The Rum Diary (Bruce Robinson, 2011)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
dx23

The Rum Diary (Bruce Robinson, 2011)

#1 Post by dx23 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:39 am

From the IMDB.com:
Depp Breathes Life Into 'The Rum Diary'

Actor Johnny Depp is bringing Hunter S. Thompson's autobiographical novel The Rum Diary to the silver screen - seven years after he was announced as the leading man. Depp was cast to play the role of Thompson in 2000, co-starring with Nick Nolte in the tale of a journalist's adventures as he moves from New York to a San Juan newspaper in Puerto Rico. Benicio Del Toro and Josh Hartnett were also appointed to star in the movie in 2002, but the actors, including Nolte, are no longer involved in the film. The revived project will now be produced by Depp and The Departed filmmaker Graham King - who has acquired the full rights to the book. The Rum Diary will be penned and directed by Withnail And I writer Bruce Robinson, with shooting expected to begin after Depp finishes filming his current movie, Shantaram, with Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan.

CSM126

#2 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 am

Eh. Not a terribly good book to begin with, so I have little interest. It is always a pleasure to see Depp play Thompson (his performance in Fear and Loathing is a personal favorite), but I dunno. I think I'll pass on this one.

Joe Buck

#3 Post by Joe Buck » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:48 am

I'm confused....will Johnny still be playing Thompson? I'm very excited to see more works of Dr. Thompson on the big screen. They should have made a sequel to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".....no, make that 2 sequels.

dx23

#4 Post by dx23 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 am

From Variety.com:
Depp goes Gonzo again
Actor to star in 'The Rum Diary'
By DIANE GARRETT

Johnny Depp will channel Hunter S. Thompson once again in Warner Independent's adaptation of "The Rum Diary."
Thesp is producing with Graham King, who acquired rights to Thompson's novel for his GK Films shingle and Depp's Infinitum Nihil outfit. Bruce Robinson ("Withnail and I") will write and direct the adaptation, which Film Engine is also producing.

Depp will play Paul Kemp, a freelance journo writing for a rundown newspaper in 1950s Puerto Rico and surrounded by a bunch of lost souls bent on self-destruction. The journo was 22 when he wrote the autobiographical novel and had yet to develop his trademark gonzo style. It was written in 1959 but not published until 1998.

Depp previously starred in the bigscreen adaptation of Thompson's psychedelic-soaked adventures chronicled in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," published in 1972.

Depp just finished work on "Sweeney Todd" and is expected to do "The Rum Diary" after "Shantaram," Mira Nair's adaptation of the novel about an Australian drug addict who resumes his life of crime after escaping to India.

Infinitum and King are producing that project with Plan B.

Depp has a series of other projects in the works with King through Infinitum, which recently reupped its deal with King. They include an adaptation of "Dark Shadows" (Daily Variety, July 27) and "Sasha's Story: The Life and Death of a Russian Spy."

King's GK Films banner is skedded to begin lensing "The Young Victoria" with Emily Blunt this summer.

Besides "Withnail and I," Robinson previously penned "The Killing Fields." He also wrote and directed "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" and "Jennifer 8."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 am

it's the last minute inclusion of Jennifer 8 that really sells the prospect

lord_clyde

#6 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:11 pm

I liked 'Withnail and I' but come on! Let Gilliam do this!

LeeB.Sims

#7 Post by LeeB.Sims » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I think this is going to be a great return project for Bruce Robinson and I've been looking forward to it for a long time. His dark, sardonic personality and dry, British sensibilities should lend themselves nicely to Thompson's work in my opinion. I've always loved the way Withnail… creates the same disorienting sense of drug addled desperation that Gilliam bombarded us with in Fear and Loathing, without any of the visual trickery or manipulative effects. This is not to say that Withnail is a better film, but that they are two very different interpretations of similar material. Criterion obviously made this tonal connection early on when they commissioned long-time Thompson collaborator Ralph Steadman to illustrate the cover for Withnail and I. Furthermore, I think Bruce Robinson is an underappreciated director on the whole and I happen to think Jennifer 8 is an excellent film. Andy Garcia's performance is pitch-perfect throughout as is Uma Thurman's. This was the first film I ever saw her in and in fact I actually thought she was blind for a long time. Also, there is an unnervingly memorable bit part for John Malkovitch that I just love/hate. Robinson's script is tight (though slightly conventional) and I think his direction manages to evoke quite a bit of mood and nuance for a simple police serial thriller.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:45 pm

LeeB.Sims wrote:Criterion obviously made this tonal connection early on when they commissioned long-time Thompson collaborator Ralph Steadman to illustrate the cover for Withnail and I.
No they didn't - they merely recycled Steadman's British poster design, which dates from before Withnail was even cast, let alone shot.

LeeB.Sims

#9 Post by LeeB.Sims » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Okay, didn't research that, my bad. Still, an odd coincidental connection between Robinson and Thompson wouldn't you say?