7 The Lady from Shanghai

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Indicator

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Drucker wrote:Love to buy Lady From Shanghai a fourth time on blu-ray.
Was there anything wrong with the transfer on the last one that came out? I can't remember.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:52 pm

rapta wrote:Seems they're expecting that one to be popular: their listing for The Lady from Shanghai has since been revised to say "Limited Dual Format Edition of 5,000 copies", rather than 3000.

Probably wise of them to do that - will no doubt be a popular one.
You're confused, the 5000 figure is actually how many future Blu-ray editions this film will garner

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm

swo17 wrote:
Was there anything wrong with the transfer on the last one that came out? I can't remember.
Nope but it had no extras. (Specifically: the Mill Creek edition)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm still fine with my original TCM Blu. Frankly, I grow tired of people pouring over the most minute tech differences. Obviously if you don't have any editions already, Inducator's will no doubt be the one to pick up

Noiradelic

#30 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 pm

swo17 wrote:
david hare gave it high marks.

Cronenfly

#31 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:55 am

The Mill Creek was pretty cheap, so I don't mind upgrading, especially if the extras/specs get significantly upgraded in any way. If I had purchased any of the other editions I imagine I would probably pass.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:18 am

I thought the Mill Creek was the first one not to screw up the picture though.

Cronenfly

#33 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 am

I'm sure you are correct, though that's not a sentence I expect to hear very often, if perhaps ever again!

Noiradelic

#34 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:44 am

Cronenfly wrote:I'm sure you are correct, though that's not a sentence I expect to hear very often, if perhaps ever again!
It's because Sony handed Mill Creek one of their excellent restorations. MC's The Wild One's supposed to be quite good as well.

andyli

#36 Post by andyli » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Only brightnes-wise. After all, it is the second issued TCM disc that has the black crush problem. On the other hand, Indicator has the most robust bitrate and comprehensive extras.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#37 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:45 pm

david hare wrote:While I am sure David's encode for Indicator is far and away the winner, I should point out for those who own the Mill Creek reissue that the 21 plus gig file was completely encoded and mastered by Sony and Grover Crisp's team. Mill Creek di no further mastering their only contribution as the disc authoring. So if you're counting your pennies it's still a very high quality transfer.

One thing to bear in mind if you keep backups and ripping is that some (not all so far) of Indicator's Sony titles carry Cinavia encryption which may (or may not) impede playback from a ripped BDMV file on an HDD or stick.
I was just mentioning in the technical issues and questions page that Indicator titles won't load on my oppo. Could that encryption be the reason?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#38 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:39 am

david hare wrote:One thing to bear in mind if you keep backups and ripping is that some (not all so far) of Indicator's Sony titles carry Cinavia encryption which may (or may not) impede playback from a ripped BDMV file on an HDD or stick.
Oh. I was wondering why I was having difficulties running the BD on my computer to do some screencaps for my review and didn't think Indicator would incorporate the Sony Cinavia encryption (which I always thought would only be found on Sony releases, not Sony-licensed stuff).

MichaelB

Re: 7 The Lady from Shanghai

#39 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 am

Standard edition confirmed for 25th May - same Blu-ray disc as the limited edition (extras and all), but no DVD, booklet or reversible sleeve, and it comes in an Amaray instead of a Scanavo case.