The Blue Dahlia / The Glass Key

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Blue Dahlia / The Glass Key

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:10 am

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Selected scene commentary by Frank Krutnik, author of In a Lonely Street: Film Noir, Genre, Masculinity
Introduction to the film by Frank Krutnik
Rare 1949 half-hour radio dramatization of The Blue Dahlia by The Screen Guild Theater, starring Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd
Original theatrical trailer
Extensive gallery of vintage stills and promotional materials
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic

First pressing only: collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Adrian Wootton, CEO of Film London

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Audio commentary by Adrian Wootton, CEO of Film London
New visual essay on the film by Alastair Phillips, co-author of 100 Film Noirs
Rare 1946 half-hour radio dramatization of The Glass Key by The Screen Guild Theater, starring Alan Ladd, Marjorie Reynolds and Gene Kelly
Original theatrical trailer
Extensive gallery of vintage stills and promotional materials
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic

First pressing only: collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Kat Ellinger

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Blue Dahlia / The Glass Key

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:25 am

Now Arrow needs to put out Phantom Lady so I can ditch the Dark Crimes box!

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:54 am

It might also be worth linking here to the great Out of the Past: Investigating Film Noir podcast discussions of The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key (in which it is discussed with Miller's Crossing, which also adapts elements of The Glass Key along with other Dashiell Hammett works)

manicsounds

#4 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:33 am

FrauBlucher

#5 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Has anyone seen these blus and can give feedback?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Mine shipped via Asendia, so I'll let you know 'round Easter

Ashirg

#7 Post by Ashirg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Reeniop41

#8 Post by Reeniop41 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 am

Would really love to have both but mulling over the possibility of a Region A release. Any insight of Criterion or another Label releasing this in the US?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Well, dog my cats, my copies showed up today. I like the booklet art more than the covers. As far as a Criterion release goes, it's def possible, and one of the directors has a phantom page. I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion cooked up ther own goodies though (and would presumably throw in This Gun For Hire too)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:18 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Has anyone seen these blus and can give feedback?
I probably will watch in the next few days The Blue Dahlia but The Glass Key is pretty nice looking. It might even be sourced from an OCN.

FrauBlucher

#11 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 pm

FrauBlucher

#12 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:35 am

I watched The Blue Dahlia last night. It looked excellent. I've seen it before but not in a long time, so watching the blu was a treat. It's almost like watching it for the first time. It's a shame it gets lost in the noir cannon of great films. But two things I think have held this back. The Lake/Ladd characters, while they are attracted to each other, I sensed no passion or fire like Bogart/Bacall or Mitchum/Greer. They seemed more like just good friends.

My other point which could be tied to why the Lake/Ladd performances were reserved, and that's the director, George Marshall. I thought about how this film would be different if it was in the hands of Ray, Wilder or Hawks. Perhaps one of these directors could have gotten different performances out of Lake and Ladd. TBD, in my opinion, also suffers from the lack of atmosphere the other great noirs have. Nothing special about the mis-en-scene, which came across quite staid.

That being said I still think this is a terrific noir. You have a Chandler story with Chandler dialogue which makes up for some of the shortcomings it may have, and than there is an excellent cast rounded out by Bendix, Da Silva and Dowling. It just falls short of being in the same sentence with some of the other noirs that history looks kindly on.

rohmerin

#13 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:36 am

After reading the 3 Marlow books I had not read before... now Dahlia.

How perfect Robert Montgomery would have been as Marlowe.

How sordid The Blue Dahlia is ! And terrific. In a romantic Los Angeles, that looks even European, there are hotels and buses.
Veronica Lake was unique. I adore her image and hair. With a piece of cloth on her hair, many tears before Brigitte Bardot.
She picks up Alan Ladd, because she likes him. Like gay (car) cruising.
There's not romantic fire between them (I agree) but together they are so cool that it's impossible not to admire them.
Ladd was not so good when He fights or beats.

Dolores Dowling was terrific as femme fatale. The best golden lame gown with trousers (it's not a skirt) she wears it, not Lake, who wears a wonderful black dress with rigid and wideeee shoulders. Terrific the costumes too.
Dowling is promiscous in the film and she's not afraid about that.

Her sister is real life, Constance, was a real femme fatale. She ended with the life (and work) of the greatest writer of XX century in Italy, Cesare Pavese. I don't know why both actresses worked so few, and why there's no biopic about them. She were involved with important filmmakers in love affairs (Kazan, Wilder).

TMDaines

#14 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:47 am

My copies from the current Arrow sale both came with booklet, in case anyone was worried the first run had finished.

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 am

My copy of Blue Dahlia did not arrive with a booklet, though, so don't get too excited.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Anyone here feel compelled to step up and track all the Arrow releases going out without booklets? Lemme know and I'll sticky a thread for you

chatterjees

#17 Post by chatterjees » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday I received my order from Arrow sale (UK) and my copies of both of these two came with booklets.

Ashirg

#18 Post by Ashirg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 am

Same for me too. Want to note, Blue Dahlia was ordered when it was listed with 'low availability' status, before it disappeared and reappeared for good again a few days later.

TMDaines

#19 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:51 am

Ashirg wrote:Same for me too. Want to note, Blue Dahlia was ordered when it was listed with 'low availability' status, before it disappeared and reappeared for good again a few days later.
Yep, mine too. I ordered within hours of the sale starting.

Drawingoflamporstick

#20 Post by Drawingoflamporstick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 am

I ordered Blue Dahlia direct from amazon.co.uk a week and a half ago and got a shiny new booklet.

Telstar

#21 Post by Telstar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm thinking of ordering Blue Dahlia from the Arrow flash sale. Anyone want to lay odds on whether I'll get a booklet?

brundlefly

#22 Post by brundlefly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 am

Telstar wrote:I'm thinking of ordering Blue Dahlia from the Arrow flash sale. Anyone want to lay odds on whether I'll get a booklet?
My order from January came w/o a booklet and customer service said, "we are already in the second printing of The Blue Dahlia via our own website, so this title no longer includes the First Pressing booklet."

senseabove

#23 Post by senseabove » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 pm

I ordered The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key from Amazon in early February and got booklets for both, though the price is higher than the sale.

Telstar

#24 Post by Telstar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like copies coming directly from Arrow are pretty much guaranteed bookletless at this point.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#25 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 am

Glass Key and Blue Dahlia were on sale on Amazon UK a few weeks ago so I decided to take a chance that each would have booklets. No dice. But on the bright side what I paid for both is what I'd have paid for just one from Shout!