The Girl in the Spider's Web (Fede Álvarez, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:55 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:52 am
The Girl In The Spider's Web
What, uh, is that accent?

knives

#3 Post by knives » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 am

Well, I guess that answers how this series can get worse.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:01 pm

You get the guy who thought the world needed a PG-13 Die Hard was a good idea to run your studio.

Lost Highway

#5 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:55 am
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:52 am
The Girl In The Spider's Web
What, uh, is that accent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (Fede Álvarez, 2018)

#7 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm

So much secondhand embarrassment

Boosmahn

#8 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm

What a shame. I would've loved having Fincher, Mara, and Craig return... or just any one of them, honestly.

What baffles me most is that Sony takes a seven-year-old franchise, recasts its two leads, director, and who knows how many how crew members, and - as a final nail in the coffin - gives it this horrible subtitle. I know the first one didn't do so well at the box office, but at least it was good.

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:09 pm

All the more baffling is that the Sony film division has changed considerably since that time too.

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm
I know the first one didn't do so well at the box office, but at least it was good.
How do you know this one is not good? Because it’s not directed by Fincher?

The subtitle is there for people who might rightly think this is yet another version of the first book, when it is in fact an adaptation of the fourth book (aka the one not written by Stieg Larsson). Honestly, the time so many of you waste shitposting on movies you have no intention of ever seeing...

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#11 Post by Brian C » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:06 pm

For what it’s worth, I think Foy looks the part better than Mara did - Foy looks more like a person one would encounter in actual life, as opposed to Mara’s overcalibrated Hollywood-punk look.

Boosmahn

#12 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:00 pm
You're right: I don't really know whether or not this will be good. Fincher's lack of involvement isn't the main problem here. Rather, it's how the cogs that made the first movie work are missing from this sequel; the source material isn't even written by the original creator. (My original post did have some exaggerations, though.)
Matt wrote:
Honestly, the time so many of you waste shitposting on movies you have no intention of ever seeing...
I probably will see this film because I like the franchise. It'll most likely be average at worst, although that's still a significant step down from the original.

And if my comment counts as a shitpost, then you really haven't seen the worst of what social media has to offer.
Last edited by Boosmahn on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Brian C wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:06 pm
For what it’s worth, I think Foy looks the part better than Mara did - Foy looks more like a person one would encounter in actual life, as opposed to Mara’s overcalibrated Hollywood-punk look.
Rooney felt the right age for the part for me, even more than Rapace did before her. And she looked fine, if you want overcalibrated punk I'm sure you can't do any worse than Jared Leto in Suicide Squad.

Matt

#14 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm
And if my comment counts as a shitpost, then you really haven't seen the worst of what social media has to offer.
Sorry, my comment was not addressed directly to you or about your post specifically. Just expressing exasperation with a general trend here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Matt, what about this project looks good or promising to you? I imagine something must be appealing about it to stick up for it, though I'm not sure what based on the trailer (and I didn't much care for Fincher's film, so I'm all for a movie by someone else for this franchise, so long as it's a good film)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#16 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Matt might have other reasons, but I'd say: The director has made good, effective genre work, and Foy is an excellent up and coming actress. The book it is based upon is rather well regarded. There's certainly a chance this could be a good film, if not the excellent one that Fincher made.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I probably should have just kept my fingers still. Beyond generally enjoying Claire Foy’s work, I actually don’t care about this movie at all (and Fincher’s was a decent way to spend 158 minutes, but I really haven’t given it much thought since I walked out of the theater). I was just, in the moment, fed up with the insidious auteurist snobbery pervading the forum around mainstream films (mild here and some other threads, but currently at toxic levels in the Star Wars, James Bond, and Marvel threads). It’s the same old fanboy bullshit we’ve been making fun of here for 14 years, but it just seems to have much more of a foothold and given more latitude now.

I don’t know Fede Álvarez from Adam, but I also remember when Fincher was best known for directing Paula Abdul and Madonna music videos and people were aghast that he was given the reins of a major franchise. Maybe this new movie will be trash, maybe it will be great. More likely is that it will be merely adequately entertaining and moderately profitable. If you’re not enthused about it, why waste energy trying to form and express an opinion on it weeks before anyone will even have a chance to see it? Wait and see it for yourself and then post an opinion or just don’t do either, who cares? There are too many good, underseen movies that already exist to go around trying to prognosticate the greatness or failure of stuff that’s not even out yet.

And just so nobody wastes even more time, I’ll do this for you:

D50

#18 Post by D50 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am

where's the like button?

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Matt wrote:
Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm
I know the first one didn't do so well at the box office, but at least it was good.
Fede Alvarez is an extremely talented filmmaker (his Evil Dead is one of the best horror remakes ever done, and Don't Breathe was a superior thriller), so it's not like this was handed off to Brett Ratner or somebody. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't even mind so much that the Fincher movie never got any sequels, because the follow-up books were disappointing, and the mercilessly dispassionate ending of Fincher's film was a beautiful bummer.

Lost Highway

#20 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I haven’t read the books, the first one of the Swedish movies was pretty good thanks to Nomi Rapace‘s starmaking performance but not even her presence could save the sequels. The Fincher remake is a better film overall but far from his best and not something I needed more of. I agree with Monterey Jack on the Evil Dead remake. It‘s the rare modern horror remake which works. It isn’t just a retreat of the original, it carves out its own path while also playing on the expectations of fans of the original in way which pay off. Alvarez is no hack, he is a promising genre filmmaker. I’m just not hugely excited about this franchise despite Alverez or Foy. Then again, this novel hasn’t been filmed before and maybe the plot is better than that of the Swedish sequels. If it isn’t too connected to the earlier storyline it may stand a chance.

R0lf

#21 Post by R0lf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:04 am

Sylvia Hoeks was fun in BLADE RUNNER and her serving accent soup in a "Tilda at the SUSPIRIA premiere" ensemble are both great reasons for me to go see this...

dda1996a

#22 Post by dda1996a » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:15 am

A little hyperbolic I would say, as his Evil Dead remake, while finding a new angle to go off to was far from "one of the best horror remakes" even though most films that are in contention are awful. I didnt like it at all but at least Don't Breath was effective enough for me to have some hope this works fine.
I think we'll get a decent adaptation at best if you ask me

Finch

#23 Post by Finch » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:51 pm

I like Alvarez's films. Evil Dead is particularly good in the longer version and I say that as someone who loves Raimi's first film. I don't care for this particular franchise either but with Alvarez it should be in good hands.

Robespierre

#24 Post by Robespierre » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Hated both the Evil Dead remake and Don't Breath and haven't seen any Dragon Tattoo movies, so I have no interest in this movie.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 pm

This is being forecast by Sony to make $8 million on its opening weekend despite its $43 million budget. So the studio themselves are cautiously predicting a bomb.

Exhibitor Relations Co. has pointed out that it adds up to $727k per word in the title of the film (which is, officially, The Girl in the Spider's Web: A New Dragon Tattoo Story)