Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
TMDaines

Re: Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

#176 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:38 am

My recent order has been held up by Parcelforce for customs charges payment... even though I made sure it was under the £135 limit and the VAT was paid in Slovakia. The value of goods were €154.60 / 1.1567 = £133.65), so I'm wondering if the calcuation has been done wrong or they have included shipping charges incorrectly in meeting the threshold.

This is the first time this has happeneded to me from any European retailer since the UK import laws/policy changes a few years ago and I have imported dozens and dozens of parcels from the EU since.

MichaelB

#177 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 am

I always include shipping in the £135, specifically so that there's no argument that I paid less than that in total.

Nearly eight years on from the vote, I wonder when we're going to get any of these much-touted Brexit benefits?

TMDaines

#178 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:16 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 am
I always include shipping in the £135, specifically so that there's no argument that I paid less than that in total.

Nearly eight years on from the vote, I wonder when we're going to get any of these much-touted Brexit benefits?
Yeah, that makes sense, but there were a lot of titles I wanted! All those €1 DVDs I thought I might as well add, have now ended costing a lot, lot more. Hopefully I will be able to reclaim the VAT. At least no customs are due on DVDs, but I'm still looking at least another £35 in double-dipping VAT and handling fees. I'll e-mail Klapka too and flag the issue. Their customer services are generally very helpful, and there's a good chance they were oblivous to what a slightly inflated customs delcaration might mean.

In fairness, I much prefer the new system to the old one, as you can now import from the States too for less than £135 and not sweat it. It's pretty rare I have a non-Amazon order for more than £135 from the EU, and that's a generous cap when you just want to do a bit of home video shopping from abroad and need some form of self-restraint.