Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Re: Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)

#151 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm

If anyone’s wondering- the differences between cuts

Roger Ryan

#152 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 pm

It may seem minor, but the deletion of the last two knife stabs (Arbogast scene) has bugged me for decades by throwing off the otherwise impeccable timing of this great sequence.

Finch

#153 Post by Finch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:40 pm

I don't have my UK Blu-Ray at hand (still boxed up in Edinburgh) but I'm guessing the European Blu-Ray has the original with no cuts?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#154 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:00 pm

No, the German Blu-ray box was the first and until now only home video release for the full cut on disc

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#155 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 am

The extended version is also on the UHD release, as confirmed by the back of the package

Swift

#156 Post by Swift » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Just going back to the earlier discussion, I would've been aware of the shower scene already on my first viewing, but I wasn't expecting the noir element of the first half and was pleasantly surprised by that. As another poster said, I almost find it a shame when the film takes that hard left turn later on. I was wondering how the film was initially marketed. Was it advertised as a crime caper, without any mention of the latter half? This trailer seems like a modern fanmade thing, so I assume not contemporary of the time, but there's this 6 minute promo piece where Hitchcock is all very coy about what happens, but obviously suggests that the horror aspect was front and central.

Would this have been the main promotional trailer for the film? I ask also because there are heavy hints (well, more than heavy hints) at a murder in the shower the piercing score briefly shows up there, so I wonder how much of a surprise it truly was for an audience.

The Curious Sofa

#157 Post by The Curious Sofa » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 pm
Just going back to the earlier discussion, I would've been aware of the shower scene already on my first viewing, but I wasn't expecting the noir element of the first half and was pleasantly surprised by that. As another poster said, I almost find it a shame when the film takes that hard left turn later on. I was wondering how the film was initially marketed. Was it advertised as a crime caper, without any mention of the latter half? This trailer seems like a modern fanmade thing, so I assume not contemporary of the time, but there's this 6 minute promo piece where Hitchcock is all very coy about what happens, but obviously suggests that the horror aspect was front and central.

Would this have been the main promotional trailer for the film? I ask also because there are heavy hints (well, more than heavy hints) at a murder in the shower the piercing score briefly shows up there, so I wonder how much of a surprise it truly was for an audience.
The 6 minute trailer was the original as far as I know and it's a classic. Hitchcock was the only director who was so famous and such a brand that films were marketed with him being the main draw. There is the shower scene, but it's a misdirect, as that's Vera Miles under the shower.

Orlac

#158 Post by Orlac » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Was Psycho Hitch's first appearence in the trailers for his films?

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#159 Post by FigrinDan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 pm
I ask also because there are heavy hints (well, more than heavy hints) at a murder in the shower the piercing score briefly shows up there, so I wonder how much of a surprise it truly was for an audience.
Remember Hitchcock's simplification of mystery & suspense...
“Mystery is when the spectator knows less than the characters in the movie.
Suspense is when the spectator knows more than the characters in the movie.”

dustybooks

#160 Post by dustybooks » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Orlac wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:35 pm
Was Psycho Hitch's first appearence in the trailers for his films?
No, at the very least he's in trailers for The Wrong Man (same as his personal introduction in the film) and North by Northwest. I believe he appears from the back in Rear Window's trailer, too.

RIP Film

#162 Post by RIP Film » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:55 am

I wonder if anyone else caught Horror Hotel / The City of the Dead on TCM. The similarities are striking, and they were made around the same time!

Orlac

#163 Post by Orlac » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:34 pm

RIP Film wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:55 am
I wonder if anyone else caught Horror Hotel / The City of the Dead on TCM. The similarities are striking, and they were made around the same time!
I think the films were made too close together to be an influence on each other, but it wouldn't surprise me if Milton Subotsky had read Bloch's novel. He was a bit of a magpie at times!

Roscoe

#164 Post by Roscoe » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am

A quick look online shows that CITY OF THE DEAD and PSYCHO were in production almost simultaneously. It just seems to be one of those funky little coincidences.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#165 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:11 pm

RIP Film wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:55 am
I just watched The City of the Dead this afternoon, and came here to ask about this exact issue! The most prominent overlap is of course the
SpoilerShow
structural conceit of killing off the young blonde woman who has been our protagonist with a visceral, shocking stabbing at the midpoint of the film and then replacing her with a lover and a sibling retracing her steps. There's also the substantial significance of a spooky, rundown hotel off the main road; repeated featuring of dead birds; and the one I couldn't believe hadn't been at least inspired by Bloch's novel — the reveal of a slumped woman's form to be a long dead corpse sitting in a chair, punctuated by an excellent scream from the second female lead!