'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3576 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 am

"All of these are bad", and the first one they show is a masterpiece.

It's not just a clickbait, it reads like a 20-something (maybe even younger) who probably thinks (s)he knows stuff about movies (at least enough to make a list about some of them and have a few arguments about why they're poor movies), but actually has an extremely superficial look at them and just shows how little (s)he actually knows about these movies.
And some "arguments" about why these movies are bad are probably even worse than the movies themselves. "Saturday Night Fever is bad just because, well, it's bad."

Yeah, right.

Mr Sausage

#3577 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 am

The Godfather doesn't have an ending? Huh?

Roger Ryan

#3578 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am

I love how the critic believes Hitchcock made an unintentional "black comedy" with Psycho and then turns around and criticizes The Graduate for having characters who behave impulsively. There are forty years of cinema here under attack with Love Story shoved next to Raging Bull (as an example of how Scorsese apes Tarantino by randomly killing off his characters - never mind that no one dies in this particular film); how is this supposed to represent a single generation?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3579 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am

Let's be fair, it just look like an Armond White critic : not only it's non sense, but it tries to find a pattern in this on top of it.

Banasa

#3580 Post by Banasa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am

Mr Sausage wrote:The Godfather doesn't have an ending? Huh?
I have a sinking feeling whoever wrote this is mixing up The Godfather with The Sopranos

Big Ben

#3581 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

The point was to get you to click the next button twenty one times on their shitpost so you'd generate ad revenue each time the page loaded. What happens next will surprise you.

Dead or Deader

#3582 Post by Dead or Deader » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:I love how the critic believes Hitchcock made an unintentional "black comedy" with Psycho and then turns around and criticizes The Graduate for having characters who behave impulsively. There are forty years of cinema here under attack with Love Story shoved next to Raging Bull (as an example of how Scorsese apes Tarantino by randomly killing off his characters - never mind that no one dies in this particular film); how is this supposed to represent a single generation?
The critic who wrote this clickbait junk definitely has gaps in their knowledge of cinema. If you honesty believe a filmmaker who was as well-established by 1992 as Scorsese was stealing from Tarantino style, never mind the countless homages in QT films, you really shouldn't be writing columns about film. It all strikes me as written from the perspective of a college film student who holds grudges against the boomer film professor that graded him with a F.

bottled spider

#3583 Post by bottled spider » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm

A young woman witnesses a bus accident, and is caught up in the aftermath, where the question of whether or not it was intentional affects many people’s lives.
Another snort inducing Letterboxd plot summary. They gotta being doing it on purpose.

MichaelB

'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3584 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Assuming that that’s Margaret, it’s not technically wrong, although I agree that it leaves a bit to be desired.

I once summarised Jan Švankmajer’s Conspirators of Pleasure as “Six people decide to have a wank, and then have one.” Which is pretty much entirely accurate, although again it lacks a certain something.

bottled spider

#3585 Post by bottled spider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm

What amused me was that there's no question of the bus driver intentionally running anyone over! Replacing "intentional" with "criminally negligent" would be a reasonably accurate one-sentence TV Guide summary.

Big Ben

#3586 Post by Big Ben » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 pm

It's a popular meme now to explain film plots badly actually. One of the most popular is "Several individuals struggle to return a single piece of jewelry.". This is of course the much known plot of Lord of the Rings.

aox

#3587 Post by aox » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Big Ben wrote:It's a popular meme now to explain film plots badly actually. One of the most popular is "Several individuals struggle to return a single piece of jewelry.". This is of course the much known plot of Lord of the Rings.
It's like that meme from a decade ago describing movies backwards:
If you watch the movie `Jaws' backwards, it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#3588 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

aox wrote:
it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
That sounds like an awesome movie.

Werewolf by Night

#3589 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

And then there's this classic from 1998.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#3590 Post by Brian C » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
aox wrote:
it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
That sounds like an awesome movie.
Barfnado?

McCrutchy

#3591 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

This kind of fits in here. It's not a movie review, but it's still amazing.

Kylie Jenner's "review" of SnapChat just cost the company $1.3 billion on the stock market
Kylie Jenner wrote:sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me... ugh this is so sad.
Imagine if film reviews could do that kind of box office damage, or have the reverse effect, and cause a film's take to explode at the box office. Sadly, such times are probably behind us, but it's comforting to know that such power rests in such well-manicured hands.

Big Ben

#3592 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm

No there's some merit to it. Trump told everyone on Twitter that Ben Affleck would do great as Batman. That did turn out so well did it? Sad!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3593 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 pm

I remember when the academy rewarded amazing films like Titanic, The Return of the King, Gladiator, The Matrix or Beautiful Mind.
Now they are rewarding incredible low quality films like The Hurt Locker (exactly the same garbage as Dunyayi Kurtaran Adam or the Ed Wood films), Birdman (tasteless), The Artist (tasteless, boring and not a silent movie at all), Chicago (Boring) or Argo(tasteless).
Now they have garbage like Blade runner 2049 (The worst mysoginistic distophia and a complete fascist film , with a very goofy Rachel CG and a very goofy ending), Kong Skull Island (Incredibly awful movie with the most stupid and worst CGI that I’ve seen in my life, with wrong and strange helicopters, goofy CG King Kong, goofy and improperly lit sun), The Last Jedi (Incompetent, absurd, stupid, big, big, GREAT re-hash of all the star war movies, goofy CG rocks, ridiculous glass fox, inconsistent script) or garbage like that.
Some members of the academy say they are cornered against the wall, and then reward the best of that garbage in these conditions. This is false. They are rewarding the best who they thought, just because the academy is incredibly BIASED against other genres, like good science fiction movies (not garbage like the last Jedi).
So, for me, the Oscars are exactly like The Razzies now. They only reward the worst of the year.
Only they saw the buzz, not the quality.

Boosmahn

#3594 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Now they are rewarding incredible low quality films like ... Birdman (tasteless) ... Now they have garbage like Blade runner 2049 (The worst mysoginistic distophia and a complete fascist film , with a very goofy Rachel CG and a very goofy ending), ... So, for me, the Oscars are exactly like The Razzies now. They only reward the worst of the year.
Only they saw the buzz, not the quality.
Who wrote this? I was indifferent towards Blade Runner: 2049 but think it's far from bland, misogynistic (?), or even boring. CGI was perfectly fine if I'm remembering correctly.

Also, Birdman is tasteless? While I wholeheartedly disagree with the argument that it's pretentious, I understand where people are coming from for that reasoning. But, tasteless? That's a new one.

Ribs

#3595 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 pm

It has two women kissing for a single moment is presumably the problem

fiddlesticks

#3596 Post by fiddlesticks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Portrait of the author:

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3597 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 am

What I love most is how he remembers movies like Return of the King being awarded but now they are rewarding movies like Chicago, but Chicago is from 2002 and RotK 2003.
I'm surprised the writer hasn't talked about Shakespeare in Love, though.

bottled spider

#3598 Post by bottled spider » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:18 pm

There's a good erasure poem in there somewhere. Wrong and strange helicopters... improperly lit sun... ridiculous glass fox...

I also liked "cornered against the wall", refusing to settle for "cornered" or "backed against the wall" when he can have both.

zedz

#3599 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 pm

bottled spider wrote:There's a good erasure poem in there somewhere. Wrong and strange helicopters... improperly lit sun... ridiculous glass fox...
Hey! If you're going to post the tracklist for the next Guided by Voices album, you should spoiler tag it!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3600 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Bizarre review of Phantom Thread on Amazon:
The Ali G Show of movies
By Strum N. Drangon March 21, 2018
Format: DVD

Imagine you assemble the greatest talent in cinema - gifted director, amazing actors, fantastic cinematographer, incredible costume dedigner, expressive music composer, etc. After recruiting all the best talent, you give them the assignment: create a major motion picture using the most pedestrian and boring script ever written. Recall the comedian who assembled brilliant PhD's and accomplished experts to try to engage them in the stupidest debates - the Ali G Show? This movie uses all the best cinema talent in a similarly wasteful and foolish manner. Rarely has a film been more painfully awkward to watch; excruciatingly cringe-worthy!