Awards Season 2015

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
captveg

Re: Awards Season 2015

#626 Post by captveg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:29 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
captveg wrote:Because Rylance is mostly a non-flashy performer I'm happy to see him win because he just rarely gets work that is noticed by awards.

Stallone does have a non-acting Oscar at least. Hardy will have many more nominations, as will Ruffalo in all likelihood.
Three Tonys would suggest otherwise.
I was speaking of film awards, obviously.

thirtyframesasecond

#627 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 am

captveg wrote:
captveg wrote:Because Rylance is mostly a non-flashy performer I'm happy to see him win because he just rarely gets work that is noticed by awards.

Stallone does have a non-acting Oscar at least. Hardy will have many more nominations, as will Ruffalo in all likelihood.
I was speaking of film awards, obviously.
He's hardly been in films, although he seems to be making up for that now, taking roles DDL can't be bothered with. I thought Bridge of Spies was OK and he did a decent job. I haven't seen Creed, but I like a good comeback story and wouldn't have begrudged Stallone at all. That said, I'm sure he'll follow Creed up with the Expendables Pt. 12 or whatever.

Altair

#628 Post by Altair » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 am

Saddened that The Revenant lost Best Picture, but Ennio Morricone winning an Oscar for a great score rectifies an historic wrong and is probably the award I'm most happy about.

willoneill

#629 Post by willoneill » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:34 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:Sam Smith is not even the first openly gay person to win the Oscar for Best Original Song. Self-important twit.
I'll cut him a little slack, since he's mistake was just not reading Ian McKellen's statement properly. McKellen didn't say that no openly gay person had ever won a Oscar, he said that no open gay person had ever won an acting Oscar (which I think is true?). I think a few people just missed the word "acting" there.

Professor Wagstaff

#630 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 am

I glanced at a list of past acting winners and McKellan's claim appears to be true. A few actors like Jodie Foster, Joel Grey, and Linda Hunt are openly gay now but not at the time of their wins.

TMDaines

#631 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:44 am

Actors to Appear in Multiple Best Pictures

I've been scanning this list and trying to work out how many actors have appeared in consecutive Best Picture winners. It seems that there are actually quite a few, but most are supporting actors in minor roles. Would it be fair to say that the only actors to have had leading roles in back-to-back Best Picture winners are as follows?

Clark Gable - It Happened One Night (1934), Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
Walter Pidgeon - How Green Was My Valley (1941), Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Russell Crowe - Gladiator (2000), A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Michael Keaton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014), Spotlight (2015)

At a push you could maybe add?

Christopher Walken - Annie Hall (1977), The Deer Hunter (1978)
Meryl Streep - The Deer Hunter (1978), Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Guy Pearce - The Hurt Locker (2009), The King's Speech (2010)

Professor Wagstaff

#632 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 am

John Goodman - The Artist (2011), Argo (2012)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#633 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:56 am

Was there a more (culturally) quickly forgotten Best Picture winner in recent times than The Artist?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#634 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 am

Great film, but it was never culturally relevant to begin with. Doesn't change anything, I'd argue Argo's well on its way to being forgotten too

TMDaines

Awards Season 2015

#635 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 am

In fairness, The Artist has a massive handicap of being a quasi silent film, so it's not going to get much TV time and the like to keep it in the cultural zeitgeist.
Professor Wagstaff wrote:John Goodman - The Artist (2011), Argo (2012)
Probably would fall in that second tier of one or more not being leading roles but substantial supporting roles?

Note: I've not seen The Hurt Locker or The Deer Hunter so am guessing as to whether the parts in that are leads or secondary.

flyonthewall2983

#636 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 am

domino harvey wrote:Great film, but it was never culturally relevant to begin with. Doesn't change anything, I'd argue Argo's well on its way to being forgotten too
Agreed. This brings up a good question. What Best Picture winners from the last 10-15 years will remain culturally relevant?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#637 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 am

No Country for Old Men and LOTR are prob the only ones that still are now! Again, doesn't matter, but still

thirtyframesasecond

#638 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Was there a more (culturally) quickly forgotten Best Picture winner in recent times than The Artist?
The fact that the Artist was even nominated for Best Picture, let alone a winner of the award, was quite astonishing in the first place. I think the Academy is much more open minded to European films competing for its top awards, mainly because there's such a lack of good Hollywood films to choose from, but hey. Either side of The Artist, The King's Speech and Argo win. Neither are anything like at the same level of The Artist and I barely remember a thing about them. Apart from 12 Years A Slave (not a movie I'm mad on to be honest), maybe The Hurt Locker at a push (but even then it's a psychological movie about the effects of war, not a look at the Middle East wars specifically) what was the last "culturally relevant" Best Picture winner?

thirtyframesasecond

#639 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am

domino harvey wrote:No Country for Old Men and LOTR are prob the only ones that still are now! Again, doesn't matter, but still
I've a few gaps here and there but besides The Artist, it'd take me ages to find a Best Picture winner I actually like (we might even be going Amadeus far back).

Werewolf by Night

#641 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:00 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I wonder, with streaming becoming an equal and if not stronger alternative to traditional television, if and/or when the Academy would ever consider going that route?
We'd have to be living in a world where the Academy no longer gets about $70 million a year for the broadcast rights worldwide and where ABC doesn't get $80 million in ad revenue. It's not about how old the viewers are, it's about the $$$, and I can't see any kind of streaming, even pay-per-view, coming up to that level anytime soon. Live televised events with mass appeal (the Oscars, the Grammys, the Superbowl) are pretty much the only guaranteed moneymakers for broadcast networks, so they'll keep them as long as they can.

terabin

#642 Post by terabin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:28 pm

The Oscars were great this year and always important culturally. Leo gets to make his speech as an environmental activist, The Weeknd has their most important moment as a band in the spotlight, Chris Rock has many shining stand-up moments including an incredible monologue. CK is hilarious. This is why The Oscars exist and I'm sure others here on the forum have other winking details to share. It's a thing of beauty really. Even as we delve into Tarkovsky and other Giants of film past, we can still appreciate the present cultural moment.

thirtyframesasecond

#643 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 pm

terabin wrote:The Oscars were great this year and always important culturally. Leo gets to make his speech as an environmental activist, The Weeknd has their most important moment as a band in the spotlight, Chris Rock has many shining stand-up moments including an incredible monologue. CK is hilarious. This is why The Oscars exist and I'm sure others here on the forum have other winking details to share. It's a thing of beauty really. Even as we delve into Tarkovsky and other Giants of film past, we can still appreciate the present cultural moment.
The Weeknd is a he, and he's had two number one singles this year. He, of all people, didn't need an Oscars bounce.

I only just noticed Lubezki made it a hat trick of Oscars (and he was nominated for Tree of Life the year before too). I wonder if anyone has ever won three in a row in any category?

Ribs

#644 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 pm

I really liked how Chris Rock didn't make any jokes about any of the movies that were nominated.

TMDaines

#645 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Ribs wrote:I really liked how Chris Rock didn't make any jokes about any of the movies that were nominated.
Just in case this wasn't sarcastic: there was an entire set of sketches on them.

Feego

#646 Post by Feego » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 pm

lacritfan wrote:I don't mind the Grammys putting CBS TV folks on their telecast but ABC putting Kerry Washington (Django Unchained) and Priyanka Chopra (numerous Bollywood movies) on was a bit much.
Variety's review of the show called ABC out on Washington and Chopra's presence as well, calling it "a brazen level of self-promotion."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#647 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Kerry Washington is a huge star and I can absolutely see where she has a place as a presenter and interview subject, but I'm glad I wasn't alone in having no idea who Chopra was, and wondering why in the world they were asking her about the Baywatch movie on the red carpet.

htom

#648 Post by htom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 pm

terabin wrote:The Oscars were great this year and always important culturally. Leo gets to make his speech as an environmental activist, The Weeknd has their most important moment as a band in the spotlight, Chris Rock has many shining stand-up moments including an incredible monologue. CK is hilarious. This is why The Oscars exist and I'm sure others here on the forum have other winking details to share. It's a thing of beauty really. Even as we delve into Tarkovsky and other Giants of film past, we can still appreciate the present cultural moment.
The Weeknd is a he, and he's had two number one singles this year. He, of all people, didn't need an Oscars bounce.

I only just noticed Lubezki made it a hat trick of Oscars (and he was nominated for Tree of Life the year before too). I wonder if anyone has ever won three in a row in any category?
No, there was a gap as Tree of Life was a 2011 nomination.
As to consecutive wins, according to Wikipedia:

The LOTR trilogy won Best Visual Effects for all three films, released in consecutive years 2001-2003, with Jim Rygiel and Randall William Cook named each time;
Roger Edens shared the award for Best Score from 1948-1950;
Walt Disney won for Best Short Subject (Cartoon) eight times in a row from 1931-1932 to 1939 and Best Short subject (two-reel live action) four times in a row from 1950-1953.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#649 Post by lacritfan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm

L.A. Times credits the Academy-East members who know him mostly from Broadway for pushing him over Stallone.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#650 Post by lacritfan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Feego wrote:
lacritfan wrote:I don't mind the Grammys putting CBS TV folks on their telecast but ABC putting Kerry Washington (Django Unchained) and Priyanka Chopra (numerous Bollywood movies) on was a bit much.
Variety's review of the show called ABC out on Washington and Chopra's presence as well, calling it "a brazen level of self-promotion."
I forgot Sofia Vergara (Hot Pursuit ).