Pedro Costa on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
miless

#26 Post by miless » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:53 pm

thanks for posting this... I'm so excited. I can't wait to see what other films they'll release (assuming they're all of Colossal Youth's pedigree... ooh, maybe they'll release The Man From London!)

Telstar

#27 Post by Telstar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Just got a quick update from Cinema Scope. Apparently their production schedule is going to be more like 2 DVDs a year -- which basically means every other issue, rather than including a DVD in each and every issue. Still pretty cool.

Cronenfly

#28 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Here's the filmswelike site (with their catalogue) for reference. I wouldn't count on the future titles being as notable as Colossal Youth, but anything's possible.

Cold Bishop

#29 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:03 pm

What's this about them having The Sun on DVD?... first time I've heard of an R1.

Can anybody vouch for the quality of this periodical?

Cronenfly

#30 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:What's this about them having The Sun on DVD?... first time I've heard of an R1.

Can anybody vouch for the quality of this periodical?
Not to get too far off of the topic of Pedro Costa (the Cinemascope offer probably deserves its own thread somewhere not in the MoC Rumors and News section), but The Sun was released by Morningstar in Canada in September 2006 (available from Amazon.ca here). I haven't seen the disc, so I can't vouch for the quality, and I can't remember seeing any reviews of it either (not that I can link right now at least).

I've seen the magazine around, but never read an issue in any great depth. Based on a few superficial glances, though, it seems like a pretty solid publication. Perhaps someone else better versed in the magazine can fill in the gap I've left; I'll try to seek out an issue soon and report back.

Cold Bishop

#31 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:12 pm

So I see both companies are Canadian. That would explain much.

mikebowes

#32 Post by mikebowes » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:26 am

Cinema Scope is a great magazine. If anything I almost find it a bit too ahead of the curve in that I have to hold onto the magazine for a while because I haven't yet seen what they cover (new world cinema seems to be their focus) and want to see before I read. That said, the writing is top notch and their taste pretty darn stellar.

foggy eyes

#33 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 am

Good news for those in London/UK: Colossal Youth is opening at Ciné lumière for a short run from 25-30 of this month, and the first screening will be preceded by a talk with Costa himself.

There's an ad in the new issue of S&S that promises a retrospective at Tate Modern too, but I can't seem to find out when that is going to be. If anybody hears more about it, please post some info!

JCA

#34 Post by JCA » Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 am

criterionsnob wrote:From Cinemascope:
Subscriptions with FREE DVDs

Beginning with the Summer 2008 issue, Cinema Scope subscribers will receive FREE DVDs courtesy of Filmswelike. The first DVD in this special Cinema Scope Presents series, featuring extra features developed in partnership with Cinema Scope, will be Pedro Costa’s COLOSSAL YOUTH .
I signed up for this also, some time ago.

foggy eyes

#35 Post by foggy eyes » Mon May 12, 2008 11:40 am

I wrote:There's an ad in the new issue of S&S that promises a retrospective at Tate Modern too, but I can't seem to find out when that is going to be.
Sometime next year, apparently.

foggy eyes

#36 Post by foggy eyes » Tue May 13, 2008 9:06 am

JAP wrote:Slightly OT the article disclosed other DVD releases in Spain (4-dis set), France (3 movies on Éditions Montparnasse), UK ('Juventude em Marcha / Colossal Youth' by Eureka and ' Casa de Lava / Down to Earth' by Second Run) and Japan.
Good lord. Well, I was aware that Second Run were thinking about making moves on Casa de Lava, but Colossal Youth from (presumably) MoC would be a big surprise. The theatrical distributor here in the UK is Ciné lumière, who have given the film a very limited release at Institut français before the ICA and Watershed (Bristol) in June.

Further confirmation of Costa on Criterion is great news - I'm thrilled at all the movements on this front!

Awesome Welles

#37 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

That's intersting C and 2006 were not on the 'Awful Tease' I wonder if this was a late acquisition? If it does pan out I feel bad for getting the cinemascope subscription, something I only did for the free DVD. Oh well not a total waste.

colinr0380

#38 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:44 pm

foggy eyes wrote:The theatrical distributor here in the UK is Ciné lumière, who have given the film a very limited release at Institut français before the ICA and Watershed (Bristol) in June.
Wasn't that the same group that Tartan collaborated with to put out those contemporary 'extreme' French films (Tiresia, Clefs de Bagnole, Twentynine Palms, Errance, Choses Secrets, Novo, Who Killed Bambi? and the announced but stalled version of the Beatrice Dalle film Process)?

foggy eyes

#39 Post by foggy eyes » Tue May 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Yeah, that'll be them. I don't think Ciné lumière organise theatrical releases like this very often, so it's great if Eureka/MoC have been able to partner up and handle the DVD distribution.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#40 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am

FSimeoni wrote:That's intersting C and 2006 were not on the 'Awful Tease' I wonder if this was a late acquisition? If it does pan out I feel bad for getting the cinemascope subscription, something I only did for the free DVD. Oh well not a total waste.
The teaser only included titles planned for 2008, so maybe it won't be out till next year. And Cinema Scope is a very good magazine -- IMO ~£5 per issue isn't a bad deal even without the DVDs.

miless

#41 Post by miless » Tue May 20, 2008 5:33 pm

I just got this from Tamara:
We do hope to be releasing Costa, but please check back in a month or two for confirmation of this. I hope this helps, and thanks for your email!

Telstar

#42 Post by Telstar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 am

A bit of bad news for those of us who purchased Cinema Scope subscriptions primarily for the Costa and other upcoming DVDs. Production problems have apparently delayed the Costa title, which Cinema Scope is now hoping will be ready for inclusion in the Fall issue (due out in Sept).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Figures

Awesome Welles

#44 Post by Awesome Welles » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Telstar wrote:A bit of bad news for those of us who purchased Cinema Scope subscriptions primarily for the Costa and other upcoming DVDs. Production problems have apparently delayed the Costa title, which Cinema Scope is now hoping will be ready for inclusion in the Fall issue (due out in Sept).
Is it very easy to cancel your subscription? I am a bit fed up of waiting to be honest. By September an MoC or Criterion DVD may be around the corner.

a.khan

#45 Post by a.khan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Yes, that's disappointing, but don't forget: it's still an excellent magazine to read.

miless

#46 Post by miless » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 pm

with regular contribution from Jonathan Rosenbaum.

Awesome Welles

#47 Post by Awesome Welles » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:49 pm

I suppose I'll feel better about it when the magazine is in my hand, right now I've paid £20 for nothing so there is a little frustration.

Trelkovsky

Pedro Costa 4-disc set (R2 Spain)

#48 Post by Trelkovsky » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Pedro Costa 4-disc set (R2 Spain)

In July, Intermedio will release a box set containing:

-No quarto da Vanda
-Où gît votre sourire enfoui? (the long version)
-Juventude Em Marcha
-Tout refleurit (a documentary on Pedro Costa by Aurélien Gerbault)
+ Unspecified special features
+ A 176 pages book

More information here
Last edited by Trelkovsky on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ovader

#49 Post by Ovader » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:00 am

FSimeoni wrote:I suppose I'll feel better about it when the magazine is in my hand, right now I've paid £20 for nothing so there is a little frustration.
I was feeling the same and e-mailed them and received a quick reply stating the first issue of my subscription will be mailed out next week. I didn't ask about the inclusion of the DVD though, so as mentioned above perhaps in the fall issue.

lord patchogue

#50 Post by lord patchogue » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Not a Pedro Costa on DVD news- though it would be of interest here. Costa is interviewed exclusively for Blaq out's website Dissidenz on State of the World (a compilation of shorts by Costa, Bing, Weerasethakul and Akerman.) Enjoy! Here is the link.