Schlock

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Schlock

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am

A LOVE STRANGER THAN KING KONG!

From writer/director John Landis, the mind behind The Blues Brothers and An American Werewolf in London, comes a love story that transcends the boundaries of nature and good taste – the one and only Schlock!

Carnage! Terror! Banana skins! The mighty prehistoric ape Schlocktropus has emerged from hiding to embark on a full-scale rampage across a quiet Southern Californian suburb. The police are baffled. The army is powerless. The body count is rising. But when Schlocktropus encounters a kindly blind woman (Eliza Garrett, National Lampoon’s Animal House) who sees beyond his grotesque visage, the homicidal simian is presented with a chance at redemption…

Shot over twelve days on a micro-budget, Schlock launched the careers of both Landis and legendary effects makeup artist Rick Baker (Videodrome). An uproarious pastiche of monster movies, packed to the gills with irreverent humour and biting satire, Schlock serves as the outrageous missing link between the creature features of yesteryear and its creators’ subsequent varied and celebrated careers.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless mono soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by writer/director John Landis and makeup artist Rick Baker
• New video interview with author and critic Kim Newman
• Birth of a Schlock, a 2017 video interview with John Landis
• Archival video interview with cinematographer Bob Collins
• 1972, 1979 and 1982 US theatrical trailers
• US radio spots
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Joe Bob Briggs

colinr0380

Re: Schlock

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:08 pm

aka Banana Monster. The trailer (which places this in the company of The Birth of A Nation and 2001: A Space Odyssey) recently turned up on one of those Trailer Trauma sets.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#3 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Wow that trailer is...wow. I guess credit should given where it's due.

Roger Ryan

#4 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 pm

I only saw this film once more than thirty years ago, but it was comparable to Kentucky Fried Movie in the success of its humor. I remember it being surprisingly well-made given its low budget/short shooting schedule, including a fairly elaborate tracking shot near the beginning.

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

knives

#6 Post by knives » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:47 am

I kind of loved this stupid film. It seems a clear antecedent to both Troma and Quentin Dupieux with its self reflexive anti-humour. I think those two have improved on Schlock by furthering its form, but at least Landis opened the door.

bearcuborg

#7 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:26 pm

I’ve never seen this, but I bet the commentary is fun. John was somehow able to get the booking of all bookings on Johnny Carson at age 21.