Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Vote For Your Next Film Club Entry!

#151 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 pm

All of my choices are small buried treasures though. Except for the ones that other people unburied before me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#152 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I voted for the Grem, which I haven't seen yet. I don't care for the Renoir or Ophuls films, wouldn't mind if the Dardenne Bros or Etaix wins since I have them already (both unseen by me)

knives

#153 Post by knives » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:25 pm

I hate the Renoir, but I voted for it because it is his most fascinating film.

movielocke

#154 Post by movielocke » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Watching Les Visiteurs du Soir, and it's extras which mention Gremillon I think, and then reading through the wonderful thread for that title has made me pretty eager to dig into the Gremillon set.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#155 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Now that gremillon is tied for lead, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for the 150k likes flash sale!

zedz

#156 Post by zedz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:I voted for the Grem, which I haven't seen yet. I don't care for the Renoir or Ophuls films, wouldn't mind if the Dardenne Bros or Etaix wins since I have them already (both unseen by me)
Crikey, we're going two for two on this film club racket! I'd love to hear more people talk about this amazing film.

Like everybody else, I agree that this is a toothsome selection, and I like the vaguely themed approach (though I also like bonkers randomness).

Shrew
The Untamed One

#157 Post by Shrew » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I voted for the Etaix this morning, because I wanted an extra reason to watch it, having yet to dig into the set. However, it seems like a lost cause, so I switched to the Gremillion, which I've seen but think is lot more interesting than Boudu.

But I'm willing to switch back to the Etaix if others rally round. My vote is for sale!

matrixschmatrix

#158 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

I'd also go for Etaix if it looked like it had a chance, but I'm excited for the Grem, too- it'll be nice to have a thorough discussion about an Eclipse release, and I've had that set without watching it for like a year now. I feel as though the Renoir (and the Ophuls) already has a reasonable amount of scholarship dedicated to it- it would be neat to crack open something largely unexplored.

Mr Sausage

#159 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I'd also go for Etaix if it looked like it had a chance
I bet there's a lot of people thinking the exact same thing.

My advice to everyone: vote right now for the one you most want to discuss no matter what its initial placement is, then change it (if you want) once a day or two has gone past and you can see what the trends are.

Mr Sausage

Re: Suggestions and General Discussion

#160 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm really pleased with our first discussion. It's given me a lot of optimism about the feasibility of this project going forward. There's been solid discussion for near two weeks. Well done, everyone, and thank you very much for your contributions. I suppose my only complaint is that I would love to see more contributions from people beyond those who can always be counted on to contribute, but it's a minor point and there's a lot of time for that change.

Discussion of Le douxieme souffle will end tomorrow morning and all the posts will be merged into its dedicated thread in the Criterion collection subforum where you're free to take it up again if you like. Our next discussion, Le ciel est à vous, will start exactly a week later.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#161 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I agree, it's been great! As some of you probably surmised from my postings, I don't have much of a background in film or literature beyond a couple freshman level classes (as such, I aspire to be sophomoric!) so it's been great to have such smart people take the time to elaborate on some of the more complicated ideas underneath the surface of the film. Thanks everyone!

movielocke

#162 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Ahh, I thought it was starting today. Oh well, I got it watched last night.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:37 pm

I actually don't understand why there's a week long interim

zedz

#164 Post by zedz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

I think the original idea was to give people who haven't seen it time to obtain and watch the film, but I don't know if that's going to be necessary in every case.

In the meantime, people should be contributing to the Documentary and 70s List threads!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#165 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

I think it makes sense to have a two week window in which to acquire, view, and mentally process each film, as some people may have to wait for it to come in the mail or whatever. If people want to have constant film club 24/7 on repeat instead of a week's break in between, then maybe the voting should be pushed up a week. Like, we start a vote RIGHT NOW for the next one.
Last edited by swo17 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#166 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:I actually don't understand why there's a week long interim
Giving people two weeks to track down and see the film. It's been just a little over a week since the last vote ended.

Going forward I think I'm just going to have the next vote the same day as discussion opens so that the two week grace period coincides with the start of the two week discussion, eliminating the interim period. Initially I decided against it since preparing for the second discussion would take focus from the ongoing one, but I'm no longer sure that matters.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#167 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Going forward I think I'm just going to have the next vote the same day as discussion opens so that the two week grace period coincides with the previous discussion, eliminating the interim period.
Only the vote would need to end on the day that discussion opens, so it would need to start 3-4 days earlier. (Didn't this last vote start on like Day 2 of discussion, leaving us with the current "one week with nothing to do" predicament?)

Mr Sausage

#168 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:Going forward I think I'm just going to have the next vote the same day as discussion opens so that the two week grace period coincides with the previous discussion, eliminating the interim period.
Only the vote would need to end on the day that discussion opens, so it would need to start 3-4 days earlier. (Didn't this last vote start on like Day 2 of discussion, leaving us with the current "one week with nothing to do" predicament?)
Whoops, I meant to say have it end the day the discussion starts.

Black Hat

#169 Post by Black Hat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Thinking about how often we're going to be doing this I'd suggest we all get the opportunity to curate selections. Make a list of people actively participating and maybe whoever is curating this round can nominate a member to curate the next.

Edit: We should also create a master list of films discussed with links to the corresponding threads for sometime lurkers and new members.

zedz

#170 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Are you sure that's a good idea? How long before some crank (probably me) comes up with a list consisting of: Tiny Furniture, Sanders of the River, Border Radio, Wild 90 and Armageddon?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#171 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Black Hat wrote:We should also create a master list of films discussed with links to the corresponding threads for sometime lurkers and new members.
There already is one.

And I believe Sausage said a while ago that he would routinely pick guest curators from among the active participants.

Mr Sausage

#172 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:03 pm

People who've directly contributed to helping this forum run (modding, running the List projects, helping me out with the Film Club) as well as the Member of the Year winner will definitely be asked to curate at least one list. I'm sure I'll also get around to asking prominent contributors to curate lists, too, although it might be a while until that happens.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#173 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:06 pm

zedz wrote:Are you sure that's a good idea? How long before some crank (probably me) comes up with a list consisting of: Tiny Furniture, Sanders of the River, Border Radio, Wild 90 and Armageddon?
I'd put together a list'o'masochism that consisted of Shoah, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Tanner '88, Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, and Brakhage's Night Music

Black Hat

#174 Post by Black Hat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I hear that but as this place has a tendency at times to button its shirt all the way up the neck I felt this would be an opportunity to loosen up a few buttons by taking something out of a moderator's control and into the hands of members.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't know how after two selections there's already claims of a mod conspiracy and threats of a people's overthrow of the Banana Republic. I think Sausage is pretty clearly laying out how any member can eventually curate: by being valuable and contributing to the board!