It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 am 

Later credits included such staples of my youth as Clear And Present Danger and The Shawshank Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm 

Drummer Leon (Ndugu) Chancler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 pm 

John Gavin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm 

Gavin was in Sirk's remake of Imitation of Life of course but I always preferred A Time To Love and A Time To Die.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:29 pm 

Jóhann Jóhannsson.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:40 pm 

Terrible news. It’s always sad when any person of talent dies, but when they die at the height of their creative powers, it’s especially heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Wow, this week has been brutal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm 

antnield wrote:

That's really awful. I was a fan of his music before he got known for scoring films and then I met him while working on a short film he scored. He was not only hugely talented but also a really lovely man.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:51 pm 

His score for Sicario was so haunting, bleak and beautiful, that of among all the other impressive elements of that film, it has stayed with me the most.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm 

An autopsy is currently scheduled because they're not sure what happened. I'd venture to say a heart issue but it does make me feel any less devastated about this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

Still hope and fully expect his score for BR2049 to leak at some point. Maybe now sooner rather than later. Having it replaced by Zimmer's fine but generic and intentionally derivative one must have been devastating (same more or less for his experience on mother!).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 pm 

John Gavin

Not a major talent by any means, but yet still, Psycho, Spartacus, and two wonderful Douglas Sirk films. Not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 pm 

Vic Damone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm 

Tom Rapp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm 

Peter Hutchings, critic and historian who made a major contribution towards serious studies of English Gothic cinema in general and Hammer films and Terence Fisher in particular.

(Not to be confused with the film director Peter Hutchings, who as far as I'm aware is still very much alive.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 am 

MichaelB wrote:
Peter Hutchings, critic and historian who made a major contribution towards serious studies of English Gothic cinema in general and Hammer films and Terence Fisher in particular.

(Not to be confused with the film director Peter Hutchings, who as far as I'm aware is still very much alive.)

His books were a major part of my life when I was completing my Doctorate on Amicus. His book, the frankly misnamed Hammer and Beyond (it doesn't really go much beyond Hammer) is clearly a response to Pirie's A Heritage of Horrror by moving beyond the more purely auteurist approach of the earlier work. I often disagreed with it, but it's certainly provocative. I found the narrower his topic, the more valuable the result - his book on Terence Fisher is superior to Dixon's, and his book on Fisher's Dracula is as good as pretty much anything in the BFI Classics.

And then, one of the "minor changes" I was asked to make after my Viva was to reconsider my chapter on Freddie Francis in light of his chapter on Roy Ward Baker in British Cinema Past and Present. Actually, looking back on it, I can't remember why he wasn't asked to be my external examiner - he would have been an obvious choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 pm 

Kenneth Haigh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am 

Idrissa Ouedraogo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm 

Sorry to hear that. I saw Yaaba in St. Louis, MO, when I was 21 (probably '92), and it was one of the eye-openers for me with regard to the extent of "world" cinema and its unsuspected treasures and experiences beyond my insulated life. I haven't seen it since, but at the time, I thought it was an incredibly moving story.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 pm 

That is very sad news. I have not had the chance to see Yabba, but the three early 90s films which followed - Tilaï (The Law), Samba Traoré and Le cri du coeur (set in France) - are as important to African filmmaking as those of Ousmane Sembene. Wryly satirical and sociological too with an ever present sense of trying to place their specific stories into historical contexts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 am 

I really liked The Heart's Cry, the metaphorical nature of it is really well done. And it's a good companion to Sembene's Black Girl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:37 am 

Billy Graham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:49 pm 

Ren Osugi. Heart attack apparently. Probably mostly known for his appearances in Audition, Sonatine, Maborosi and the amazing Ozu-Pinku homage Abnormal Family: Older Brother's Bride.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 am 

Here's one of his big scenes in Hana-bi.

He's all over Japanese cinema, usually in supporting roles and in the genre end of things, everything from The Guard From Underground (Kiyoshi Kurosawa's first film) to one of the numerous cameos in Shin Godzilla! He's the lead in Takashi Miike's MPD (Multiple Personality Detective) Psycho series (and many, many other films by the director), in Yoichi Sai's Doing Time, Shunichi Nagasaki's Shikoku, Sion Sono's: Exte: Hair Extensions and so many more films.

Though of course he perhaps makes one of his strongest impressions as the spiral obsessed father coming to a literally twisted end in Uzumaki!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286