Sharunas Bartas on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
alfons416

Sharunas Bartas on DVD

#1 Post by alfons416 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:03 pm

As far as i know the only Sharunas Bartas movies available on DVD is the French Trys Dienos / Three Days DVD wich also holds his short Praejusios dienos atminimui, and his part in the Visions of Europe project?

have i missed anything? is there any Bartas on DVD in Lithuania? anyone know of anything planed in other countries?

would love to have A Casa on DVD, and to be able to see his movies Freedom and Seven invisible men.

Skritek

#2 Post by Skritek » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm pretty sure there are no DVDs of his films in Lithuania, since I've searched for them pretty extensively once and haven't found anything.

But this Dutch company also released Trys Dienos on DVD with english subs, don't know about the quality though, since I haven't bought it.

alfons416

#3 Post by alfons416 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:44 pm

Skritek wrote:I'm pretty sure there are no DVDs of his films in Lithuania, since I've searched for them pretty extensively once and haven't found anything.

But this Dutch company also released Trys Dienos on DVD with english subs, don't know about the quality though, since I haven't bought it.
interesting, it looks identical to the french DVD, same extras, same subtitle-languages and a similar cover. I guess the french disc is a port of the dutch (or vice verca, but the dutch seem to have been released first).

They also got Koridorus listed as unreleased on their page (to be released in january 2008 it says) :D

Max Scharnberg

Movies on DVD by Sharunas Bartas

#4 Post by Max Scharnberg » Thu May 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Actually the Dutch firm "Moskwood Media" released "Trys Dienos" (Three Days) by Sharunas Bartas in November 2006, and I have a copy. The quality is excellent. It is subtitled in Dutch, German, English, French and Spanish. (There is a curious misprint. On the box "Catalanian" is falsely indicated, while on the movie it is "Castellanos" - I think the intention is to tell South American customers that these subtitles are in European-Spanish.)

Sorry, I have somehow lost the email-address to Moskwood Media".

alfons416

#5 Post by alfons416 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

Moskwood will release Koridorus next week (may 31), no extras and no subtitles (none needed).

anyone know what shippingprices moskwood got?

#6 Post by 134 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:18 am

Just received and watched the recent release of the Corridor on DVD by this Dutch company (www.moskwood.nl), and the quality of the image and sound is excellent. The film itself is absolutely stunning (for the admirers of Bartas that is), announcing the style that will be perfected in few of us and the house. Definitely recommend this DVD. The price is decent and they ship internationally (to UK in my case), it arrived about a week later. Looking forward to Moskwood Media taking over the now defunct Gemini Film project to release all films by Bartas!! (yeah OK, that's me dreaming here, but who knows?)

spencerw

#7 Post by spencerw » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:02 am

134 wrote:Just received and watched the recent release of the Corridor on DVD by this Dutch company (www.moskwood.nl), and the quality of the image and sound is excellent. The film itself is absolutely stunning (for the admirers of Bartas that is), announcing the style that will be perfected in few of us and the house. Definitely recommend this DVD. The price is decent and they ship internationally (to UK in my case), it arrived about a week later. Looking forward to Moskwood Media taking over the now defunct Gemini Film project to release all films by Bartas!! (yeah OK, that's me dreaming here, but who knows?)
I too have the DVD. The image on mine flickered from start to end. The image also tended to judder from side to side. Yours was different, I gather.

#8 Post by 134 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 am

spencerw wrote:I too have the DVD. The image on mine flickered from start to end. The image also tended to judder from side to side. Yours was different, I gather.
Yes actually I've noticed that on one occasion, in the scene of the demonstration on the bridge, with the flags going one way and a few passer-bys walking in the opposite direction: there were a few frames missing it seamed there (like a guy stepping twice on the right leg, this sort of thing), but that was the only time this was noticeable in the film. And even then this might not be down to the DVD transfer, but probably more to do with the original material, difficult to tell. As for the image moving around on the screen, I didn't notice it (but I've go a wide screen, so maybe it did eat into the left/right black border at some stage, that's not something I would have paid attention to). There were instances where the image was not stable (scene of the plaza from the window) but this was definitively the camera not being stabilized, nothing to do with the DVD itself.

Overall I think the image was really good quality, as the whole film is always oscillating between shades of grey, even sometimes pretty dark, and if the DVD transfer had not been truly good, you'd probably only see a black screen most of the time! which is not the case. Credit to Bartas of course, but the subtle lightening of the picture has been very well rendered on DVD I think.

alfons416

Re: Sharunas Bartas on DVD

#9 Post by alfons416 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 am

Looks like things are heppening in France, can anyone who knews french tell me what information there is here:

http://www.dvdparadoxe.com/bartas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

are the dvds of few of us & a casa released?

edit: They are, and i've just ordered them from Amazon, will report about the quality later.

sir karl

#10 Post by sir karl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:34 am

Wow, great news. Any chance of English subtitles with these releases (not that they are that important though)?

gyorgys

#11 Post by gyorgys » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:20 pm

alfons416 wrote:Looks like things are heppening in France, can anyone who knews french tell me what information there is here:

http://www.dvdparadoxe.com/bartas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

are the dvds of few of us & a casa released?

edit: They are, and i've just ordered them from Amazon, will report about the quality later.
Is there any news about the transfer quality of the Bartas' films on Les Films du Paradoxe? IIRC, the editions on the same label of the films of Kiarostami vary from good to excellent (source dependent).

EDIT: More information here.

alfons416

#12 Post by alfons416 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:07 am

Yeah, the quality is great!

A Casa and Few of Us, have no subtitles (none needed). the interviews with bartas are in english. Seven invisible men (unfortunately) has burnt in french subtitles.

some screencaps

Few of us:

A Casa:

Seven invisible men:

I've also seen the documentary An army of one and it's a short but good documentary about bartas.

gyorgys

#13 Post by gyorgys » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:24 am

Yeah, the quality is great!

A Casa and Few of Us, have no subtitles (none needed). the interviews with bartas are in english. Seven invisible men (unfortunately) has burnt in french subtitles.

some screencaps
Thanks for that and the captures! I will order all four.

P.S. Sorry to ask, but burnt in or forced subtitles for Seven Invisible Men?

Todd Feldspar

#14 Post by Todd Feldspar » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:10 pm

The subs on "Seven Invisible Men" are unfortunately burnt-in and quite large. Other than that, the quality is great.
Here's a screenshot: