Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Peacock

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2626 Post by Peacock » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:18 pm

Thank you swo! Missed that before. Never really made sense at the time.

I’ve only seen the first Marins film from the original Fantoma DVD. What would people suggest are the standout films of the series?

Finch

#2627 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am

James's latest tweet:
Happy to say that @thedavewain & @mattybudrewicz have delivered an extraordinary, definitive 5000-word history of a major and hitherto overlooked purveyor of small-screen cinema, for a title to be announced at the end of this month - watch this space!

bitsofme

#2628 Post by bitsofme » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:22 am

jazzo wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:42 pm
My suggestion: let sleeping pigs lie.
My experience (Canadian, no less) is similar, though I was not a fan of the teen sex comedies that started proliferating in the late 70's to the mid-80's. One of my teenage favorites was Revenge of the Nerds.. but watching it again in my 20's, the "Darth Vader" mask scene wasn't a laugh any more, only very creepy.

Finch

#2629 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Coffin Joe tease surely, following on from the postcard found in a recent UK release. Although someone on the other forum also suggested Withnail and I 4k.

Finch

#2630 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:34 pm

Indiewire and Entertainment Weekly are both saying that the Director's Cut is going to be on the upcoming Arrow release of Blackhat. Indiewire are making it sound definitive while EW are hedging their bets a little.

Would be nice if the DC has been graded correctly. The 2016 screenings were apparently of a rough looking edit.

M Sanderson

#2631 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:00 am

so are we thinking a Coffin Joe box is due, in UDH or Blu ray?

all of the three main Coffin Joe films, as well as the last one, Embodiment of Evil?

rapta

#2632 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:06 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:34 pm
Indiewire and Entertainment Weekly are both saying that the Director's Cut is going to be on the upcoming Arrow release of Blackhat. Indiewire are making it sound definitive while EW are hedging their bets a little.

Would be nice if the DC has been graded correctly. The 2016 screenings were apparently of a rough looking edit.
I mean, I think Arrow would disappoint everyone if they kept delaying this only to not deliver the DC as originally teased (some would say promised...that 'accidental' newsletter certainly indicated this was the case).

Then again, it does seem 88 Films have disappointed some when they implied they might be doing Miami Vice 4K, only to now scale back and the latest news is that it's just regular Blu-ray again (as originally announced). They will be including both cuts, but no idea why it was delayed for over a year to release in regular HD.

The immediate assumption is Mann got involved for the worse in both/either situation, but Arrow have had better luck in the past (Thief LE remains one of their best ever releases).

Lastly, I really hope Arrow can do a decent edition of The Last of the Mohicans soon. They acquired the rights as part of the Morgan Creek library nearly 4 years ago now, and we haven't had a Limited Edition announcement. I imagine they're trying to restore it themselves and also cover UHD as well as Blu-ray, so perhaps it's more complicated than we realise. They did Nightbreed and The Exorcist III in 2019, True Romance in 2021, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in 2022, so you'd think this year would be The Last of the Mohicans (and not...Ace Ventura).

What A Disgrace

#2633 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:32 am

I don't think there's any mystery about this Friday's announcement.

dwk

#2634 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:17 pm

I'm listening to Criterion's Clyde Folley talk about the Channel's 90s Horror series on All of It on WNYC and out of left field the producer of Madman called in and said that they just signed a deal with Arrow for a UHD.

yoloswegmaster

#2635 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:25 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:17 pm
I'm listening to Criterion's Clyde Folley talk about the Channel's 90s Horror series on All of It on WNYC and out of left field the producer of Madman called in and said that they just signed a deal with Arrow for a UHD.
Doesn't Madman already have a 4K UHD from VS or is there another title named Madman that I'm not aware of?

dwk

#2636 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:27 pm

You are right, I should have specified a UK UHD.

yoloswegmaster

#2637 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:44 pm

I should have realized that it would have been a UK-only release but I forgot that they operated from the UK. I'm surprised that they are releasing this when the VS disc has been out for over a year now and I don't know what else Arrow could add to the release.

dwk

#2638 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:05 pm

The VS release is pretty expensive and even more so as an import, so I assume that there should be a decent enough market for a domestic UK UHD.

What A Disgrace

#2639 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:39 pm

Madman is one of my favorite slashers, if Arrow actually DOES manage to add something new to it (the VS release did not, aside from the transfer), I may just have to imbibe.

sabbath

#2640 Post by sabbath » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:45 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:39 pm
Madman is one of my favorite slashers, if Arrow actually DOES manage to add something new to it (the VS release did not, aside from the transfer), I may just have to imbibe.
To be fair, VS added “I’m Not a Screamer” - a brand new interview with lead actress Gaylen Ross (19:30) to their 4K.

Anyway, the 2015 UK Arrow Blu-ray release of Madman was already stacked with supplements almost identical to the VS release (minus the said new interview), and considering what Arrow did with their recent Blu to 4K upgrades like Weird Science or Blood and Black Lace, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add anything new to the upcoming 4K, except maybe a new cover art or booklet writing.

Finch

#2641 Post by Finch » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:08 am

What A Disgrace

#2642 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:18 am

If this is continuing the trend of clues being easy to guess, can anyone identify this sword?

CSM126

#2643 Post by CSM126 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:31 am

Reverse image search suggests that this is a stock photo, so really all we’ve got to go with is “sword”.

It’s the wrong type of sword, but my first instinct is something Highlander related. Seems like a franchise Arrow would go for.

Maltic

#2644 Post by Maltic » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:48 am

There have been four theatrical Highlander films, one made-for-TV film, two live-action television series, an animated television series, an anime film, a flash animation series, original novels, comic books, and various licensed merchandise.
Didn't realise the "franchise" was that extensive. Another opportunity to put out 17 discs and lots of "artwork" and parafernalia.

yoloswegmaster

#2645 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:00 am

I would be surprised if it was for Highlander considering the first film already has 4K releases from Lionsgate in the US and StudioCanal in the UK. Then again, that hasn't stopped Arrow from re-releasing titles already released on 4K.

I think the clue is for Conan the Barbarian/Destroyer, mainly because of this tweet from James Flower back in July:

Robert Eggers mentioned that Conan was an inspiration for The Northman and Arrow did recently release The Lighthouse. It would also make sense since both Conan titles are with Universal in the US and Arrow have released a lot of Universal titles from them.

Dr Amicus

#2646 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:01 am

My first thought was Excalibur 4k.

Edit: If it is Conan, the first one is Fox internationally so that may be an issue (unless its US only). The second one though... (which I have a soft spot for as it was one of the first 15 certificate films I saw at the cinema).

yoloswegmaster

#2647 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:07 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:01 am
My first thought was Excalibur 4k.
That's with Warner, so I would be surprised if they did release it.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2648 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:10 am

First thought also was Excalibur 4k, second thought was "but it's Warner so no".
Conan looks like a fitting guess, like Legend where it's US only.

Dr Amicus

#2649 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:53 am

Agreed re Warners and Excalibur - I didn't add that my second thought was "but that's Warners so not likely".

AxeYou

#2650 Post by AxeYou » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:23 pm

Does MGM hold UK rights to Carrie? Looks like whatever’s been holding back UK 4K releases of MGM titles has been resolved.