Why We Love 80's Action Movies and Steven Seagal

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ranaing83

#1 Post by ranaing83 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:22 pm

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but go back and watch Under Siege, it's a pretty damn entertaining flick.

flyonthewall2983

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:46 pm

From what I remember, it was really Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey who stole that particular show. It also had a cool sequence where "Voodoo Chile" by Hendrix plays after a fighter jet is blown up by the bad guys. Other than that, Die Hard on an aircraft carrier.

jbeall

#3 Post by jbeall » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:From what I remember, it was really Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey who stole that particular show. It also had a cool sequence where "Voodoo Chile" by Hendrix plays after a fighter jet is blown up by the bad guys. Other than that, Die Hard on an aircraft carrier.
"Die Hard on an aircraft carrier... but not as good."

Len

#4 Post by Len » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:12 am

I have a thing for Seagal's early films (then again, I'm someone who grew up on 80's action, so I'm pretty biased). While none of his films were as good as Commando for example, I always preferred Seagal to Stallone or Van Damme. Seagal always got points for his brutality and willingness to go ridiculously overboard in the punishment he dealt out to bad guys. Whereas Stallone just shot someone, Seagal usually broke some poor bastard's limbs, then rips out the larynx with his bare fists or something like that. Good stuff.

And while his films usually had terrible one-liners, the good ones were classic material. Like in Hard To Kill, where a corrupt senator says "and you can take that to the bank" on a tv commercial, to which Seagal cleverly replies "I'm going to take You to the bank. The blood bank." Makes no sense whatsoever, but it's hilarious anyways.

Ofcourse, all Seagal films after Under Siege 1 are pretty much unwatchable.

...maybe this forum needs a thread dedicated to the artform that was 80's action cinema.

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 am

Len wrote:And while his films usually had terrible one-liners, the good ones were classic material. Like in Hard To Kill, where a corrupt senator says "and you can take that to the bank" on a tv commercial, to which Seagal cleverly replies "I'm going to take You to the bank. The blood bank." Makes no sense whatsoever, but it's hilarious anyways.
It would be even better said with a German accent though! "Da Blud Bank"!
Of course, all Seagal films after Under Siege 1 are pretty much unwatchable.
I should admit to guiltily enjoying On Deadly Ground - Michael Caine, Joan Chen, Harry Dean Stanton, R. Lee Ermey, Billy Bob Thornton and that amazing speech at the end which was probably responsible for inspiring people to do more damage to the environment until Al Gore showed up!