Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#626 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:22 am

I quite liked Mountain, though I think I might have seen a shorter version as imbd lists this as running for 75 minutes, but the version BBC4 showed was only an hour. This is a film about humanity’s apparent eternal fascination with mountains and much of Willem Dafoe’s voiceover is about the ‘beauty and mysterious power’ that the landscape holds over the crazies who decide to climb them for whatever reason.

As you might guess, I have never been that convinced about people’s motivations for mountain climbing as anything more than something thrill seekers do, looking to push themselves to (and often beyond) their limits, and I was bracing myself for the film to be entirely unquestioningly on the side of these ‘daring pioneers’. Which it is to a certain extent, but the thing that really endeared this film to me so much were those brief moments in which the narration itself voices some ambivalence towards the motivations of the climbers, or at least modern day extreme sports pioneers.

It is really well structured to move from the expected starting point of celebrating the tenacity of your classical mountain climbers, pushing themselves to limits and ever in search of new heights to scale (with a slight implication that they’ll never be satisfied and forever want to put their mark on nature with the montage of people almost falling off cliff faces and proudly showing off their bloody wounds, or sharing a doobie on the summit), but then it really surprised me by moving into more ambivalent areas as we see people pushing the boundaries of what they want to do on and around a mountain (there is some spectacular footage of a person tightrope walking from one mountain peak to another, presumably being circled by a helicopter to capture the footage). Stunts get ever bigger and more dangerous and soon we start seeing people riding mountain bikes (literalising the name, I suppose!), base jumping from peaks, or even snowboarding down almost vertical slopes, setting off mini-avalanches in their wake.

At one point someone is doing windsurf-skiing using a snowboard and a parachute (with a big Red Bull branding logo on it) to go down a mountain, and this footage seems like the catalyst for the narration to voice a few concerns about people filming themselves doing ever more spectacular stunts ‘for the views’ online (and there is a bit of footage at that point of people failing to pull off their stunts, or getting engulfed in the avalanche that they triggered!). The Red Bull logo is perfectly placed to suggest that shift in philosophy from ‘because its there’ to ‘because my sponsor and viewers expect it’, and to its credit the narration expresses that concern. As it does later on showing the long line of hundreds of people following each other up marked out climbing routes (“this isn’t climbing; its queueing and mass crowd control”) before suggesting that it is more the Sherpas who deserve to be credited for their courage, as those who do not have any choice in putting their lives on the line shepherding the next group of people fancying themselves to be intrepid climbers up and down the mountain. There are also a few expected shot of Tibetan Buddhists in their mountaintop monasteries, presumably also being celebrated since we do not see any Western tourists (not even Batman!) visiting them!

And then the final third of the film drops the slightly irritating human element entirely and shifts into an almost Koyaanisqatsi-like phase (albeit with Dafoe’s narration continuing unabated) of focusing on the majesty of the mountains themselves, and the clouds swirling around them. There is some amazing footage here of new rock being formed as the hot lava reaches the surface and then immediately cools. Or the falling and thawing of the snow in timelapse footage. Plus an amazing time lapse shot of the ice sheets raising and lowering that seems intended to look like the mountain is breathing in and out. That sort of makes the entire film feel worthwhile, as it goes beyond celebrating the human struggle of mountaineers to showing the power and beauty of mountains and trying to illustrate directly exactly what attracts (at least some!) people to these locations – not subjugating the natural world to our tenacity at conquering it (and proving our superior skills over others), but in simply wanting to exist in such environments and see such sights for ourselves. That the film felt powerful even to someone as ambivalent as I am toward people’s motivations for climbing must mean that it was doing something right!

On Willem Dafoe’s narration, I could see people having a strongly polarised reaction to it. If seen a bit cynically (which I admit I often do!), it can just come across as a bit of New Age-y cod philosophising about just how great mountains are – all a bit fluffy and inconclusively noodly sounding (which is also what made the couple of tetchy, specific comments about human activity stand out all the more strongly!). The way that I often interpret ‘cod philosophising’, and why I often get quite aggravated by it, is mostly because it seems disingenuous, suggesting that a filmmaker is too afraid to go entirely poetic and instead want to have their voiceover contain nuggets of ‘hard facts’ in there to provide a concrete reason for why they are showing you all of these images. That can end up with a film occupying an unsatisfying middle ground approached either from wanting a purely dry factual documentary or a poetic one! (It feels that only really Patrick Keiller’s films occupy this ‘middle ground’ entirely successfully for me, and that is because they are fictional narrative pieces to a certain extent, and have that narrative structural core to them, even whilst being entirely made out of ‘real world’ documentary material) I think this is going to be subjective for each viewer but just speaking for myself I think that the narration here fell just on the right side of the ‘poetic’ line, such that after a while it did not really matter exactly what Dafoe was saying in particular, just that he was having a reverie about the subject of mountains and was inviting us to share it!

I am curious as to how important the filmmakers felt the narration was to getting their message across (something like Patrick Keiller’s slightly more avant garde Robinson In Ruins has an option on the Blu-ray and DVD to play the film with or without Vanessa Redgrave’s narration, which kind of transforms the meaning of the film into a much more personal one when you are just left to make sense of the imagery presented for yourself). I do like the poetic aspect of it but without that narration, especially when events move onto a tectonic timescale in the final section and perhaps with a slightly more adventurous bespoke choice of musical themes, we could be watching another Powaqqatsi, or suchlike!

jlnight

#627 Post by jlnight » Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Swiss Miss, Tues 8th May, Talking Pictures.

The Bohemian Girl, Thu 10th May, Talking Pictures.
Buchanan Rides Alone, Thu 10th May, Film4.

A Chump at Oxford, Fri 11th May, Talking Pictures.
Stretch and Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives, late Fri 11th May, Film4. Played at LFF 2015.
The Playbirds, late Fri 11th May, London Live.**

The Killing of Sister George, Sat 12th May, Talking Pictures.

Way Out West, Sun 13th May, Talking Pictures. Followed by Amelia and the Angel.

Attack, Mon 14th May, Film4.
The Sessions, late Mon 14th May, Film4.

colinr0380

#628 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:32 pm

The final episode of Cunk On Britain is titled after that famous Francis Fukuyama quote: Episode 5: The Arse End of History, which goes from the 1960s to the futuristic world of 2017. You can really feel the simmering anger with some great quotes in this one:

"...but all that was about to change thanks to four boys from Liverpool: George, Ringo and their guitarists...", which segues into a discussion of the work they did under their 'psychopathic' drugs.

"What was the difference between punk rock and just being angry but without a guitar?". And some rare footage of the most terrifyingly subversive punk rock song of them all.

"The pill: a condom you can eat. A sort of 'get out of child free' card."

"With his love of yachts, classical music and church organs, Edward Heath seemed to be a real man of the people..."

"[In the 1970s]...because the lights kept going out at a moment's notice, plunging everyone into darkness, there was no point dressing nicely and as a result the world of fashion decided to simply give up..."

"Right...what's a mine?", "Right...what's coal?"

"Suddenly having money was cool and no one had more money than the Yuppies, or Young Urban Twats."

"Britain was in a right state, not only financially but also economically and in money terms too."

"Diana's death couldn't have come at a worse time for a nation that had just got into being really judgemental about her sex life."

"Blair slinked off to live inside a haunted mirror, leaving No. 10 under the stewardship of a man who had all of the carefree joie de vivre of a haunted cave in Poland, Gorgon Brown."

"[On the economy] If we took maths out of the equation, it would be much easier..."

"The Scots held something called a referendum, which is a way of asking the public what they want to happen and then actually taking them seriously, unlike in an election"

I'm glad that we now live in a world where Chris Evans means an American actor in Marvel movies rather than the 90s one! Though I do miss that Proddy-guy. I also like that no matter how bad things got, people always liked a good street bonfire to create a sense of togetherness! It made the Olympics look as if they were just a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon!

Mr. Deltoid

#629 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm

colinr0380 wrote:The final episode of Cunk On Britain is titled after that famous Francis Fukuyama quote: Episode 5: The Arse End of History, which goes from the 1960s to the futuristic world of 2017. You can really feel the simmering anger with some great quotes in this one:

"...but all that was about to change thanks to four boys from Liverpool: George, Ringo and their guitarists...", which segues into a discussion of the work they did under their 'psychopathic' drugs.

"What was the difference between punk rock and just being angry but without a guitar?". And some rare footage of the most terrifyingly subversive punk rock song of them all.

"The pill: a condom you can eat. A sort of 'get out of child free' card."

"With his love of yachts, classical music and church organs, Edward Heath seemed to be a real man of the people..."

"[In the 1970s]...because the lights kept going out at a moment's notice, plunging everyone into darkness, there was no point dressing nicely and as a result the world of fashion decided to simply give up..."

"Right...what's a mine?", "Right...what's coal?"

"Suddenly having money was cool and no one had more money than the Yuppies, or Young Urban Twats."

"Britain was in a right state, not only financially but also economically and in money terms too."

"Diana's death couldn't have come at a worse time for a nation that had just got into being really judgemental about her sex life."

"Blair slinked off to live inside a haunted mirror, leaving No. 10 under the stewardship of a man who had all of the carefree joie de vivre of a haunted cave in Poland, Gorgon Brown."

"[On the economy] If we took maths out of the equation, it would be much easier..."

"The Scots held something called a referendum, which is a way of asking the public what they want to happen and then actually taking them seriously, unlike in an election"

I'm glad that we now live in a world where Chris Evans means an American actor in Marvel movies rather than the 90s one! Though I do miss that Proddy-guy. I also like that no matter how bad things got, people always liked a good street bonfire to create a sense of togetherness! It made the Olympics look as if they were just a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon!
I don't know, I can't generate much enthusiasm for this series. I thought Cunk was mildly amusing on NewsWipe in bite-size chunks, but this series really stretches the joke thin. I realise I'm probably in a minority with this one. Perhaps it's just Mockumentary fatigue, which seems like the default format for every BBC2/3 comedy these days (e.g. W1A, This Country, that People Just Do Whatnot thing etc.)? That's not to say there weren't lines that made me laugh, but I guess all the mock-anti-intellectualism just wore me down. Also, the series felt a bit of an inside joke with all the Media personalities involved (Robert Peston and critic Mark Lawson were surely in on the joke, no?) which robbed the satire of any edge. Also (he says, waving his finger in the air :D ) that line about Brown skirted very close to my favourite Brooker quote where he described Anne Widdicome as having the face of a haunted Russian cave!

I dunno, I must be losing it in my old age. I caught some bits of Mrs. Brown's Boys on Saturday night and - in spite of my best judgement - found myself laughing involuntary. What's happening to me?

thirtyframesasecond

#630 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed May 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I wouldn't watch Mrs Brown's Boys out of choice, but it's bound to be one of the better sitcoms of that kind. The kind of stuff on the BBC now makes you pine for the days of My Hero.

colinr0380

#631 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:06 pm

I must admit that I avoided W1A and TwentyTwelve (and the other 'satires' you mention) like the plague. I think those series were the definition of being self unaware! (kind of a view of what might have happened if MPs had a hand in making The Thick of It)

And I quite like Mrs Brown's Boys too (I can even just about manage the bits when it goes treacly sentimental because it shouldn't be long until Mrs Brown is riding a Christmas tree like a bucking bronco before making a double entendre sex joke with a naughty word). Next to the BBC's attempts to manufacture other series in the same vein such as the excruciating Citizen Khan, its a masterpiece! It's kind of a Dogme sitcom.

Plus I still find it mind boggling that that Mrs Brown is a development of the same character that Anjelica Huston played in the film she directed of O'Carroll's story, Agnes Browne! Before O'Carroll ended up playing the part himself! For contrast here's Agnes Browne and here's Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

#632 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Just a couple of things next week: tomorrow Film4 is premiering the Mads Mikkelsen comedy Men & Chicken at 11.15 p.m., followed by the Simon Pegg comedy A Fantastic Fear of Everything (which is finally getting a non-DOG-tagged, non-sign language version following its first Channel 4 showing)

Tomorrowland is on BBC2 at 6 p.m. on Sunday 13th, and the trend of horror directors tackling TV movies continues apace with Fatal Close-Up (aka Witness Unprotected according to imdb, directed by Fred Olen Ray and starring Daphne Zuniga) on Channel 5 at 3.15 p.m. on Thursday 17th

jlnight

#633 Post by jlnight » Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 am

Paper Towns, Wed 16th May, Film4.

Junior Bonner, Sat 19th May, Talking Pictures. Straw Dogs is on later.

Hell in the Pacific, Sun 20th May, Talking Pictures.

colinr0380

#634 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:12 pm

The Martian is on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 19th.

And also there is apparently going to be a modern-dress version of King Lear directed by Richard Eyre and starring Anthony Hopkins as Lear with Emma Thompson, Emily Watson and Florence Pugh as the three sisters turning up on BBC2 at some point.

colinr0380

#635 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Its not too bad next week: Channel 4 are premiering Sinister 2 at 11.50 p.m. on Saturday 19th (just after The Martian); Film4 are finally getting around to showing Stuck In Love (at 1 a.m. on the morning of Tuesday 22nd) after postponing it at the last minute a month or two ago; and the centrepiece of BBC4's current space season is the French series Missions (Episode 1 & 2 this Thursday 17th at 9 p.m; 3 & 4 at the same time on Thursday 24th)

And throughout next week Film4 have lots of westerns: the usual suspects of The Spoilers, Slow West, 40 Guns To Apache Pass, Tomahawk, Arizona Raiders, My Darling Clementine, Last Train From Gun Hill, which all relatively routinely turn up on the channel. Though there are two quite rarely shown Charlton Heston starring westerns: Untamed West (aka The Far Horizons) at 4.30 p.m. on Monday 21st and The Savage at 4.55 p.m. on Thursday 24th.

And this is probably all to do with the premiere of Jane Got A Gun at 10.40 p.m. on Thursday 24th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#636 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

The Far Horizons is a remarkably bad film, pencil it in at your own peril!

jlnight

#637 Post by jlnight » Fri May 18, 2018 5:10 am

Creepshow, Sat 26th May, Film4. Part of a double bill with something called Stephen King's Cell.

Sing Street, Mon 28th May, Film4.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, Tues 29th May, Film4.

Jigsaw, Thu 31st May, Talking Pictures. ("Great shots of Brighton in the 60s").

colinr0380

#638 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 pm

jlnight wrote:Creepshow, Sat 26th May, Film4. Part of a double bill with something called Stephen King's Cell.
That is the premiere of the Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack starring adaptation of King's 'cellphone signals turning people into zombies' novel. Though while it is nice to see Creepshow turn up on Film4, a much more apt double bill with Cell would have probably been the John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson starring adaptation of a Stephen King story, 1408!

colinr0380

#639 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

That previously mentioned new version of King Lear is showing at 9.30 p.m. on BBC2 on Monday 28th May (it is running for 115 minutes, so likely not a full text version!). And the most interesting (for the setting if not so much for the 'true story of getting onto a Arab Idol singing show' premise on display in the trailer) new film of the week is the Gaza-set drama The Idol on Film4 at 1.20 a.m. on Thursday 31st May. Also episodes 5 & 6 of Missions on BBC4 from 10 p.m. on Thursday 31st.

A couple of interesting repeats: Dressed To Kill is showing at 1.10 a.m. on Monday 28th on Film4. Also Rio Conchos is on BBC2 at 12.45 p.m. on Thursday 31st.

jlnight

#640 Post by jlnight » Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 am

The Birthday Party, Sun 3rd June, Talking Pictures. We've had Sorcerer and The Guardian recently so here's some early Friedkin.
Dementia 13, late Mon 4th June, Talking Pictures.
White Cargo, late Tues 5th June, Talking Pictures.
The Wild Heart (aka Gone To Earth), Thu 7th June, Talking Pictures.

jlnight

#641 Post by jlnight » Wed May 30, 2018 9:09 am

Nothing Like a Dame, Sat 2nd June, BBC2.

Christine, Sat 9th June, Horror. Part of their Carpenter season along with Vampires, The Fog, Big Trouble... and They Live.

Legend of the Witches, late Sat 9th June, Talking Pictures.

colinr0380

#642 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:41 pm

How to describe The Greasy Strangler, shown on Film4 this evening? Sort of what would happen if David Lynch weirdness (like a live action Dumbland in its almost mantra-like repetitious language) met early John Waters with a kind of Mick Jagger-like lothario protagonist and a son who speaks earnest-stupid in the manner of Ben Stiller from Zoolander. And it is kind of the American version of Toni Erdmann in its fractious parent-child relationship and playacting shenanigans! It is also perhaps the best modern disco film (just beating out Pablo Larrain's Tony Manero film!) if only for its rather sad single nightclub scene of a couple of elderly groovers dancing the night away under the light of the disco ball in front of other elderly white-haired gents (including one chap who looks strangely like Stephen Rea getting in on the dancing action!)

I was also wondering why the name Michael St. Michaels seemed familiar and found out on checking imdb that he is in 1987's The Video Dead! (Ironically shown disheveled and having trouble getting out of bed before being killed by zombies in the opening sequence of that film!)

Perhaps Greasy Strangler's main flaw (apart from just general grossness! Of course when you see a puddle of unidentifiable goo on the floor you have to kneel, dig your hands into it, sniff it then taste it as well to confirm that it is disgusting) is that it is a bit too calculated and knowing in its provocations, and it might have the same issues as a couple of those ABCs of Death 2 shorts where just physically 'different' bodies (as well as race and accent comedy) gets used as the 'horror' element in single film gag. But it just tips over into working for me, I guess because of the filming style and bizarre treatment of language. I really like the almost stilted earnestness of each character delivering their line in a single medium close up with 'dead space' before and after it, then a cut to the next person speaking their line but still with the pause before and after, and so on! A couple of the lines (or at least the ones that can be quoted in polite company, which is not many of them) made me laugh not so much for the content but for the straightforward manner of their delivery! I was particularly tickled for some reason that I cannot entirely explain by that early line: "Too much grease is bad for you. I read it in a fitness magazine someone left on a bus".

It also features perhaps the best over the top knocked into brief unconsciousness reaction to a limp backhand slap that I've ever seen! As well as the only strangulation murder in which someone actually likes and encourages being strangled! (Though In The Realm of the Senses may also count here, I suppose) Also, how is the carwash still in business to clean you up after the owner has been strangled, decapitated and had his head used as a basketball (with it inevitably missing the slamdunk!) Though this is in no way the film in which to ask those questions as otherwise we would have to ask ourselves why pompadour-hairdooed lemon-suited hot dog vendors are running their businesses on random empty streets in the middle of night!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#643 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm

One of our fellow board members used this film as inspiration for a couple's costume!

colinr0380

#644 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Hopefully not the fetching see through dress that gets worn out to the nightclub! That would have been daring but inadvisable to wear out on a cold evening! (It has to have been the pink-jumper tour guide gear, hasn't it?)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#645 Post by jlnight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:23 am

They Shoot Horses Don't They?, late Thu 7th June, Talking Pictures. Also on Sat 9th June.

The Day After, Sat 16th June, Talking Pictures.

Carmen Jones, Sun 17th June, BBC2.
Country (1984), Sun 17th June, Talking Pictures. Later on, a short film called Couple of Beauties.

Jigsaw was good. The last time it was shown on the BBC (according to Genome) was 31st May 1993, so the recent screening was 25 years to the day! The Birthday Party appears to have been shown for the first time on free-to-air since 1986. The above-the-head shot during the party game seemed like something that would fit into The Exorcist!

colinr0380

#646 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:13 pm

It's an OK though middling week this next week. Nothing too exciting but a few lesser known films turn up. I'm late in noting this (and it is too late to potentially make it onto my Women's Directors List!) but tonight at 11.15 p.m. on Film4 Naomi Watts and Robin Wright star as a pair of women who not creepily at all take each other's sons as lovers in Adore.

There is another Charlton Heston-starring western on Thursday 7th at 4.45 p.m. (repeated Tuesday 12th at 2.40 p.m.), Three Violent People.

The most interesting film of the week is City of Ghosts, showing on BBC4 on Monday 11th at 10.30 p.m. And the big foreign language film of the week is Mediterranea (not to be confused with Mediterraneo!) on Film4 Wednesday 13th at 1.00 a.m.

Then there are two more Film4 premieres: Arthur & Mike on Wednesday 13th at 11.35 p.m. and Momentum at 9 p.m. on Thursday 14th. Film4 are also repeating Trainspotting next week, which is making me wonder if T2: Drug-gment Day is going to turn up soon, though I don't know if it is still a bit too early for that to come to television.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#647 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Three Violent People is another skippable Charlton Heston western. Hopefully they'll schedule Arrowhead soon, since that's the Heston-starring Paramount western worth seeing

jlnight

#648 Post by jlnight » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Death Wish II, Sun 10th June (tomorrow), ITV4. Also on Fri 15th June. This one almost slipped under the radar!

Talking Pictures have some interesting titles in July like Losey's The Damned, Cash On Demand, The Snorkel and Walk on the Wild Side (an old Moviedrome film).

colinr0380

#649 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Next week has a couple of documentaries: Robert Redford narrates the nature documentary Earth: One Amazing Day on BBC2 at 7.30 p.m. on Saturday 16th. And on BBC4 at 7 p.m. on Sunday 17th is The Eagle Huntress, narrated by Daisy Ridley and executive produced by Ridley and Morgan Spurlock. And also on BBC4 on Sunday 17th at 9.50 p.m. is a Donmar Warehouse production of an all female version of Julius Caesar.

There is another Fred Olen Ray directed TV movie on Channel 5 at 3.15 p.m. on Thursday 21st, Deadly Vows
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm
Three Violent People is another skippable Charlton Heston western. Hopefully they'll schedule Arrowhead soon, since that's the Heston-starring Paramount western worth seeing
Film4 swerve away from the westerns but stick with Paramount era Charlton Heston and are showing The Buccaneer on at 4.55 p.m. on Friday 22nd.

In terms of world cinema Film4 has Cuban comedy Juan of the Dead at 1.05 a.m. in the early hours of Saturday 23rd. But probably the most interesting film of the week is Spanish thriller Marshland also on Film4 at 00.55 on Wednesday 20th June.

jlnight

#650 Post by jlnight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Assault on Precinct 13 (the Carpenter one), Sat 23rd June, Film4. They Live is over on Horror. Alternatively...
Prizzi's Honor, Sat 23rd June, Talking Pictures. Also on Sun 1st July.

Vengeance of Fu Manchu, Mon 25th June, Talking Pictures.

Game For Three Losers (Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre), Tues 26th June, Talking Pictures.