Brigitte Bardot

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Fri May 20, 2005 2:03 am

The big deal is that she was pretty damn sexy, and that not too many actresses of her time (or before) looked or acted like her. She may have not been a great actress, but I think she (along with Loren, and others) opened the doors of sexual raciness in film. I love "Contempt," which she is wonderful in (and it's a large dramatic leap from her being a mere sex pot), and is also one of the greatest films ever made (and my favorite Godard).

I really want to see this film she starred in with Marcello Mastroianni.

Having these two in a film sounds like great fun.

As for others, I'm not sure. She made over 40 films (and I think another with Mastroianni). I haven't seen "And God Created Women," though it sounds like fun. There's also "Viva Maria," directed by Louis Malle (with songs/score by Georges Delerue) and co-starring Jeanne Moreau, which I plan to see sometime. Did she make any films with other respective French/Italian icons?
Last edited by Dylan on Fri May 20, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martha

#2 Post by Martha » Fri May 20, 2005 8:29 am

My guess is that if you're not impressed by Bardot in Contempt, it's not going to happen. I've only seen a handful of her films (And God Created Woman, Picking the Daisy), but in my mind her only true performance is in Contempt. While she's undeniably sexy as hell no matter what she does, I've never seen her come within shouting distance of her work in that film again. Maybe my obsession with Godard's work colors my perception of her in it, but I truly think she's virtually flawless-- there are shots during which she projects such aggressive distain that I can barely stand to watch them. To me, it's a jaw-droppingly powerful performance.

Anyway, for what it's worth I was not at all impressed by And God Created Woman. Again, she's gorgeous, but the film is laughably thin and does little more than lay bare Vadim's weaknesses as a director.

In my humble opinion of course.

Cinephrenic

#3 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri May 20, 2005 5:20 pm

No one is more offending than brigitte bardot herself. However, the 60's Brigette Bardot is much more appealing in person and in film.

godardslave

#4 Post by godardslave » Sat May 21, 2005 1:25 am

cinephrenic wrote:No one is more offending than brigitte bardot herself.
"No-one" might be just a slight overstatement...

Hitler maybe?...just possibly?

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Sun May 22, 2005 5:42 pm

Her non-Godard films may be unrewarding, but her pop recordings with Serge Gainsbourg sure aren't. Track down their original recording of "Je t'aime. . .moi non plus" for Brigitte's best acting performance outside Contempt (if indeed she really was acting), and "Ford Mustang" for her best comedy performance.

Rufus T. Firefly

#6 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 31, 2005 12:23 am

Also available on DVD is Une Ravissante Idiote. You will need a widescreen TV to watch it, as there is something wrong with the anamorphic set-up, and it can only be viewed in the correct aspect ratio if you have a "full" function on your display.

And then there's the DVD of Love on a Pillow, which is probably the worst DVD I own. Not only is the film dubbed and pan and scanned, but the print used for the transfer had gone salmon pink. Absolutely disgraceful.

Barmy

#7 Post by Barmy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Brigitte Bardot on trial for Muslim slur.

Dylan

#8 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Wow, I don't even remember starting this thread...I still haven't seen any more films of hers, including the Malle film with Mastroianni, but I still want to. Contempt is still my favorite Godard by a light year and I really like her in it.

I agree with Zedz about her music...my favorite song of hers is "tu es venu mon amour," which is just gorgeous (I'm not sure who the orchestrator was, but it sounds more like Pino Donaggio than Serge Gainsbourg).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Dylan wrote:Wow, I don't even remember starting this thread....
It looks like it was split from another thread several years ago, probably that Locked Thread Which Shall Not Be Named.

MadJack

#10 Post by MadJack » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:32 am

Bardot is tremendous. Not just to look at, but I think she's a very fine actress. Contempt is a high point, but equal to that is ...And God Created Woman and Love is My Profession.

Dylan, the two Malle's you mentioned (Private Affair, Viva Maria) are both very much worth checking out. I've only seen the former in an English dub, and have no idea what language it would be best seen in. It is basically just a romantic melodrama, but the talent makes it something special.

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 pm

MadJack wrote:Dylan, the two Malle's you mentioned (Private Affair, Viva Maria) are both very much worth checking out. I've only seen the former in an English dub, and have no idea what language it would be best seen in. It is basically just a romantic melodrama, but the talent makes it something special.
I've seen them both and wasn't too impressed with either. Malle is incredibly inconsistent, and I tend to lump these two films up with his CRACKERS or ATLANTIC CITY broad strokes as opposed to his more personal or more artistic works like DAMAGE or MURMER.

Barmy

#12 Post by Barmy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Viva Maria is OK but it sounds better than it actually is.

Larry Lipton

#13 Post by Larry Lipton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 pm

That's an apt description. I'll add that I am inclined to watch Viva Maria! again some day for a reassessment. Wouldn't say that of Vie privée, which struck me as kind of bland.

Barmy

#14 Post by Barmy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Or check out the remake with Keira Knightley:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Who could ever forget Viva Maria And George Hamilton?

rohmerin

#16 Post by rohmerin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am

Louis Malle's Vie privee is almost a masterpiece. I've seen it many years ago and it showed trendy 60's paris, Geneve and Italy. The plot sound very her own life, or Princess Diana of Wales.

We've downloaded La verite, The truth the Oscar nominated Clouzot's film that is highlly respected film in Spain.

Kinsayder

#17 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:03 am

rohmerin wrote:We've downloaded La verite, The truth the Oscar nominated Clouzot's film that is highlly respected film in Spain.
Yes, definitely one of her best films (Oh look, she can act!). It's available on DVD in France but I don't think it's ever had an English-friendly release.

ellipsis7

#18 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 am

The case rolls on, despite the fatigue expressed by the Prosecutor...
Bardot on trial for 'inciting racial hatred'

Staff and agencies
Wednesday April 16, 2008

guardian.co.uk

Brigitte Bardot went on trial in a Paris court yesterday, charged with "inciting racial hatred" over remarks in a letter to the French president Nicholas Sarkozy. The 73-year-old former actor did not attend the court in person, claiming that she was physically unwell.
Bardot, a vocal animal rights campaigner, wrote to the French president last year, complaining about the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha. The festival traditionally involves the slaughter of a sheep. "I am fed up with being under the thumb of this population which is destroying us, destroying our country and imposing its acts," she wrote. The letter was later published by Bardot's foundation.

It is the fifth time that Bardot has been charged with inciting racial hatred. She has previously railed against what she termed "the Islamisation of France" and claimed that the nation was being invaded by "sheep-slaughtering Muslims", comments that have led to her being fined four times since 1997.

Prosecutor Anne de Fontette is pushing for a two-year suspended prison sentence and a fine of 15,000 euros (£12,100). "I am a little tired of prosecuting Ms Bardot," she told the court.

The verdict is expected in a few weeks.

Mr Sausage

#19 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:43 am

These news articles don't outright say it, but it sounds like her only real problem with muslims and Islam is that they kill a goat for Eid. That's about the wackiest reason for racism that I've heard.

Antoine Doinel

#20 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:These news articles don't outright say it, but it sounds like her only real problem with muslims and Islam is that they kill a goat for Eid. That's about the wackiest reason for racism that I've heard.
Well, that, combined with her comments about gays also contributing to the downfall of modern French life may not be racist, but are stupid. Prosecuting her probably gives more creedence to the statements then they really deserve.

Cold Bishop

#21 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:54 pm

...And there's the fact of who her husband is.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:...And there's the fact of who her husband is.
I thought that pic Barmy posted was her husband :shock:

rohmerin

#23 Post by rohmerin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:20 am

La veritè is a masterpiece. By P.Message an user has asked me if it's possible to find Englsih or Spanish subtitles for the print. The reply is yes, both languages.

Cinephrenic

#24 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:35 am

I believe it is in a few retros in "New 35mm Print", so that is a hopeful start. Criterion?

Brigitte sure didn't age well and she is one person whom should have not gone with natural aging and do major surgery on that face. Too late now though. :)

souvenir

#25 Post by souvenir » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:49 am

Cinephrenic wrote:I believe it is in a few retros in "New 35mm Print", so that is a hopeful start. Criterion?
The print shown at Film Forum started with an old Columbia logo.