307 Naked

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
matrixschmatrix

Re: 307 Naked

#51 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:24 pm

In the commentary, Leigh describes the scene where Louise threatens Jeremy with a kitchen knife as his come-uppance- Leigh observes that essentially what Jeremy deserves is to have her go through with it, but it's not that kind of movie and they aren't that kind of people so the threat is as close as they could come.

I think Johnny is a reasonably sympathetic character, even without the force of comparison to Jeremy, in the same way Bogey in In a Lonely Place is- both have a cruel streak that seems to come from an impulse towards self-destruction, and both have problems that seem to spring from mental issues (PTSD or borderline personality disorder in Bogey's case, schizophrenia or something like it in Johnny's.) Johnny seems to turn nasty to people largely as a way to punish them for liking him. That doesn't excuse Johnny's actions in any way, but it makes it possible to pity him, rather than simply reviling him. Jeremy, though you could argue that his evil springs from mental issues as well (as it's hard to imagine a mentally well-balanced person behaving as he does,) seems utterly unsympathetic, merely a walking avatar of his class.

Tom Hagen

#52 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 am

Finally got around to this one last night myself. I wish it would have been a short film consisting of Johnny and the nightwatchman. That was some seriously masterful stuff.

The rest of the movie? A little much on the "our protagonist may be a hatefucking misanthrope who doesn't fully understand "stop", but at least he's not a full-bore yuppie rapist sociopath" for my taste. I read Taubin's essay, and she certainly tries her best to spin it more charitably, but I just don't see it.

skuhn8

#53 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Finally got around to this one last night myself. I wish it would have been a short film consisting of Johnny and the nightwatchman. That was some seriously masterful stuff.

The rest of the movie? A little much on the "our protagonist may be a hatefucking misanthrope who doesn't fully understand "stop", but at least he's not a full-bore yuppie rapist sociopath" for my taste. I read Taubin's essay, and she certainly tries her best to spin it more charitably, but I just don't see it.
I had the same view the first couple viewings. Was always impressed with Naked, more for it's being such an extreme departure from the typical Hollywood fare, but thought the raving misanthrope bit got stale. Years later I revisited and finally felt his humanity. The guy's mind is just blazing in a hard-driving orbit, but underneath it he's trying desperately to make a connection with another soul. It really came out for me when he visits and then is tossed out by the meal kitchen gal who misinterprets his aggressive behavior as threatening. He is honestly surprised and disappointed as his banter to him is merely a thousand insect like probes into the environment around him. I've watched a few times since and every viewing I see additional hints of this inner warm human reaching out. Though of course if you don't see it then the above just sounds like a load of apologetic crap. I think the hard part in overcoming the harsh exterior is the fact that we're introduced to the character during what appears to be a rape. Certainly can't blame folks for writing him off on that note.

Tom Hagen

#54 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 pm

I definitely saw his humanity. Underneath all of the layers of posturing, you see it in the scene with the security guard, which I thought was incredible. You also see the same in his banter with the Scot; there was some very nuanced characterization taking place there. It would take another viewing for me to fully reconcile myself to the sexual politics however.

Magic Hate Ball

#55 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Would anybody happen to have the radio drama "Too Much of a Good Thing" that was an extra on the laserdisc?

Peter-H

#56 Post by Peter-H » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 am

Does anyone else think that the score almost single-handedly ruined an otherwise spectacular film? That one three chord song is playing over and over and over through just about 50% of the movie. I'm sure this was supposed to reflect the character's repetitive lives or something, but it really took me out of it.

Roscoe

#57 Post by Roscoe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am

Peter-H wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 am
Does anyone else think that the score almost single-handedly ruined an otherwise spectacular film? That one three chord song is playing over and over and over through just about 50% of the movie. I'm sure this was supposed to reflect the character's repetitive lives or something, but it really took me out of it.
Not I. I rather like the stripped down, low-key score. I don't think I'd buy the soundtrack, but it works well enough for me in the film.

bearcuborg

#58 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

It’s a lot of harp if memory recalls, and being such an odd instrument for the movie, it works for me. The way it suddenly comes on is often unsettling. It’s almost difficult for me to imagine Mike Leigh movies without Dick Pope or Andrew Dickson.

Peter-H

#59 Post by Peter-H » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am
Peter-H wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 am
Not I. I rather like the stripped down, low-key score. I don't think I'd buy the soundtrack, but it works well enough for me in the film.
I also like the stripped down low key score; however I felt it was overused to the point that it lost all impact.

bearcuborg

#60 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I’ve often thought that about Spike Lee and Kazan...

Seeing On the Waterfront the first time was amazing, but seeing it again many years ago was excruciating....