A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
whaleallright

Re: A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 20??)

#76 Post by whaleallright » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Once Allen's career is back on track
I'd bet that, whatever the results of this lawsuit, Allen's career as a filmmaker is effectively over.

I wonder if Amazon made a calculation that the financial fallout from a lawsuit (which they know they will lose) was a lesser evil than the broader public outrage they thought might stem from releasing several films by Allen.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#77 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 am

It seemed like it was over when it was leaked that he couldn't find funding for the next one. Now, sure, maybe that was a false story, but the guy has near-constantly made films for decades - the fact that he isn't making one now speaks volumes about whether he'll find funding in the future.
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm
Can we not do this?
We're both moderators and you've posted here longer than I have, so this is by no means meant as a lecture, but no one stepped out of line in here and this is all perfectly relevant stuff to discuss in the context of the release of this film. I realize this is your biggest third rail but it doesn't mean people should have to zip their lip if they have a negative opinion on Allen or his work, as long as it's relevant/maturely stated

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 am

But when will Criterion be releasing Bottle Rocket??

aox

#79 Post by aox » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 am
But when will Criterion be releasing Bottle Rocket??
That seems to be this board's, "where are Hillary's emails, and when will she be locked up for her 68 murders of political opponents?", question.
Last edited by aox on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

connor

#80 Post by connor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 am

Finch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:59 pm
The only hatchet job on Allen's legacy is the man's own late career output.
I'll take 21st century Allen films over 1990s ones any day.

furbicide

#81 Post by furbicide » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:23 pm
Wondering aloud if it'll be possible for anyone to weigh in on this film without a reviewer's tilt in one direction or another once it finally emerges. It seems as though those who are firmly in Allen's camp will be inclined to inflate its quality, while those who have written Allen off will (probably without watching it) dismiss it as terrible. It seems like a very easy thing to inflate a minor/failed Allen film to a major one since there's always hallmarks of quality filmmaking, so why not, I suppose - but I can't think of a movie in recent memory with more baggage hanging on its eventual critical reception
No question that he has his fanboys and haters, but I don’t think most critics fall into either category, and I figure most will have no problem offering a clear assessment of this film if/when it sees the light of day (with a few obligatory passing references to its backstory).

Personally, I am generally a fan of Allen’s work and have sought out a lot of his films, but haven’t liked a lot of his recent work (aside from Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I adored; I thought Midnight in Paris was dreadful, though) – to the extent that I haven’t even bothered to see anything post-Blue Jasmine. Not only is that not an uncommon opinion, I kind of get the sense it might be something like the prevailing critical opinion of his recent oeuvre.

Personally, I will be buying a ticket to Rainy Day out of principle, but I have no preconceived notions as to whether it’ll be any good – and I doubt many serious critics will feel any differently.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Interestingly, according to this recent Hollywood Reporter article, in June of last year Amazon allegedly already offered to give the rights to this film to Allen, presumably in return for nixing their deal

furbicide

#84 Post by furbicide » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Allen’s public comments may have been a bit reactionary, but it’s preposterous for Amazon to use them as justification for reneging on their contract. Hopefully the court will find accordingly.

AWA

#85 Post by AWA » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:34 am

Of the names in that list, at least three of them *would* work with Woody again - Rebecca Hall and Michael Caine (with a bloody E for cryin' out loud) both clarified their comments to say they wouldn't be opposed to working with Woody again (to far, far less publicity than the original quotes were publicized with, of course, as per the norm). Cate Blanchett the same. Why Amazon would think that's a wise idea to include their names when their subsequent quotes can be loaded up to blow back into their faces shows whatever they're paying their lawyers, they've not very good at the most basic of internet research. How they expect them to win this the most flimsiest of cases is a comedy unto itself.

furbicide

#86 Post by furbicide » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:28 am

Do you have a link re: Caine and Hall’s clarifications? That’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#87 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 am

Here's one for Caine at least.

Rayon Vert

#88 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:27 am

I think this may be the one for Hall.
As for working with Allen again, "I don't see how I could with a clear conscience if things remain as they are," Hall says. "But I don't know, I really don't know. You can't put this case into a black-and-white schema. There are complicated aspects on both sides. It is possible to believe that one party is not lying, and also not be convinced of the other party's innocence and/or guilt."

AWA

#89 Post by AWA » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 am

And Michael Caine (that's 'Caine', with an 'E):
Michael Caine would work with Woody Allen again: 'You can’t go on hearsay the whole time'

It is a sad day on planet earth when defending someone against being essentially blacklisted over a single unproven and unlikely allegation is a "controversial opinion".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 05, 2019 11:02 am

That’s great news, because one of those countries will release it on Blu. Funny how an allegedly unmarketable movie is having no problems being sold everywhere

FrauBlucher

#92 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Maybe Arrow

furbicide

#93 Post by furbicide » Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Wonderful news. Hope it comes to Australia too (our local independent cinema / distribution company in Melbourne has always been a strong supporter of Allen's work, and I doubt that will change now).

DavyGallagher

#94 Post by DavyGallagher » Mon May 06, 2019 6:05 pm

It's such a horrid situation. Unlike, say, the Weinstein thing we're not talking systematic allegations here, and even Farrow's son says they are lies. There's a reason Woody's career kept going after the allegations came out first time but nowadays ANY accusation comes with shunning, regardless of the strenth of the allegation or the defence.

Killing his career now when for his age he seemed as fruitful as ever would be a mistake.

ford

#95 Post by ford » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 pm

DavyGallagher wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:05 pm
It's such a horrid situation. Unlike, say, the Weinstein thing we're not talking systematic allegations here, and even Farrow's son says they are lies. There's a reason Woody's career kept going after the allegations came out first time but nowadays ANY accusation comes with shunning, regardless of the strenth of the allegation or the defence.
These are cowardly times. Anyone with any platform who mildly defends Allen is immediately the recipient of an online mobbing. Now people are enraged at Anjelica Huston. It’s absurd.

The man has been in the public eye for a half century. If he was a pedo, well, kind of weird there are zero other accusers. There aren’t even accusations of other incidents from the Farrow family. Just that one afternoon.

The media reported on this exhaustively in the early 90s. And two state agencies investigated—one a group of doctors specializing in child sex abuse. Absolutely insane to act like anything has been covered up.

And why would anyone be surprised that Dylan Farrow believes this happened? If you’re adopted then suddenly your father is permanently out of the picture and you’re told constantly by your one family member remaining starting at age 7 and continuing for the rest of your life that this terrible thing happened to you...is it that surprising, especially knowing what we know of how memories are formed and recalled, that she would firmly believe it to this day?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Given Germany’s enormous Blu-Ray adoption, this all but guarantees there will be a Blu-Ray available for importing should this remain unreleased here by then

Drawingoflamporstick

#98 Post by Drawingoflamporstick » Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I will purchase my copy via... uh... amazon.it or amazon.de
Thanks Amazon.

Rayon Vert

Re: A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 2019)

#99 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Mars Films have announced it will be released in France on September 18.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen, 2019)

#100 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Facebook appears to be releasing A Rainy Day in New York in the U.S. (??? look at those logos, and the trailer is premiering on the Woody Allen Facebook page tomorrow... am I missing something?)