out to be a charred heart of black boar, a side of raw donkey meat, and a sterno and grain alcohol.

Adam X

#125 Post by Adam X » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Be careful what you wish for.