Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Identify This Movie

#1201 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:14 pm

I only remember one bit from this unknown comedy. I think this was a character making up a lie on the spot, but it was someone claiming that someone had died because they sneezed too many times in a row. It was backed up by them lying that your heart stops beating for a moment when you sneeze and unfortunately this person sneezed so many times in a row, they flatlined.

jexora

#1202 Post by jexora » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Hello, my Google-Fu is not strong enough to figure this one out, hoping the folks around here can help. It's either a 70s or 80s alien-invasion flick I originally saw on cable in the 80s. I know the aliens were masquerading as humans, something like body snatchers or V. In one scene a human witnesses an alien remove their disguise and their true form looks somewhat bug-like with huge black eyes and small mouths. The only other part I can remember is the ending where it seems that a number of humans have been abducted and are to be taken away from Earth on the mother ship, but one woman (she might have been a disguised alien?) decides that she needs to stop the abduction to rescue a little girl (maybe her daughter?) and starts shooting lightning from her fingers at the other aliens to kill them.

Any ideas?

brundlefly

#1203 Post by brundlefly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm

jexora wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Hello, my Google-Fu is not strong enough to figure this one out, hoping the folks around here can help. It's either a 70s or 80s alien-invasion flick I originally saw on cable in the 80s. I know the aliens were masquerading as humans, something like body snatchers or V. In one scene a human witnesses an alien remove their disguise and their true form looks somewhat bug-like with huge black eyes and small mouths. The only other part I can remember is the ending where it seems that a number of humans have been abducted and are to be taken away from Earth on the mother ship, but one woman (she might have been a disguised alien?) decides that she needs to stop the abduction to rescue a little girl (maybe her daughter?) and starts shooting lightning from her fingers at the other aliens to kill them.

Any ideas?
Strange Invaders?

jexora

#1204 Post by jexora » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm

brundlefly wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm
Strange Invaders?
That's the one! Thanks!

...and I just re-watched it. That was all kinds of terrible. But at least I can put that restless memory to bed...

Roger Ryan

#1205 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 am

jexora wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm
brundlefly wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm
Strange Invaders?
That's the one! Thanks!

...and I just re-watched it. That was all kinds of terrible. But at least I can put that restless memory to bed...
Ha, I saw this in the cinema when first released, but forgot about most of the details. I do recall that the film was sold as a throwback to the 50s-style science-fiction (or, at least, that's what a number of critics latched onto) with Kenneth Tobey, veteran of The Thing From Another Planet and The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, cast for that reason. 50s-nostalgia fan Joe Dante ended up casting Tobey in a number of his films which were all considerably better than Strange Invaders.

ShellOilJunior

#1206 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 am

90s movie. The plot concerned a local establishment that was torn down by corporate big wigs. Each time the building was torn down a group of supernatural beings (not seen on screen from what I recall) re-built it quickly.

Mr. Deltoid

#1207 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 am
90s movie. The plot concerned a local establishment that was torn down by corporate big wigs. Each time the building was torn down a group of supernatural beings (not seen on screen from what I recall) re-built it quickly.
Batteries Not Included?

Edit: Just realised your post read '90's, so disregard my guess!

ShellOilJunior

#1208 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am

I think you're correct. I may have associated it with the 90s because that's when I saw it. Thanks!

Lemmy Caution

#1209 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 am

A film I saw on Chinese Tv maybe 12 years ago.
What I mainly remember was a few children mostly on their own. I think single mom was usually off working. A young girl mostly plays alone under the house. Makes a pair of angel wings, and I think she jumps off a water tower at film's end (unless her brother does, but the angel wings makes me think it must have been her). Set in either Mexico or southwestern US. Desert, scrub land.
Any ideas?

bottled spider

#1210 Post by bottled spider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:28 am

Asking on behalf of a family member. This is the description:
Black and white, I think, and possibly National Film Board [of Canada]. The scene I remember was of a troop of soldiers marching into a train tunnel. A moment later, a train blasts out of the tunnel, and then moments after that, the troops, bandaged and bleeding, stagger out of the tunnel.
It's not 'Oh What a Lovely War!' is it? I tried searching 'Oh What a Lovely War!' + train tunnel scene on Youtube, but no dice.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1211 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

Is it fiction or a documentary?

bottled spider

#1212 Post by bottled spider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am

I remember the same scene, and we would have been very young when we saw it. Perhaps we were shown it in school in Canada, or we may have seen it on British television while visiting relatives.

Fictional, but perhaps educational. Possibly a short. Perhaps a scene from a longer anti-war film consisting of grimly absurdist vignettes, with little story line.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1213 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 am

I feel like there's something like that in one of the BFI collections

antnield

#1214 Post by antnield » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:43 am

The Finishing Line, but that's in colour and with schoolchildren.

bottled spider

#1215 Post by bottled spider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am

I've started searching the BFI site -- that does seem a likely place.

I saw as a child either The Finishing Line, or an older black and white film in a similar vein, involving children cheerfully playing lethal games on railway tracks, who were periodically carried away on stretchers. I believe the film my brother and I are thinking of had a similar grim absurdity. I'll watch The Finishing Line on Youtube just in case we're both misremembering what we saw.

agnamaracs

#1216 Post by agnamaracs » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

This mystery film found on an MCA DiscoVision dead side:
https://youtu.be/JQZGe3r4VqQ?t=8m10s

JSC

#1217 Post by JSC » Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am

Well, the scene of the men standing up in the conference room is definitely
from Day of the Jackal. However, the other scene with Edward Fox
seems to be from another film entirely.

fiddlesticks

#1218 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu May 09, 2019 2:10 pm

JSC wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am
Well, the scene of the men standing up in the conference room is definitely
from Day of the Jackal. However, the other scene with Edward Fox
seems to be from another film entirely.
No, that's Jackal too. The other guy is the document forger, played by Ronald Pickup.

britcom68

#1219 Post by britcom68 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:25 pm

This film was something I saw a few times back in the late 80s or early 90s. It could have been the VHS condition but the picture quality seemed not much better than a TV film or one of those adaptation quickies for schools from a kids book. The clothing makes me think it was more likely 70s than 80s. The VHS case had a distinctive cover with a large manor house or castle and seemed vaguely similar to the Richard III re-release artwork from Criterion. I always thought that it had a title like "The Mystery of Castle Island" or something similar. It may have been Canadian or at least very independent.
The film itself I can barely recall now, but there was a speed-boat chase at or near the climax. I remember that the point of the water-chase was that two or three kids had to try to rescue a asian-looking gentleman (maybe a scientist or engineer) and some matronly woman was driving the speed-boat. I may be mis-remembering but I think the idea was that up till then the older woman was seen as aloof and turns out she had raced boats professionally, or something along those lines. One of the name of the young boys was Spider (or similar sounding). At one point during the film there was something about someone being hid in a basement of the large house. The house had some white paint and I think was wooden and older, but whether or not it was on an island that I do not know. Every time I watch the Sheriff's death in Misery it irritates me that the shots of the basement stairs make me think of this other unknown film and now it really has bugged me so much when I watched Misery last night I am posting here. Please and thanks!

Feego

#1220 Post by Feego » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Feego

#1221 Post by Feego » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Can anyone identify this shot or at least the actress? It's included in TCM's July promo. I've scoured the 70s and 80s films in their July schedule but haven't been able to place it.

Ovader

#1222 Post by Ovader » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Nancy Paul in LIFEFORCE (1985)

Feego

#1223 Post by Feego » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks so much, Ovader!

colinr0380

#1224 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:51 am

It is amusing that the vampiric alien knows which of the most attractive bodies of the supporting cast to inhabit for maximum sex appeal, from Nancy Paul to Patrick Stewart!

ballmouse

#1225 Post by ballmouse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Does anyone know the western that plays in the theater of the film They Might be Giants?

Clip can be found at https://youtu.be/z-mDyMSrHzA