Hungarian films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Hungarian films on DVD

#26 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:19 pm

TheDoug wrote:Does magyar, angol mean English subtitles? I'm unclear as to whether the 2-Disc individual discs, Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, and Old Boy have all the same specifications.

Bottom line: English or No English subtitles?
Felirat = subtitles
Magyar = Hungarian
Angol = English

TheDoug

#27 Post by TheDoug » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification MichaelB. So it would seem they have both Hungarian and English subtitles...cool! 8-)

skuhn8

#28 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Nice looking box. I went dvd shopping at 3 different stores today and have never seen this so it does indeed look like one of the xpress exlusives. I've only seen the Old Boy one disc edition around. So it's 3 2-disc sets (I believe you figured that out). Of course the question is whether the extras also include English subs or if they were originally in English. They are certainly hungarian subbed. Looking at the menus it doesn't indicate subs for extras, but if you have the option to select English or Korean or Hungarian from the outset maybe it's provided?

Az eddig 29 nemzetközi díjat nyert három kultfilm 6 lemezen, 1100 percnyi magyar feliratos extrával jelenik meg!
[These six cult films which one 29 international awards includes 1100 minutes of hungarian subbed extras]

Ebből a kiadványból mindösszesen 1.000 példány készül, és csak nálunk lesz kapható! Utángyártás a kiadványból nem lesz!
[This edition is only produced in 1000 copies, and only available through us. It will not be available after this release.]

Here's the extras on Old Boy:

EXTRÁK:

1. LEMEZ (disc):

* Audiókommentár - a rendező közreműködésével- MAGYAR FELIRATTAL
[audio commentary - Director]
* Audiókommentár - a rendező és az operatőr közreműködésével- MAGYAR FELIRATTAL
[audio commentary - Director and Operator]
* Audiókommentár - a rendező és a szereplők közreműködésével- MAGYAR FELIRATTAL
[audio commentary - Director and cast]
* Előzetes [trailer]

2. LEMEZ (disc):

* Dokumentumfilm - Videonapló: Öt hónap az Oldboy forgatásán (kb. 210 p.) - MAGYAR FELIRATTAL
[documentary film - Video Diary: 5 Months on the filming of Old Boy (210 minutes) - with Hungarian subtitles

And here are some shots of content.

TheDoug

#29 Post by TheDoug » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Skuhn8, thanks for your translation help as well. Most Korean sets with xtra's or supplementary discs usually don't include English subtitles. I'm mulling whether I may want to add this set to my collection since I own other Region 1 and 2 sets of the same films from this director. It is enticing since it is limited to only a 1000 sets. The screenshots of the menus from the link you provided definitely show English subs for the feature films themselves.

(http://www.dvdzoom.hu/b/bosszu_trilogia.phphe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; states?)

What might be the postage costs for shipping a set of this size to the states?

Skuhn8, I just sent you a new PM with regard to the Bosszu-Trilogia set. You may also contact me via my email as well...

skuhn8

#30 Post by skuhn8 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:13 pm

TheDoug wrote:Skuhn8, I just sent you a new PM with regard to the Bosszu-Trilogia set. You may also contact me via my email as well...
Received your PM and looking into it.
Please, let's not make this thread about our transactions and correspondence.
I have a thread here for available DVDs in Hungary.
If you wish to post regarding specific queries or transactions please post there. Thanks.

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 pm

skuhn8 wrote:Please, let's not make this thread about our transactions and correspondence.
...unless you want to rename the thread 'Korean Films on Hungarian DVD'!

TheDoug

#32 Post by TheDoug » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:
skuhn8 wrote:Please, let's not make this thread about our transactions and correspondence.
...unless you want to rename the thread 'Korean Films on Hungarian DVD'!
Sorry about that folks!! In the end, that all make sense!!! #-o

skuhn8

#33 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 am

Great news from Hungary--

Hyppolit a lakáj / Hyppolyt, the Butler - Székely István 1931 aka Steve Szekely (The Day of the Triffids 1962)

Full digital restoration on picture/sound and includes English subtitles. This is Hungary's first sound film and considered the cornerstone of Hungary's golden age of comedy. This is currently the only pre-war film with English subs.

The edition comes in a slipcase, has an 8 page booklet regarding making of and restoration (in Hungarian).
Nearly an hour of extra features include:

- 1966 interview with the director (4:31) voice dubbed over 30's documentary footage of Budapest and relevant pictures, newspapers
- Interviews with one of the crew and one of the surviving actresses (22:00)
- Restoration Documentary (12:00)
- Picture and Sound documents pertaining to the film (6:00) no dialog, but sound recording from original 78 over onset pictures and poster art
- Film newsreel from January 1932 (10:00)

No English subs on extras unfortunately

htdm

#34 Post by htdm » Tue May 12, 2009 1:23 am

Just got this today (thanks Skuhn8) and what an absolutely charming comedy this is!
The quality of the restoration is astonishing and the theme song is a gem (think Hungarian Rudy Vallee). I hope this bodes well for more prewar Hungarian cinema in the future (English-subbed)

L.A.

#35 Post by L.A. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Az aranyember (1962)

Seems to be the first Hungarian film in scope format.

Also the DVD seems to be subtitled in English. Can someone confirm that is it?

skuhn8

#36 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:04 am

L.A. wrote:Az aranyember (1962)

I believe it did have english subs...but has unfortunately been out of print for ages.

L.A.

#37 Post by L.A. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:55 am

skuhn8 wrote:
L.A. wrote:Az aranyember (1962)

I believe it did have english subs...but has unfortunately been out of print for ages.
Ok, thank you for the info!

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I've been devouring 1960s and 1970s Hungarian classics at the Era New Horizons festival in Wrocław this week - mostly features that are either not available at all on DVD (Zoltán Fábri's Twenty Hours, Ferenc Kósa's Ten Thousand Suns, Márta Mészáros' Adoption) or not available with English subtitles (Miklós Jancsó's The Confrontation), plus a brace of shorts from the deservedly renowned Béla Balász Studio, whose website does at least have short video clips.

Check out Punitive Expedition (1970) and Capriccio, the latter by Zoltán Huszárik of Szindbád fame - and an almost unique example of a powerful non-narrative seasonal elegy that's also laugh-out-loud funny (my kids would love the snowmen!).

Perkins Cobb

#39 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:Márta Mészáros' Adoption
Actually there's a Kino DVD of this, albeit an improper PAL->NTSC conversion, I believe.

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks for the tip-off - PAL-NTSC conversions actually don't look too bad via my Oppo 983, and it's not as though the 35mm print I saw was that great to begin with (physical condition and rudimentary subtitles suggests a 1975 original).

Perkins Cobb

#41 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

You know, I have no idea why, but PAL->NTSC conversions look slightly more tolerable on my new plasma TV than they did on the 36" CRT I was using until early this year. It softens the motion blur effect a bit. A pleasant surprise, since most DVD reviews assume the opposite.

skuhn8

#42 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 am

Those familiar with Attila Janisch will be happy to hear that his complete works are now available in a box set...however, only the three main features contain English subtitles. Four DVDs; three cases; one box.

DVD 1 (also available separately)
Árnyék a havon (Magyarország - 1991): Shadow in the Snow (71') w/English/French/Swedish subtitles. Anamorphic 2.35:1 black/white
Starring Miroslav Baka known for his work in Kieslowski's "Short Film about Killing"
Extra features below do not include English subtitles
* Janisch Attila Portrait (documentary about his career)
* Separate Interviews - Janisch Attilával, Forgách Andrással, Miroslaw Baká (this last one is in English, made very recently but is less than 5 minutes long)
* Screen tests - Miroslaw Baká and Bacsa Ildikó (a little over 10 minutes with Miroslav doing most of his tests in Polish)
* Kisfilm - Kameravázlatok
* Filmographies
* Photo Galleries -- including very insightful behind the scenes shots of the director in action
* Trailers for the three films
* His first short film - Róbert és Róbert – (1981) (24')--with an early appearance of Udvaras Dorrotya
* Early short film - Lélegzetvisszafojtva – (1985) (53')
Shadow on the Snow (1991)
March 31, 1992
Review/Film Festival; On the Run in a Hostile Hungary
By STEPHEN HOLDEN
Published: March 31, 1992

"Shadow on the Snow," the moody first feature film by Attila Janisch, a 34-year-old Hungarian director, evokes a wintry bleakness that is so concentrated it leaves a lingering chill.

Filmed in inky black-and-white, it traces the peripatetic movements of Sandor Gaspar (Miroslaw Baka), a grim young man who shuttles between a crude country cabin and a bare city apartment with his daughter, Rebecca (Zsofi Baji). From Sandor's phone calls to characters who remain mostly off screen, it is obvious that he is desperate for money. And with his sharp, vulpine features and air of generalized furtiveness, he stirs up suspicion and hostility wherever he goes. He also has a stormy relationship with a girlfriend, Agnes (Johanna-Kreft Baka), who exudes more fear than affection during their tumultuous encounters.

Sandor is the sort of sullen hothead who invites trouble at every turn. And sure enough it arrives one day while he is standing in line at the post office. A robber enters the building and secures a bag of cash but in the last second stumbles and drops his booty. On an impulse, Sandor picks it up and flees conspicuously through the streets.

The rest of the film becomes a cold-eyed study of paranoia that turns into grim animal terror. After cowering in his apartment, Sandor tries to cover up the deed in a series of panicky maneuvers. But when Agnes shows him a front-page story about the crime with a drawing of his face, he flees with Rebecca to the country, where he becomes the object of a relentless manhunt.

In the fiendish ways it toys with the audience and in its icy view of the human condition, "Shadow on the Snow" has a lot in common with the early films of Roman Polanski. It is particularly adroit in its mixing of chilly soundtrack music with clinking sound effects of everyday objects filmed in close-up to evoke a jittery suspense.

But "Shadows on the Snow" is suffused with a desolation that runs deeper than Mr. Polanski's cynicism. Except for his attachment to his daughter, Sandor seems virtually disconnected from a world peopled with taciturn automatons, all of them potential enemies. And as played by Mr. Baka, the character exudes a certain magnetism while commanding very little sympathy. The city he inhabits is a place of sterile apartment buildings and scarred industrial wastelands. The country cabin has the cheerlessness of an army encampment before the age of electricity.

For Sandor it comes as almost a relief to find himself tracked down like an animal by gun-toting policemen. Long before he chanced onto this fugitive path, he knew the world was nothing but a desperate dog-eat-dog chase.
DVD 2:
Hosszú alkony (Magyarország - 1997): Long Dusk--70', w/English, French, Swedish subtitles, anamorphic, color
Based on Shirley Jackson story, 'The Bus', and starring Törőcsik Mari (Love, Weekend in Pest and Buda, Merry-go-round)
Extra features do not include subtitles:
* Portrait of the director documentary (I believe a repeat)
* Interviews with: Janisch Attilá, Forgách András, Törőcsik Mari, Csuja Imré
* Kisfilm - Kameravázlatok
* Filmographies
* Galleries
* Trailers
* Early short film - Zizi – (1983) (34')

DVD 3 & 4 (available as a DVDx2 set):
Másnap (Magyarország - 2004): After the Day Before --112', anamorphic, color, w/English, French, Swedish subtitles
Extra features do not include subtitles:
* 'Making of...' film
* Interviews with participants
* Short film -- location shots
* Deleted Scenes
* Portrait of the director documentary
* Interviews with: Forgách András, Ujlaki Dénes
* Filmographies
* Trailers for all three features
* Early short film - A másik part – (1984) (36')

Variety's Eddie Cockrell reviews here (along with a number of French reviews) including shots from the film:
PREMIERES CRITIQUES
A wandering stranger may or may not be involved with a brutal murder in the astonishingly unclassifiable thriller "After the Day Before." Magyar helmer Attila Janisch eschews linear narrative in favor of a kind of waking dream state that is cumulatively creepy and ultimately terrifying. This is uncompromising, risk-taking contemporary Euro arthouse filmmaking at its best, and as such will be in great demand at festivals. Less certain is pic's commercial fate in mainstream play, though brave distribs shouldn't tarry in tracking down a print: Word-of-mouth both yea and nay among upscale auds will be formidable.

This unsettling item, which Janisch says is about "the psychology of sin," summons feelings and images from work as diverse as Bram Stoker's "Dracula," the canon of experimental icon Maya Deren and Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining."

Dressed in a vest, tie and gabardine raincoat in spite of the boiling hot weather, a stranger gets off a truck in the middle of a rock-strewn, yet verdant, countryside and accepts a dilapidated bicycle from the driver. The visitor is searching for his inheritance, the apparently abandoned Gruber farm. He has no map or point of reference to guide him, only a faded photograph in a cigarette case.

"Don't rely on people helping you here," someone warns him early on, and that turns out to be true. Remaining absurdly over-dressed and toting a battered valise, the newcomer soon encounters Romek (Denes Ujlaki), who is irate over an apparent rendezvous between a young girl (Bori Derzsi) and the sullen Simon (Sandor Czeczo).

As the oddly calm stranger embarks on a zigzagging two-wheeled odyssey back and forth across the landscape, things just aren't adding up. What's with the local woman who lodged him that first night, and her daughter who sneaks in demanding that he kill her? And the strange dreams he's having? The severed lamb's head? The rooms that appear to be torture chambers? The Billie Holiday tune that wafts across the fields? And, who is this murdered young girl everyone mentions?Time becomes suspended, then shuffled, then irrelevant. Shattering climax rejects gore but is most definitely not for the faint of heart.

Janisch has been down this provocative path before, having directed "Long Twilight" from Shirley Jackson's short story, "The Bus," in 1996. His first featurefeature since then, "After the Day Before" required, per helmer, several years of location scouting alone to come up with the sinister topography that plays a majormajor role in pic's mood of profound disquiet.
Pic's complex imagery, courtesy of Andras Forgach's script, is dense in its preordained inevitability but never predictable, despite a distinct loss of momentum at about the 80-minute mark.
Lead Tibor Gaspar, a provincial theater talent making a physically demanding first film, has the perfect face and head for the many reaction shots required. Thesp's frightening mix of wonder and terror lends credence to the entire story.
EDDIE COCKRELL (VARIETY)

Skritek

#43 Post by Skritek » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:43 am

Here is an English article on Zoltán Fábri in the Czech film magazine Fantom. The new edition is on Hungarian cinema and includes a review of the Second Run release of Diary of my Children (in Czech).

I'm not sure what the occasion is, maybe because the cinema of the National Film Archive is/was showing some Hungarian films in January. Among others the masterful Szindbád (too bad I missed that), as well as Beyond Time (1973) by Ferenc Kósa and Sons of Fire by Imre Gyöngyössy. The latter has not yet been screened, so if I manage to see it, I'll post it here.

TonyHarrild

#44 Post by TonyHarrild » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:36 am

[quote="skuhn8"]

You are interested in the recent six in the series of profanity-laced offerings from MJ:
# Ede megevé ebédem (2006)
# A Mohácsi vész (2004)
# Kelj fel, komám, ne aludjál (2002)
... aka Wake Up, Mate, Don't You Sleep (International: English title)
# Utolsó vacsora az Arabs Szürkénél (2001)
... aka Last Supper at the Arabian Gray Horse (International: English title)
# Anyád! A szúnyogok (2000)
# Nekem lámpást adott kezembe az Úr, Pesten (1999)
... aka Lord's Lantern in Budapest (UK)

I would be grateful for advice on how to obtain the above Jancso films plus any information on availability of the following:

Fényes szelek ( The Confrontation )
Sirokkó ( Teli sirokkó lek ; Winter Wind )
Égi bárány ( Agnus Dei )
La pacifista ( The Pacifist )

Thanks

MichaelB

#45 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 am

The Confrontation is available in Hungary, La Pacifista in Italy - but only in Hungarian and Italian.

I don't think the others are available anywhere - though in the case of the almost self-parodic Agnus Dei that's not much of a loss.

TonyHarrild

#46 Post by TonyHarrild » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Tony,

As Michael B mentioned, 'The Confrontation' is indeed available here in Hungary but without any subtitles (of any kind as I recall). The Jancso films are availabe separately or in a box set. There are no e-tailers here that ship abroad to my knowledge. I do make a number of titles available (including the Jancso set) in the trades forum.

Let me know if you're interested in any titles.

Best,
Stefan

Hi Stefan

Thank you for your message. Much appreciated.

Apologies, I do not yet have access to reply mode. I would be interested acquiring the Jancso boxed set and have access to Paypal. Can you let me have the details, including cost of postage, and a secure way of forwarding my address.

If I wanted The Confrontation would you have or know how I could access it. I will review the rest of your list and respond later.

Best wishes
Tony

trenchant

#47 Post by trenchant » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey, I just read a review on DiscDish of some crazy Hungarian film by Gyorgy Palfi -- it's called Taxidermia. Anyone ever seen it? It looks wild... http://tinyurl.com/ylkh68e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skuhn8

#48 Post by skuhn8 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:58 am

trenchant wrote:Hey, I just read a review on DiscDish of some crazy Hungarian film by Gyorgy Palfi -- it's called Taxidermia. Anyone ever seen it? It looks wild... http://tinyurl.com/ylkh68e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dedicated thread here.

Please take a look at the forum rules, tips, etc. before getting started. In the upper right corner of your screen you will see 'Search'. If you punch 'Taxidermia' into that you'll see a couple threads actually touching on this film.

Orphic Lycidas

#50 Post by Orphic Lycidas » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am

MichaelB wrote:The Confrontation is available in Hungary, La Pacifista in Italy - but only in Hungarian and Italian.

I don't think the others are available anywhere - though in the case of the almost self-parodic Agnus Dei that's not much of a loss.
Michael -- Where did you get the opportunity to see Jancso's Agnus Dei. It's been on the very top of my list of unavailable films I must see for many years now. You think it's pretty bad? What do you think of Red Psalm? Are they comparable in any way?