Creepshow 2

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Creepshow 2

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:54 pm

NEW US TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: Creepshow 2 Limited Edition Blu-ray + Standard Blu-ray

one of the greatest horror anthologies of all time.

Unleashed December 13th. North American Blu-ray pre-order link should be live soon!

WHEN THE CURTAIN GOES UP THE TERROR BEGINS

Horror titans George A. Romero and Stephen King deliver yet another fiendish selection of blood-curdling tales in Creepshow 2 – now newly remastered in 2K!

In “Old Chief Wood'nhead”, a group of young hoodlums face retribution from an unlikely source after looting a local hardware store. Meanwhile, “The Raft” sees a group of horny teens wishing they’d read the warning signs first before taking a dip in a remote lake. Finally, an uptight businesswoman finds herself with some unwanted company following a hit-and-run incident in “The Hitch-hiker”.

Whilst retaining the EC comic book flavour that made the original such a hit, Creepshow 2, this time directed by long-time Romero collaborator Michael Gornick, is a decidedly darker and grimmer affair than its predecessor and remains one of the greatest horror anthologies of all time.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
•Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
•Original stereo audio
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Creepshow 2: Pinfall – limited edition booklet featuring the never-before-seen comic adaptation of this unfilmed Creepshow 2 segment by artist Jason Mayoh
•Audio Commentary with director Michael Gornick, moderated by Perry Martin
•Nightmares in Foam Rubber – featurette with special make-up effects artists Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero
•My Friend Rick – Berger on working with make-up legend Rick Baker
•Behind-the-Scenes Footage
•Trailers and TV Spots
•Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Michael Blyth
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Mike Saputo

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
•Original stereo audio
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio Commentary with director Michael Gornick, moderated by Perry Martin
•Nightmares in Foam Rubber – featurette with special make-up effects artists Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero
•My Friend Rick – Berger on working with make-up legend Rick Baker
•Behind-the-Scenes Footage
•Trailers and TV Spots
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Mike Saputo

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Michael Blyth

colinr0380

Re: Creepshow 2

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:29 am

Strangely I've never seen this sequel film, but The Raft is one of those Stephen King short stories that once read is never forgotten! (I thought about it most recently when The Shallows came out. Just replace a black oily blob with a shark and you have the same kind of tension!)

chatterjees

#3 Post by chatterjees » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 am

I recently bought the 88 Films edition and watched it. I liked it, but it's really not great. I am definitely not going to agree with
one of the greatest horror anthologies of all time

On the other hand, I have never seen the first one, which, I always heard, is a much better film than part 2. When I am honestly feeling the urge to buy/watch the first one, the Second Sight edition is OOP. I hope somebody is going to release it soon.
This limited edition looks really loaded and I really like the packaging (definitely better than the one from 88 Films). So, I will get this edition in near future, but am definitely not in a rush. The Raft really didn't do much for me, and same goes for Old Chief Wood'nhead. I think The Hitch-hiker is the best one.

StevenJ0001

#4 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:37 pm

This looks like a great edition, and I love the packaging, but I'm not a fan of the film at all. The first one is one of the great horror film memories of my childhood, and cried out for a sequel that maintained the same "look and feel." Instead, they ditched the superb main title music theme, cut the budget, cut the number of stories from 5 to 3, and changed the bookends from an EC Comics tribute (as the whole film was, of course) to something akin to a Saturday morning cartoon. The first had buckets of charm and class, while this one just felt cheap and nasty. The first one was also a true Romero/King/Savini product, while the sequel didn't have that pedigree.
Last edited by StevenJ0001 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banasa

#5 Post by Banasa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Arrows new mission statement: worse film, but better packaging?

Emak-Bakia

#6 Post by Emak-Bakia » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 pm

I revisited this a few years ago, and I'd say it's 1/3 a good film. The Raft is a solid, sparse horror short with some creative special effects. The other two segments are completely forgettable to me. I do kind of get a kick out of Savini playing the crypt keeper in the interludes, though.

chatterjees

#7 Post by chatterjees » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Emak-Bakia wrote:I do kind of get a kick out of Savini playing the crypt keeper in the interludes, though.
I wish there were more Savini scenes in the film.

Charles

#8 Post by Charles » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am

Heads up, for anyone who ordered this:

I just learned that a friend's order (through Amazon) had been discovered to be cancelled. Checked mine, and it, too, is cancelled. These two orders were placed and confirmed on Nov. 18 and Nov. 20 respectively. No notification as to cancellation has been received.

chatterjees

#9 Post by chatterjees » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:44 pm

I just got an email notifying that my copy has been shipped.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Wed May 20, 2020 4:56 pm

I have very vague memories of the original Creepshow from back in the 80s, but I'll doubt I'll remember anything about this turd next week. So I'd better write fast.

It comprises three stories that explore their single ideas in the most perfunctory way possible, tied up in an atrocious cartoon bow.

The Wooden Indian story is the dumbest of the three, and the most perfunctory in its execution, but at least George Kennedy and Dorothy Lamour (!) provide the film's only glimpses of decent acting.

The Raft has the strongest core idea, but is too dumb to know what to do with it, and again, given that core idea, it's hard to imagine a less interesting or more predictable way of elaborating on it. Most of the fun of pitting characters against a death trap is watching them try to think their way out of it. This story has an excellent, simple death trap, but nobody's doing any thinking.

The Hitch-Hiker is in the middle in terms of concept and execution. The concept is perfectly ordinary horror movie fare and the execution is perfectly ordinary horror movie violence and gore, driven into the ground, or into a tree, or into a garage. The episode is dragged down by (at least) three really stupid additons: an irrelevant infidelity subplot, an irrelevant and unconvincing "ticking clock" anxiety element (oh no, I'm being attacked by an undead creature but even worse, I'm going to be late and my husband hates me being late!), and some of the lamest voiceover ever committed to film, which is also, naturally, completely unnecessary.

There's a fourth thing in the ugly animated framing sequence, but I can't even bring myself to call that a story. Is there another horror anthology with four "twist endings" that don't even really qualify as twist endings, even very bad ones?

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#11 Post by FigrinDan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am

zedz wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:56 pm
Is there another horror anthology with four "twist endings" that don't even really qualify as twist endings, even very bad ones?
Creepshow 3 makes Creepshow 2 look like the Citizen Kane of portmanteau film.

Reverend Drewcifer

#12 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 am

Cars 2 makes Cars 3 look like Cars 1.

M Sanderson

#13 Post by M Sanderson » Sat May 23, 2020 6:54 am

zedz wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:56 pm
I have very vague memories of the original Creepshow from back in the 80s, but I'll doubt I'll remember anything about this turd next week. So I'd better write fast.

It comprises three stories that explore their single ideas in the most perfunctory way possible, tied up in an atrocious cartoon bow.

The Wooden Indian story is the dumbest of the three, and the most perfunctory in its execution, but at least George Kennedy and Dorothy Lamour (!) provide the film's only glimpses of decent acting.

The Raft has the strongest core idea, but is too dumb to know what to do with it, and again, given that core idea, it's hard to imagine a less interesting or more predictable way of elaborating on it. Most of the fun of pitting characters against a death trap is watching them try to think their way out of it. This story has an excellent, simple death trap, but nobody's doing any thinking.

The Hitch-Hiker is in the middle in terms of concept and execution. The concept is perfectly ordinary horror movie fare and the execution is perfectly ordinary horror movie violence and gore, driven into the ground, or into a tree, or into a garage. The episode is dragged down by (at least) three really stupid additons: an irrelevant infidelity subplot, an irrelevant and unconvincing "ticking clock" anxiety element (oh no, I'm being attacked by an undead creature but even worse, I'm going to be late and my husband hates me being late!), and some of the lamest voiceover ever committed to film, which is also, naturally, completely unnecessary.

There's a fourth thing in the ugly animated framing sequence, but I can't even bring myself to call that a story. Is there another horror anthology with four "twist endings" that don't even really qualify as twist endings, even very bad ones?
I was hoping at least The Raft section would be good, but even that was inept.

There does seem to be a huge fuss about this title, for nothing.

Surely one of Arrow’s weakest ever acquisitions.

Orlac

#14 Post by Orlac » Sat May 23, 2020 7:35 am

I love The Raft segment. And the story behind the original story is a gem

https://www.tor.com/2013/09/18/the-grea ... eton-crew/
King wrote this story in 1968, and sold it to the men’s magazine, Adam, in 1969 for $250. When the check arrived it was exactly the amount he needed to pay a court fine for getting drunk and stealing traffic cones in Orono, Maine. The magazine paid on publication but it didn’t send him a copy, and he’s never been able to find one. In 1981, bored and shooting Creepshow, he rewrote the story from memory, adding more gore, and that’s the version published here.