The Mindy Project

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

The Mindy Project

#1 Post by Murdoch » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm really enjoying The Mindy Project, the show has a similar vibe to New Girl which for me is a major plus and Mindy Kaling, who I thought would be rather tiresome as a lead, is actually balanced well with the ensemble surrounding her. What I like most about it - and what I think is becoming a general trend with comedies of this decade like Community, Parks and Rec, and maybe a few others - is that it's a show with a strong female presence that doesn't feel the need to wedge in an explicit will-they-won't-they romantic sideplot to keep viewers interested. The pilot was rough around the edges (like the surgery set to an MIA song) but the show has thankfully made Mindy's profession only one part of the show and has integrated her professional and social life well by expanding her circle of friends outside her work (which so many shows about office life inevitably fail to do).

Andre Jurieu

Re: TV of 2012

#2 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Murdoch wrote:I'm really enjoying The Mindy Project, the show has a similar vibe to New Girl which for me is a major plus and Mindy Kaling, who I thought would be rather tiresome as a lead, is actually balanced well with the ensemble surrounding her. What I like most about it - and what I think is becoming a general trend with comedies of this decade like Community, Parks and Rec, and maybe a few others - is that it's a show with a strong female presence that doesn't feel the need to wedge in an explicit will-they-won't-they romantic sideplot to keep viewers interested. The pilot was rough around the edges (like the surgery set to an MIA song) but the show has thankfully made Mindy's profession only one part of the show and has integrated her professional and social life well by expanding her circle of friends outside her work (which so many shows about office life inevitably fail to do).
If you're basing your opinion on this week's episode, then I agree. However, I was really worried about this show after watching the first couple of episodes. Honestly, part of the problem for me is that while I watch the show I can't help but think that I'm basically watching my sister's life, albeit (thankfully) with less-stable mental-health. Aside from that nagging suspicion, my problem with the first few episodes was that Mindy came off ridiculously self-centered/self-involved, almost like a poor-man's Kelly Kapoor, or a homeless-man's version of Jenna Maroney, though she at least appeared more qualified to perform her job. As well, those first episodes barely provided any screen-time for the other female characters, which seemed to just be there to make 30-second cameos. Thankfully this was somewhat rectified in this week's episode. I'm also kind of surprised by how one-dimensional the male-characters are, because they barely register as anything other than caricatures (well, other than the ex-con nurse, who is actually kind of awesome). I'm also getting annoyed by how obvious they are with the fact that Mindy and Castellano will eventually hook-up. Anyway, one thing for sure is that the show seems far more certain of what it wants to accomplish than New Girl did at this same stage.

Murdoch

#3 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 pm

I tend to be very forgiving of sitcoms in their first few episodes, unless they're wholly awful like Go On, so I've enjoyed each episode of the show so far (even the awkward pilot). I can't really separate Kaling from her Office character either, but I think that has more to do with the fact that she's basically playing a variation of herself in both shows. Although I do think that, even in the first episodes, Mindy's more grounded than Jenna Maroney, who seems to have gone off into the stratosphere of megalomania in the past few seasons of 30 Rock.

I misspoke in my earlier post because there is a definite will-they-won't-they between Mindy and Castellano, but it's not to the point where each episode devolves into Mindy screwing herself over in her attempts to get together with him (which I may notice only because I just ran through the entire series of Samantha Who? on netflix where nearly every episode concerns the lead and her ex-beau's relationship and the inane problems that stand in their way).

Andre Jurieu

#4 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Murdoch wrote:Although I do think that, even in the first episodes, Mindy's more grounded than Jenna Maroney, who seems to have gone off into the stratosphere of megalomania in the past few seasons of 30 Rock.
Agreed, which is what makes Mindy a homeless man's version of Jenna (who I'm more inclined to accept insane behaviour from since she's a caricature of self-absorbed actresses).

Murdoch

Re: The Mindy Project

#5 Post by Murdoch » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Timothy Olyphant to guest star next season. Maybe not big news for y'all, but it definitely increases my excitement for the upcoming season, which was already pretty high.

perkizitore

#6 Post by perkizitore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:03 pm

I really hate Timothy Olyphant's acting, this man has no depth in his performances at all, the only thing he does well are his trademark angry grimaces. I have watched Deadwood but not Justified, so his acting might have recently improved (although I doubt it).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah, definitely don't let a lack of exposure to his critically-acclaimed, commercially-popular, Emmy-nominated performance in Justified stop you from declaring he has no depth as an actor

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Were you sleeping through the entirety of Deadwood, perkizitore?

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm

I have watched it multiple times and I honestly think Calamity Jane and Seth Bullock were the least convincing characters in the entire series (it doesn't help that they are surrounded by some of the best character actors in the business).

rohming

#10 Post by rohming » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I really like this show. Kaling must have some special skills as a producer/writer because the show, based on the premise and format, should be pretty dull but it simply isn't--good writing, good cast, good comedic timing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Last season's low ratings have given way for even lower ratings for season two. Enjoy it while you can, fans. And of course Adam Pally just joined as a series regular. Between this and the Millers' inevitable cancellation, Happy Endings alums just can't catch a break

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:20 am

Mill Creek will be releasing the complete series on Blu-ray in January