Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

#76 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:12 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:10 pm
It will certainly make oscar season weird.
I wonder if they’d just consolidate years?

knives

#77 Post by knives » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:17 pm

That's a curious proposition, but not totally unprecedented.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#78 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:19 pm

I've been arguing for that for years

aox

#79 Post by aox » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:17 pm
That's a curious proposition, but not totally unprecedented.
That's going to completely "Grover Cleveland" the 100 year Oscar celebration in 2029 and subsequent counts.

Ribs

#80 Post by Ribs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm

I view this as presently extremely unlikely to have any impact on Oscar season beyond a few potential early hitters coming out a little later and some movies (The Last Duel and King Richard two big ones) very unlikely to be completed in time (I don’t know how far along either was, but if it’s just a week or two left it’s possible to still film parts at the end of the Summer and have it ready, but that would seem extremely unlikely though All the Money in the World demonstrates studios can move heaven and Earth to get emergency filming done in time.) Most of the movies should firmly be in the editing/grading/testing phase by now and there’s no particular reason that work can’t progress. The likely lack of a Cannes will definitely have more of a bearing on the international/art film market as the only Oscar track movie that seemed likely to bow is the French Dispatch (maybe Ammonite also). I think we’re going to see whenever this does lapse be it in June or August or September that we’ll be overloaded with movies, with several wide and limited releases getting out very quickly for a hungry public. If it had happened any later in the year maybe but the timing just about works out that overlap of time with awards season should be minimal or nonexistant.

Cremildo

#81 Post by Cremildo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm

According to Deadline, Ridley Scott had filmed about an hour's worth of footage for The Last Duel, and is currently editing said material. Given how quickly he is known to work, I have little reason to doubt the film will be ready by the end of the year - provided that production resumes in a few months.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#82 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:29 pm

colinr0380

#83 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 am

I think celebrities are going a bit stir crazy on Twitter: Anthony Hopkins is playing music to his cat, Arnold Schwarzenegger is smoking cigars in his pool, and post-Cats Judi Dench has started dressing like a dog.

And of course Sam Neill is most sensibly of all simply just laundering and sniffing his collection of sneakers.

knives

#84 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:24 am

Well, at least he isn't yet laughing at the film of his life.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#85 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 am

A bunch of upcoming releases in my Amazon UK cart just changed status to "currently unavailable"

Cash Flagg

#86 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 am

Same. I was able to take in-stock items to the Place Your Order page, however.

Cash Flagg

#87 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm

I was told by an Amazon rep, in regard to an in-stock order that hadn't shipped, that "it looks like we are having issues in shipping items to different countries, and most of the international order are not being shipped." No timetable, of course. So it appears that they aren't shipping to the US/internationally at all, either in-stock or pre-order. Since 3/4 of the items in my order are limited editions, as are most of my pre-orders, I'm wondering if they will all be out of print by the time they're able to ship internationally. Do we know if Arrow and Indicator are still shipping overseas? I might have to transfer my items, where applicable, directly to them.

hearthesilence

#88 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Caught a few talk shows that were now filming from home. It was just like Krusty's efforts to stay on the air.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm
I was told by an Amazon rep, in regard to an in-stock order that hadn't shipped, that "it looks like we are having issues in shipping items to different countries, and most of the international order are not being shipped." No timetable, of course. So it appears that they aren't shipping to the US/internationally at all, either in-stock or pre-order. Since 3/4 of the items in my order are limited editions, as are most of my pre-orders, I'm wondering if they will all be out of print by the time they're able to ship internationally. Do we know if Arrow and Indicator are still shipping overseas? I might have to transfer my items, where applicable, directly to them.
Have you tried the express shipping? I was able to place an order on Friday and received it Monday via DHL

Cash Flagg

#90 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Do you mean AmazonGlobal Priority (the fastest/most expensive option)? I just re-ordered the BDs as well as one other in-stock one that was part of another order with that method, so we'll see. Thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Yep, that one. It’s actually the only way I order from Amazon.co.uk anyways because it’s quick and trackable (always goes out either via UPS or DHL)

Adam X

#92 Post by Adam X » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:45 pm

From Vinegar Syndrome's latest newsletter...
We have no control over any of our third party retailers, such as Amazon, which announced earlier this week that it would be suspending recieving new supply shipments from non-medical merchants until at least April 3rd.

therewillbeblus

#93 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 pm

I'd been doing the middle option for a while (Global Standard?) but recently switched to Priority, since it's just not worth waiting months, or even a few weeks after a blu ray is released. This was a good reminder to change my last order placed around the holidays to Priority since those were due for end of April/May and now it'll be here in a week or so.

When I first started dabbling in overseas I just chose the cheapest standard shipping option and wouldn't get any of my movies (of course), so because I was slow to figure it out the process would be wait until it was three weeks passed due date, get on chat with a rep, they'd cancel and ship it express. That got old very fast.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#95 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:36 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#96 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Evangeline Lilly is not practicing social distancing, despite having a high risk family member and self-describing as immune compromised

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#97 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah, some people I know are "finding their own way" through all of this, which I might partly blame on lack of a consistent, focused message from the top, but also natural selection

bad future

#98 Post by bad future » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Obviously this is low on the list of things worth sweating at the moment, but since this is the thread for it: Amazon’s policy as of a few days ago seems to be that their warehouses are only accepting essential medical and home supplies, but they’ll still ship anything already in stock. Does anyone have any idea how far ahead Criterion releases would be distributed? Wondering if my Cranes Are Flying preorder might go through (in the US.) Definitely don’t mind waiting for the current strain to end though, however long it takes; I know I’ll be relying on online shopping for some home supplies for the foreseeable future myself.

Glowingwabbit

#99 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 pm

bad future wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm
Obviously this is low on the list of things worth sweating at the moment, but since this is the thread for it: Amazon’s policy as of a few days ago seems to be that their warehouses are only accepting essential medical and home supplies, but they’ll still ship anything already in stock. Does anyone have any idea how far ahead Criterion releases would be distributed? Wondering if my Cranes Are Flying preorder might go through (in the US.) Definitely don’t mind waiting for the current strain to end though, however long it takes; I know I’ll be relying on online shopping for some home supplies for the foreseeable future myself.
I was gonna say perhaps order it straight from Criterion since they also have it at 30% off, but it says unavailable on their site.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Criterion isn’t a third party vendor. Third party vendors are the Marketplace stores that are sometimes fulfilled by Amazon