The Prey

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Prey

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:26 pm

It’s not human, and it’s got an axe! One of the most underrated efforts to hail from the slice-and-dice boom, The Prey at last emerges from the VHS wilderness in a brand new 2K restoration from the recently unearthed original camera negative.

Three young couples set off into the mountains for a weekend of climbing, drinking and lovemaking. But little do they know that they are stumbling into the terrain of a fearsome predator - a wild man, horrifically burned as a child many years ago in a fire which engulfed his gypsy camp and left only him alive. Now he roams the woods in search of his next human prey.

Filmed in 1979-1980 - making it a contemporary, rather than an imitator, of the likes of Friday the 13th - but not released until 1984 when it was picked up by New World Pictures, The Prey is a unique woodsy slasher gem ripe for reappraisal in this extras-packed, 40th anniversary edition!

LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTENTS

Limited to 3,000 units
Exclusive slipcover featuring original UK home video artwork
Three versions of the feature: Original US Theatrical Cut, International Cut and Composite cut!
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed mono audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ewan Cant
DISC ONE - US THEATRICAL CUT

Brand new 2K restoration of the filmmaker-approved US Theatrical Cut from the original camera negative
Brand new audio commentary with producer Summer Brown
Brand new audio commentary with Amanda Reyes and Ewan Cant
Audio Interview with director Edwin Scott Brown
Brand new on-camera interview with actress Debbie Thureson
Brand new on-camera interview with actress Lori Lethin
Brand new on-camera interview with actor Carel Struycken
Brand new on-camera interview with actor Jackson Bostwick
In Search of The Prey - Ewan Cant and actress Debbie Thureson revisit the original shooting locations in Idyllwild, California
Q&A from Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 with Lori Lethin, Carel Struycken and Jackson Bostwick
Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 Audience Reaction Track
VHS Trailer and TV Spot
Original Script (BD-ROM Content)
DISC TWO - INTERNATIONAL & COMPOSITE CUTS

Brand new 2K restoration of the International Cut featuring the infamous “gyspy flashback” footage, added at a later date by the producers without the approval of the original filmmakers
Composite Cut combining footage from both the US Theatrical and International Cuts, for the ultimate Prey fan experience!
Extended Outtakes reel - 45 mins of never-before-seen outtakes

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Prey

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:08 pm

It’s Not Human, And It’s Got An Axe is my favorite Yo La Tengo album

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Having now watched this, the film brings to mind another Yo La Tengo album title: Painful. I have seen every 80s slasher movie Arrow has released. This is the worst one. Let that sink in. I made the mistake of watching the interminable composite version, but the problems in this film would exist in any length because they are all about length: this movie is without exaggeration 90% b-roll footage and stuff you shoot "Just in case" turned into the actual narrative substance of the movie. As you might expect, that means we get a ten minute story stretched out to 104 minutes, but that time is not filled with anything of value. Instead, we get insert shots of nature, characters repeating their lines to fill time, zooms into random objects that don't need emphasis and aren't related to the narrative, and a scene wherein Jackie Coogan, putting in a half day's work, learns to love cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches in what is sincerely the most exciting scene in the film. Everyone who made this movie was apparently new to Earth, and they don't put on a good show at being human: my favorite example of this being when the remaining survivors go looking for their two missing friends and one of the actors calls out to them not "Greg! ... Gail! ... Greg!" like a normal person; they instead yell out "Greg and Gail! Greg and Gail!" This is a movie where the second most exciting thing to happen is realizing the slutty character's novelty shirt reads "Stop staring at my Tuts" with images of King Tut's bust on the bust. I wish I had watched the shorter version if just to spare myself from 25 more minutes of endlessssssss booooooooooorrrrrrreeeeeeedddddooooooom, but because it was not shorter to the tune of only being a reel long, I can confidently state that these problems would exist in any version. Actually, on second thought, the ideal length for this film would have been Negative Destroyed By Lab Before Prints Can Be Struck minutes long.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:16 am

I only had time to read the first sentence of your review, but I love that album so I just bought 10 copies of this. Thanks for the tip!