Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
TMDaines

Re: Slovak Cinema DVD/Blu-ray

#76 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Klapka.se is the best place to order these? And what else should I order? These was previously a line of DVDs too right?

admira

#77 Post by admira » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 am

http://www.klapka.sk/klapka/produkty/blu-ray/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admira

#78 Post by admira » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:58 am

http://www.klapka.sk/sk/produkty/blu-ra ... ilm-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#79 Post by L.A. » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:11 am

From Facebook:
Slovak Film Institute wrote:To remember Viktor Kubal and to promote Slovak film heritage, Slovak Film Institute prepares a special 3 disks edition consisting of Brigand Jurko, The Bloody Lady, and a selection of 13 maestro's short films including a mid-length The Marzipan Comedy (1987) on DVD and blu-ray. The special edition is to be issued in summer 2017.

MichaelB

#80 Post by MichaelB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am

Excellent news - I was very impressed with the SFI's presentation standards on the Blu-rays I've seen thus far - which I think is everything except Signum Laudis.

admira

#81 Post by admira » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:02 am

http://www.terry-posters.com/serie/103- ... dvd?page=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kalimagdorafan

#82 Post by kalimagdorafan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm looking for the German audio of "Die süße Zeit mit Kalimagdora", aka "Sladky cas Kalimagdory" or "The Sweet Time Of Kalimagdora".

I know there is a Slovakian DVD, but it only comes with Slovakian audio. Since the film was a Slovakian-German coproduction there is original German audio, but it's not on the disc. I assume this is because the people who released the Slovakian DVD don't hold the rights to the German audio, otherwise, why would they not include it? Now the problem is that there is no German DVD release and it seems the original German production company has long closed its doors.

I have already spoken to several film archives in Germany and I actually found one that has an archival copy on 35mm film of the movie - in German. However it's an archival copy only so they won't ever use it to publicly show the film and they also can't give me the audio, not even for private use, since they don't own the rights.

Does anyone know how I can ever get the German audio? Or even find out who owns the rights to it?

L.A.

#83 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 am

Elo Havetta’s Celebration in the Botanical Garden and Wild Lilies coming to Blu-ray.

feihong

#84 Post by feihong » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Crying tears of joy at this news. Both Havetta movies are pure gold.

petoluk

#85 Post by petoluk » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Something to pass the time until the Havetta movies are out:

Image Image

:wink:

Edit: Just in case - the covers are hyper-linked to reviews (well, let’s say tech specs accompanied by picture galleries with some sparse notes here and there :P) of the discs...
Last edited by petoluk on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#86 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 pm

I can thoroughly recommend the Barnabáš Kos release, both as a film and as a package - a particularly welcome touch being the inclusion of the original short story that inspired it, which I imagine hasn't been translated into English before.

And the film's terrific - this is what I wrote about it on a first viewing:
The Barnabáš Kos Case (Prípad Barnabáš Kos, 1964)

Barnabáš Kos (Josef Kemr) is the triangle player in a reasonably prestigious orchestra, a job so musically insignificant that his fellow percussionists can easily step into the breach should Kos not be present at the vital moment. And one of the reasons he may legitimately not be present is that because he has more spare time than his colleagues (his practice routine being slightly less demanding than that of, say, a violinist), he's the one who gets nominated as an representative of the orchestra on all sorts of official panels that are a seemingly inevitable by-product of working in communist Czechoslovakia (although it's not remotely hard to transplant this to the subsidised arts sector in the UK or indeed anywhere else). So he's popular with the orchestra because he does the boring jobs that they're not interested in, and similarly popular with the authorities because, while Kos is punctilious about attending the various meetings, he never says or does anything controversial. If you can imagine a union rep who's the polar opposite of the late Bob Crow, Barnabáš Kos would be him.

And so when the position of overall director of the orchestra unexpectedly becomes vacant, the officials think that they have a perfect candidate - and one whose installation will permit them far greater control over the day-to-day operations. Because if Kos hasn't rocked the boat even the slightest bit up to now, there's no reason to assume that he'll be any different in this job, is there?

Their major miscalculation, though, is that for the first time Kos has been given a position of real power - and he resolves to use it in order to redress what he perceives as a grievous historical wrong. This starts off subtly, by programming only pieces that already include a triangle part, but then Kos proposes adding additional triangle accompaniment to existing works. Then, in the guise of progressive thinking and challenging reactionary convention, he changes the layout of the orchestra, with the percussion section moved from the back to the front - I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this puts the triangle player slap bang in the middle. And when the time comes to commission a new work from one of the leading composers of the day, what could be more truly groundbreaking than the first ever concerto for triangle? Surely no-one would have a problem with that?

And if they do... well, Kos is the director of the orchestra, with the power to summarily fire anyone who ill-advisedly puts their career on the line by denouncing all this as megalomaniacal bollocks by a man promoted way ahead of his actual competence. And while the officials who appointed him swiftly realise that they've made a dreadful mistake, they can't do anything about it because any such admission would turn the spotlight onto their own poor judgement, thus putting their own careers and reputations at risk - so instead they double down and back him all the way, defending even his loopiest conceit (for instance, commandeering an entire steelworks to produce the perfect triangle, rejecting dozens of attempts along the way) as being symptomatic of the most laudably radical thinking of a kind that makes other orchestras seem hopelessly hidebound. But neither they nor Kos have any control over the public verdict, and sooner or later their reaction will become impossible to ignore...

Perhaps not surprisingly, The Barnabáš Kos Case took something like seven years to go into production, as the script had to run a gauntlet of Slovak film-industry officials who were convinced that the project was a personal attack on them - although in the event the finished film was remarkably uncontroversial, perhaps because its satirical targets were so universal. Let's face it, if you look at pretty much any government anywhere in the world (and at any time), or the management of any institution of any kind, you're all but certain to find a Barnabáš Kos somewhere on the roster - someone who blatantly owes their elevation to something other than merit. (The last British Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling, would appear to be a classic example.) The situation posited by the film may be absurd, but there are plenty of real-life equivalents where the changes instituted by the new boss are a fair bit subtler, but ultimately just as insidious and indeed personally self-serving.

Peter Solan is widely regarded as one of the best Slovak directors, although he's largely unknown outside Slovakia's borders (even in the Czech Republic, he rarely seems to be namechecked). Although on the evidence of this and his eye-catching concentration camp drama The Boxer and Death (Boxer a smrť, 1962), it's very much our loss: what struck me most about both those films is the sheer confidence with which Solan handles potentially tricky material - in the case of Barnabáš Kos, via a strikingly geometric approach to set design and composition, with triangles understandably well to the fore, although never in an off-puttingly self-conscious way: Solan is clearly well aware that the script and performances are more than strong enough not to need distracting window-dressing.

petoluk

#87 Post by petoluk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 am

Nice write-up, Michael! :)

L.A.

#88 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:38 am

L.A. wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 am
Elo Havetta’s Celebration in the Botanical Garden and Wild Lilies coming to Blu-ray.
Got an email from the Slovak Film Institute and the Havetta Blu-ray collection should be out this month. Besides the two feature-length films it will include three shorts Saint Jane, 34 Days of Absolute Peace and Forecast: Zero.

feihong

#89 Post by feihong » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:54 pm

This is thrilling. Thank you for the update! I am ordering these the minute they go on sale.

Both films are exceptional, and I'm very interested to see the shorts as well.

Here's a trailer for Wild Lillies. I don't think it gives too much away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

And a fun Church of Film ad for Celebration in the Botanical Garden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rWDAvc8_Y

Klapka.sk

#90 Post by Klapka.sk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:08 am

Hi guys, so, thanks for your interest about slovak cinematography. I am from Slovakia, and I am working in Klapka.sk in Slovak film institution, so if you have any questions (orders, new realeses) I will try to answer you.
And yes, in next days/weeks will be available Elo Havetta collection with bonuses on blu-ray. And also will be available on blu-ray oscar movie The Shop on Main Street.

We have recently released this stuff:

something from slovak comedy:
http://www.klapka.sk/dvd/zlaty-fond-slo ... ie-i-3-dvd

something for small kids:
http://www.klapka.sk/dvd/malovanky-spievanky

of if you like something animated:
http://www.klapka.sk/blu-ray/blu-ray-be ... ktor-kubal

but also, everything is on our page klapka.sk :)

Števo

L.A.

#91 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Dear Števo,

Thank you for the information. How about any plans for Blu-ray upgrades of The Sweet Time of Kalimagdora or for any of the titles from the Slovak Cinema of the 40's & 50’s DVD collection?

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:12 pm

I can thoroughly recommend the Viktor Kubal compilation, whose praises I sung in a recent issue of the Journal of Film Preservation.

Klapka.sk

#93 Post by Klapka.sk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 am

L.A. wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:14 pm
Dear Števo,

Thank you for the information. How about any plans for Blu-ray upgrades of The Sweet Time of Kalimagdora or for any of the titles from the Slovak Cinema of the 40's & 50’s DVD collection?
Hi, unfortunately, this movie (The Sweet Time of Kalimagdora) is not currently planned for blu-ray realese for next period. In autumn will be available DVD Na krásnom modrom Dunaji and Pacho, hybský zbojník (on blu-ray, I think). And movies from 40's & 50’s, unfortunately, I don't know anything new at the moment.

L.A.

#94 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:15 am

Klapka.sk wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 am
Hi, unfortunately, this movie (The Sweet Time of Kalimagdora) is not currently planned for blu-ray realese for next period. In autumn will be available DVD Na krásnom modrom Dunaji and Pacho, hybský zbojník (on blu-ray, I think). And movies from 40's & 50’s, unfortunately, I don't know anything new at the moment.
Looking forward to Na krásnom modrom Dunaji and Pacho, hybský zbojník. Also The Shop on Main Street is wonderful news. Again thank you and keep up the good work, great that someone from the Slovak Film Institute is here as a member. :)

MichaelB

#95 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:15 am
Also The Shop on Main Street is wonderful news.
It's out on region-free BD already, courtesy of Second Run. Is this a new restoration?

L.A.

#96 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 am

What is the soundtrack on the Second Run, Czech or Slovak?

MichaelB

#97 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 am

Slovak and Yiddish, according to the box.

Calvin

#98 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 pm

A Blu-Ray release of Eduard Grečner's Drak sa vracia would be amazing, if that's possible for the Slovak Film Institute to release. I fell in love with the film through the Second Run DVD and it would really benefit from an HD upgrade.

feihong

#99 Post by feihong » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 pm

I would love to see some kind of Juraj Jakubisko collection on blu ray. True, there are already a couple of Jakubisko films in HD, but It would be great to see Crucial Years, Build a House, Plant a Tree, The Millenial Bee, Sitting on a Branch, Enjoying Myself, or It's Better to be Wealthy and Healthy than Poor and Ill in beautiful high definition. These are such lovely films.

L.A.

#100 Post by L.A. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 am

Calvin wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 pm
A Blu-Ray release of Eduard Grečner's Drak sa vracia would be amazing, if that's possible for the Slovak Film Institute to release. I fell in love with the film through the Second Run DVD and it would really benefit from an HD upgrade.
feihong wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 pm
I would love to see some kind of Juraj Jakubisko collection on blu ray. True, there are already a couple of Jakubisko films in HD, but It would be great to see Crucial Years, Build a House, Plant a Tree, The Millenial Bee, Sitting on a Branch, Enjoying Myself, or It's Better to be Wealthy and Healthy than Poor and Ill in beautiful high definition. These are such lovely films.
Yes, these are excellent choices.