Girl with a Suitcase (Valerio Zurlini, 1961)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Toby Dammit

Girl with a Suitcase (Valerio Zurlini, 1961)

#1 Post by Toby Dammit » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Let's talk about the film a little.

Valerio Zurlini’s "La ragazza con la valigia" aka "The Girl with a Suitcase" was presented in competition at the 14th Cannes Film Festival in 1961. Stars Claudia Cardinale as a poor showgirl seduced by a wealthy playboy (Corrado Pani) and then promptly abandoned. Pursuing the cad to his family home in the country, she becomes involved with his younger brother (Jacques Perrin).

The film was then selected among the "100 Italian films to be saved" in 2008

Was released in DVD by the defunct NoShame in 2006, alongside "Violent Summer" in a boxset called "Valerio Zurlini: The Early Masterpieces"

TMDaines

Re: Girl with a Suitcase (Valerio Zurlini, 1961)

#2 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 am

One of my favourite films ever. There's a Spanish Blu-ray, but apparently it contains a shorter cut.

ellipsis7

#3 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

Claudia Cardinale said, when she was here a couple of years back, that it was a favourite of all the films she had made, with a character she played close to her own...

Costa

#4 Post by Costa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 am

I watched it one year ago I think, and I found it a quite good coming of age movie. I would purchase an english friendly bluray.
The duration of the bluray i watched was 1h 56 minutes.

Rupert Pupkin

#5 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Criterion should release some Valerio Zurlini on blu-ray.
Especially "Girl With A Suitcase"...

and talking about Claudia Cardinale, I'm still hoping for Visconti "Sandra"... [-o<

what Blu-Ray did you watch ?

this one ?
Medusa Films/Divisa - bought via amazon.es

it has just been repackaged but the Blu-Ray is certainly exactly the same.

I bought it something like 3 years ago - obviously a b00tleg, but real HD with more details - a fair HDTV transfer, not upscaled. A nice improvement over the Mk2 DVD (which looks very good very a DVD). More HD details (no subtitles at all); but it lacks the film-like texture of a fresh new restoration. (you know, it could like easily as good as "I Knew Her Very Well" if Criterion would do it... :oops: )
this use of architecture, camera - traveling, editing, lighting (those night scenes at the hotel and the last scenes at the beach are magnificient...)
Jacques Perrin is fantastic in this movie.

I like a lot a "Violent Summer" (J-L Trintignant is one of my favorite actor but...) (I had the No Shame movies DVDs) The Girl With A Suitcase is my favorite Zurlini movie...

"Le Bel Antonioni" (Bolognini would be essentially in the Criterion edition too)

Costa

#6 Post by Costa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote: what Blu-Ray did you watch ?
it was the Spanish one (don't know which edition). There is also a Japanese one I see.

i have seen Violent Summer too. it was good, but I like other italian films from the era better.
Like Bolognini's La Giornata Balorda, which i wish someone could release it on bluray and uncut!

Rupert Pupkin

#7 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 am

the Blu-Ray Spanish by Medusa/Divisa which you can buy at amazon.es is exactly the same than the one repackaged with a slipcase. This is a fair HDTV transfer. True HD. Not Criterion quality but that's better than nothing and it's not DVD upscaling...

my guess is that so far there has been no new restoration (I mean, since the Mk2 DVD release - almost a decade ago) so the Japanese Blu-Ray is probably the same transfer - as they used to say "digitally remastered" beware when you read "digitally remastered" on a Japanese blu-ray- that's what they wrote for "La Belle Noiseuse" Japanese Blu-Ray (when it was a poor upscaled DVD to HD transfer) whereas the new Japanese Blu-Ray of "La Nelle Noiseuse" J.Rivette has now "restoration" written on the artwork and it looks stunning now. It's the same restoration they will use for the Cohen Blu-Ray of "La Belle Noiseuse".

Neo-XP

#8 Post by Neo-XP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:11 pm

For the ones wondering, the Japanese Blu-ray is uncut (121 min), the Medusa Films/Divisa is slightly cut (115 min).

Also, the quality of the japanese Blu-ray is a little better.