Blackhat

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

Blackhat

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:08 am

Limited Edition Contents:
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of both the US and international versions of the film
  • Original lossless 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by critics Bryan Reesman and Max Evry
  • Firewall - brand new video interview with cinematographer Stuart Dryburgh
  • Zero Day Threat - brand new video interview with production designer Guy Hendrix Dyas
  • The Cyber Threat, On Location Around the World and Creating Reality - three archival behind-the-scenes featurettes on the making of the film
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Doug John Miller
  • Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Graves
  • Limited Edition slipcover featuring newly commissioned artwork by Doug John Miller

yoloswegmaster

Re: Blackhat

#2 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:14 am

I'm very excited to see this get a 4K release as it is one of my favourite Mann films but I will say that it is disappointing to not include the Director's Cut, and instead include an international cut that supposedly only has a 32 second difference because it omits references to Latino gangs. I will also echo all the comments elsewhere about how awful the cover is.

CSM126

#3 Post by CSM126 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:28 am

I’ve never seen this film, and if I saw that cover on a store shelf I’d promise myself that I never would. Is Blackhat some kind of grid-based dungeon crawler game on the ZX Spectrum? Or a weird indie comic book? Is it about a clone army of torch-wielding anime Scotsman?

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 am

CSM126 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:28 am
I’ve never seen this film, and if I saw that cover on a store shelf I’d promise myself that I never would. Is Blackhat some kind of grid-based dungeon crawler game on the ZX Spectrum? Or a weird indie comic book? Is it about a clone army of torch-wielding anime Scotsman?
In my opinion, this cover makes the film look far more interesting than it actually is. It's a terrible cover, both because it's an off-putting illustration and because it's conceptually poor bordering on false advertising. I wish the film was comprised of the kind of stimulating activity the cover promises!

yoloswegmaster

#5 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 pm

It's been confirmed by an Arrow employee that the Director's Cut won't be included due to rights issues.

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 pm

I like the film quite a bit even though it's hurt by the improbable casting of Chris Hemsworth as a hacker. It's ironic that in the one instance where Mann's new cut is better than the theatrical and people actually want to see it, rights issues prevent it from being available. I'm not enough of a fan of the film to want to own it but Arrow deserves credit for producing what looks like the best possible release under those constraints.

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:46 pm

I quite like the cover being a mix of the early 'flying through the computer shots' and the final parade that allows the protagonist to box and hem in the anatagonist at the finale.

rapta

#8 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:36 pm

Decent film, shame no DC but I will be getting this disc (though not exactly in a hurry as I already have the studio release, so this will be solely for the extras).

Hoping this is a taster for a later bells-and-whistles edition of Mann's The Last of the Mohicans from Arrow..they've been sat on the rights for a number of years now (they released a barebones disc in October 2019). I'm sure they'll get to it but it's the one title from the Morgan Creek catalogue I truly wanted to see given the whole 4K multi-cuts treatment, and we've had all the other big ones (True Romance, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Exorcist III, Nightbreed). Surely 2023 is the year for this to happen?

Calvin

#9 Post by Calvin » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:24 pm

I'm torn on this release; I've been hoping that Arrow would release this for some time now, but primarily because I couldn't imagine them not being able to include the superior director's cut. Usually it's the other way round with Michael Mann films!
rapta wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:36 pm
I'm sure they'll get to it but it's the one title from the Morgan Creek catalogue I truly wanted to see given the whole 4K multi-cuts treatment, and we've had all the other big ones (True Romance, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Exorcist III, Nightbreed). Surely 2023 is the year for this to happen?
Fingers crossed, but I think that the most likely outcome with The Last of the Mohicans is Mann's director's cut on 4K UHD and the theatrical cut on Blu-Ray from the same master that has been released in Australia. I think I remember reading that a director has to sanction a remaster under DGA rules, which is what has been preventing a release of The Keep; Kino could have released it when they had it under licence, but they would have had to make do with the old SD broadcast master as Mann isn't willing for another to be made. I don't expect to see the Thief theatrical cut on 4K UHD for the same reason.

rapta

#10 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:22 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:24 pm
I'm torn on this release; I've been hoping that Arrow would release this for some time now, but primarily because I couldn't imagine them not being able to include the superior director's cut. Usually it's the other way round with Michael Mann films!
rapta wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:36 pm
I'm sure they'll get to it but it's the one title from the Morgan Creek catalogue I truly wanted to see given the whole 4K multi-cuts treatment, and we've had all the other big ones (True Romance, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Exorcist III, Nightbreed). Surely 2023 is the year for this to happen?
Fingers crossed, but I think that the most likely outcome with The Last of the Mohicans is Mann's director's cut on 4K UHD and the theatrical cut on Blu-Ray from the same master that has been released in Australia. I think I remember reading that a director has to sanction a remaster under DGA rules, which is what has been preventing a release of The Keep; Kino could have released it when they had it under licence, but they would have had to make do with the old SD broadcast master as Mann isn't willing for another to be made. I don't expect to see the Thief theatrical cut on 4K UHD for the same reason.
I suppose they might have tried to include the DC, but were waiting and waiting and eventually told it wasn't possible, and they decided they still had to release it anyway with UHD being the main upgrade (as well as new extras they've produced). It's a compromised decision, but it might have been a now or never situation, and they decided for the former...

As for Mohicans, I agree that's probably going to be the end result but I'd still like it, and if Arrow can at least do their own cleanup work and whatnot, that'd be better than nothing (and a better upgrade of the film for UK collectors than Blackhat, at least). I suppose we'll find out later this year, I can't imagine they'd wait until 2024 to do this one.

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:23 pm

I'm just hoping the 88 Films' Miami Vice UHD offers both cuts..

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 pm

FWIW, back in 2016, BAM screened a new re-edit of Blackhat. Coincidentally, I got to meet some people who worked on Blackhat's editing through mutual acquaintances around that time - they were in town working on another movie and had no idea BAM was screening Mann's films. It was pretty amazing to see that announcement so I passed it along to them to see if they knew more about it - it was a surprise to them, though not a complete surprise. Apparently right after they handed in the finished movie and were ready to pack it up, Mann called them in and started going in detail about a whole new cut he wanted to do of the film. It really sounded crazy - like, you JUST turned in your movie and you want to make a new edit? As it's been discussed here before, he has a terrible habit of doing that - he just can't let go of a film, ever. So they all just listened, nodded in agreement, and then didn't bother to show up the next day when he apparently expected them to start work on this new edit, i.e. the film was done, they were moving on. I've never seen Blackhat, but hearing that made the notion of some better alternate cut seem dubious. I'm sure the cut labelled the "director's cut" might be better, but I just don't get the impression there's ever a definitive cut with Michael Mann.

feihong

#13 Post by feihong » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:29 pm

Well, not a popular opinion here, but the film I saw in its theatrical cut was so terrible, from concept on up, I can't really conceive of any cut of this film being that much better (and I have read about the changes in the director's cut).

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:34 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:23 pm
I'm just hoping the 88 Films' Miami Vice UHD offers both cuts..
88 confirmed on social media that their release will have both cuts but no confirmation yet whether both versions will be in 4k.

colinr0380

#15 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:41 am

I've only seen the theatrical version of Blackhat but I think the big issue with it was that there is a big nuclear power plant meltdown caused by the hacker that occurs almost immediately in the film but actually is meant to occur at about the halfway mark. So the film flashes back (without particularly noting it is doing that) to showing our main character in prison and being offered a deal to do hacking for the government, getting him out of prison and setting up his story, etc, until the big power plant meltdown occurs and we see him and his team running through the aftermath. Which because it happened at the beginning of the film feels like it took place weeks ago, and had played as if it was maybe the inciting incident to get the main character out of prison in the first place!

So I wonder if there was some hasty editing involved in the run up to the theatrical release where the power plant meltdown (along with all the 'flying through the computer' shots to show the nefarious hacker at work) was moved to the front of the film along with the Wall Street takeover moment. It seemed strange to have two sequences like that play one after the other, and maybe it was a last minute decision and there wasn't enough time to sit with it, or re-jig the film to make the power plant sequence play more plausibly, or at least suggest that the film was going back in time from that point?

Maybe that is why Mann wanted to re-cut the film so soon? But even moving things around, the whole movement of Blackhat is going from 'big events' to a really small scale intimate drama between two characters (only emphasised by the massacre of the supporting cast that occurs to push our remaining two characters out of any organisational structure, and to have to fend for themselves from then on, until getting to the final 'walking against the crowd' one on one confrontation that strangely parallels the climax of The International!). Maybe having the power plant meltdown closer to that massacre would have felt more jarring? And that's why they moved it up front? Or maybe they wanted to really start the film off with a bang?

Its a curious film indeed, but one I like quite a bit.

chrisandy007

#16 Post by chrisandy007 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:38 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 pm
FWIW, back in 2016, BAM screened a new re-edit of Blackhat. Coincidentally, I got to meet some people who worked on Blackhat's editing through mutual acquaintances around that time - they were in town working on another movie and had no idea BAM was screening Mann's films. It was pretty amazing to see that announcement so I passed it along to them to see if they knew more about it - it was a surprise to them, though not a complete surprise. Apparently right after they handed in the finished movie and were ready to pack it up, Mann called them in and started going in detail about a whole new cut he wanted to do of the film. It really sounded crazy - like, you JUST turned in your movie and you want to make a new edit? As it's been discussed here before, he has a terrible habit of doing that - he just can't let go of a film, ever. So they all just listened, nodded in agreement, and then didn't bother to show up the next day when he apparently expected them to start work on this new edit, i.e. the film was done, they were moving on. I've never seen Blackhat, but hearing that made the notion of some better alternate cut seem dubious. I'm sure the cut labelled the "director's cut" might be better, but I just don't get the impression there's ever a definitive cut with Michael Mann.
Woah this is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW pretty much everyone considers the BAM cut to be superior since it retains the film’s original structure. I wonder why he made the decision so last minute, someone said studio pressure but I have trouble believing that. I’m guessing even if they turned in the edit, it doesn’t mean he submitted it to the studio and he worked with a new editing team.

hearthesilence

#17 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:44 pm

chrisandy007 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:38 am
FWIW pretty much everyone considers the BAM cut to be superior since it retains the film’s original structure. I wonder why he made the decision so last minute, someone said studio pressure but I have trouble believing that. I’m guessing even if they turned in the edit, it doesn’t mean he submitted it to the studio and he worked with a new editing team.
I don’t know if you saw this, but here’s an interview he gave right after the BAM cut was shown:

“I thought the film would benefit from having a tangible danger at the beginning,” Mann said. “Then I looked at the film a number of months ago and I thought, ‘No, it was better to have the soy hack in front.’ “

Mann has said similar things about other films over the years where he talks about re-editing them again and again long after they’ve been finished. The point is, he ALWAYS wants to recut his films. That’s why so many of them have multiple versions that have been screened or released.

Here’s Mann in another interview about why he keeps recutting The Last of the Mohicans among other films:

"There was a speech by Chingachgook at the end, I may have felt, 'I really have to make these themes land, so I’ll speechify them.' They don’t need to be speechified, it’s implicit, so I took that out. It was never in, it used to be out in the first theatrical version of the movie, it should’ve stayed out. That’s a film that’s a successful film and I like a lot, and I’ve changed it a number of times. I don’t think there’s many, maybe one or two things I’ve taken out Collateral but that all worked. Losing the first scene in Miami Vice in the theatrical version was a mistake…"

Then of course Ali:

"You get a good idea of how much the decade between 1964 to 1974 politicized the boxer formerly known as Cassius Clay in the 2001 biopic Ali – but for the movie’s director Michael Mann, it still wasn’t good enough. So when he began prepping the movie for its Blu-ray release, the 73-year-old filmmaker decided he was going to change a few things. He’d already revisited the material and recut the movie once, for a TV version that he’s cited in interviews as being superior in terms of narrative flow. Now, however, Mann wanted to bring more of the context that had shaped Ali into the center of the proverbial ring."

And I'm sure you can find something on the numerous changes made to Manhunter or Thief (which was even given a radically new look via the color timing). It never ends.

beamish14

#18 Post by beamish14 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:47 pm

I’m just really glad that he’s never touched The Keep and has let it remain the flawed but deeply compelling work that it is.

The revisions to Manhunter are just stunningly bizarre, and they’re really an insult to what the original editor created

MongooseCmr

#19 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:55 pm

Miami Vice has the most electrifying opening second of any film I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine seeing it any other way

feihong

#20 Post by feihong » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:33 pm

MongooseCmr wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:55 pm
Miami Vice has the most electrifying opening second of any film I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine seeing it any other way
I assume you're talking the theatrical opening in the club, right? Or the "director's cut," with the bubbles rising to the surface?

MongooseCmr

#21 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:35 pm

The theatrical. I put it on while my wife was asleep and the flashing lights immediately made me have to turn it off, but I spent all night waiting to wake up and put it back on.

Finch

#22 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:44 pm

Did we ever find out who has the rights to the Blackhat director's cut and why they won't consent to it being on the Blu-ray?

yoloswegmaster

#23 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:54 am

Thankfully the slipcover has been changed to the theatrical artwork:

therewillbeblus

#24 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:58 am

Has it been changed, or is this another version? I've seen two different versions of the Naked Lunch LE too, and I don't think one is with/out a slip:
SpoilerShow
Image Image

yoloswegmaster

#25 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:02 pm

The one with the new cover is the only version that I can find on Amazon US and Canada, while the original cover is the only version on Amazon UK and the Arrow site. I'm presuming that they haven't updated the latter sites yet.

I feel bad for the person who designed the original cover but that cover was a stinker.