Witness

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

Witness

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:01 pm

Harrison Ford (The Fugitive) and Kelly McGillis (The Accused) star as would-be lovers from two different worlds in Witness, director Peter Weir's (Picnic at Hanging Rock) Academy Award-winning neo-noir thriller which pits modernity against tradition. When a young Amish boy inadvertently witnesses a brutal murder while en route to Philadelphia with his recently widowed mother, Rachel (McGillis), Detective John Book (Ford) is assigned to the case. With the perpetrators desperate to silence the sole witness, Ford and his two wards are forced to hide out in the heart of the Amish community. As passions between Book and Rachel ignite, the killers close in, culminating in a dramatic, life-and-death clash of cultures that while change the lives of those involved forever. Noted for its sensitive portrayal of the Amish community, Witness features a career-best performance from Ford, earning him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. Now fully restored in 4K, Witness proves as timeless as it is masterful.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original lossless 2.0 stereo audio
Optional 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Jarret Gahan
Brand new video interview with cinematographer John Seale
Brand new visual essay on the film’s performances by film journalist Staci Layne Wilson
Vintage 1985 interview in which Harrison Ford discusses Witness with critic Bobbie Wygant
Between Two Worlds – five-part archival documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with Harrison Ford, Kelly McGillis, Peter Weir, John Seale, producer Edward S. Feldman, and actors Lukas Haas, Patti LuPone and Viggo Mortensen
A Conversation with Peter Weir – archival interview with the film’s director
Two vintage EPK featurettes
Deleted scene from the network TV version of the film
Theatrical trailer
Image gallery
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tommy Pocket
Limited edition 60-page perfect bound booklet illustrated by Tommy Pocket, featuring new writing on the film by Dennis Capicik, Martyn Conterio, John Harrison and Amanda Reyes
Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tommy Pocket
Six double-sided collector’s postcards

What A Disgrace

Re: Witness

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:50 am

Delayed until November 7

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:12 pm

That said, my copy is already shipping from DiabolikDVD.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:40 pm

There's something off with Dolby Vision here. I've never seen this before, but after some cuts, you can see the levels adjust as though the timing is off by a split second. At first, I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing, but it's insanely obvious during the barn raising and its quick cuts. It's incredibly maddening. Checked other DV discs (though only sampled them) to make sure something else wasn't off (like my TV) but didn't notice the same effect. Again, I've never seen this before.

Also... I'm not crazy but they added subtitles for the German dialogue, correct? I can't find my Blu-ray but I'm positive it and my VHS never translated the dialogue.

AxeYou

#5 Post by AxeYou » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:40 am

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:40 pm
There's something off with Dolby Vision here. I've never seen this before, but after some cuts, you can see the levels adjust as though the timing is off by a split second. At first, I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing, but it's insanely obvious during the barn raising and its quick cuts. It's incredibly maddening. Checked other DV discs (though only sampled them) to make sure something else wasn't off (like my TV) but didn't notice the same effect. Again, I've never seen this before.
It's an authoring issue with the disc. Basically, the HDR10 layer and DV layer are two different video tracks, and on this disc the time codes are out of sync between the two tracks.

During playback, the player / display adjusts tone mapping on each scene cut boundary, which is defined in the DV metadata. So if that's out of sync with the actual video, you'd get flickering as tone mapping is adjusted in the middle of a scene.

Chris, I wonder if you could reach out to Arrow as a reviewer, since it's more than a minor defect and should be corrected.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=359
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=32255

cdnchris
Site Admin

#6 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:54 am

I figured it was something along those lines, but I wasn't sure and had a brief concern that something was off with my equipment, like somehow the signal was delayed for a split second. But again, it was the only title where I have ever noticed this. I'll mention it.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#7 Post by Drucker » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:48 pm

So are the reported issues on this only is related the UHD disc?

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:47 am

The glitch is specifically to do with UHD-only technology. There's no such thing as an HDR layer in the basic BD spec.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9 Post by cdnchris » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:52 am

Yeah, it's Dolby Vision-specific, so the Blu-ray isn't affected, and neither is watching the UHD back in HDR10 since the configurations are set and done.

I was told it's more than likely my television, an LG C9 (and both my player and TV are up-to-date firmware-wise), which is still rather insane to me as again I have never seen this before with any other DV title, and have also never seen it when streaming DV content.

I don't know how the DV data is encoded and ultimately sent, and I understand the equipment is ultimately responsible for how it interprets it. But it's really just metadata in the end, right? So I'm imagining XML* with timecodes for the desired configurations, and I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how one title can be off for a particular TV that's never done anything like this before. It literally looks like the timing is off by a split second.

*(I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:58 am

What's a good timecode to play through to see if I have a similar issue?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm

The barn raising montage all the way through the lunch portion is bad. Every cut adjusts. The train station portion, too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:14 pm

Roughly what are the timecodes for those scenes?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#13 Post by cdnchris » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:30 pm

At about 1:12:00 is the barn raising. Basically, just watch the sequence from there. Right off when it cuts from Ford to others when they're doing the initial lift, you can see the levels brighten or dim as it cyts back and forth. There's an edit, and for a split second, it holds the previous settings before it adjusts levels and then keeps doing that with most (not all) of the edits. It's very clear, so if you don't see it, then I guess it is a TV specific issue.

Edit: at some point today, I'm going to hook up my Sony 4K player to see if the same thing happens. Right now, i have a Panasonic 820 hooked up to the TV.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:52 pm

By what the MakeMKV forum is showing, it looks like the TV interpretation is a symptom of a sync issue with the DV metadata. So it'd be a disc issue before anything else.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:47 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm
The barn raising montage all the way through the lunch portion is bad. Every cut adjusts. The train station portion, too.
I'm not going to be able to judge this because the disc only plays HDR 10 for me and I can't figure out how to make it play in Dolby Vision

DeprongMori

#16 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 am

I missed out on the 4K UHD and only got the Blu-ray box. I have a question on the color in one scene. Late in the film when three punks in town are harassing the Amish, and John Book lays into them, Book appears to have big ugly swaths of bright pink make-up all over his cheeks and forehead. I’m not sure whether this is just bad grading on this scene or what is going on here. Other than that, color rendition throughout is great. (The same issue may have shown up briefly on a woman’s make-up earlier in the film, but I don’t recall the scene and it wasn’t nearly as visually jarring but probably the same problem.)

I’m screening the disc on a Vizio V435M 4K UHD TV. My player is an LG BP620.

Is this problem manifesting in the 4K disc as well?