Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
zedz

Re: Film Club Suggestions and General Discussion

#126 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for getting this going, Sausage. I'm assuming that the discussion that ensues will be folded back into the thread for the title in the Criterion subforum once it dries up?

And can I suggest creating a thread to list what titles were covered when (or sticking such a list at the head of one of the extant threads). Assuming this becomes a grand old tradition, that's the kind of information that somebody's going to be looking for down the track (e.g. "when are you going to cover a Wes Anderson film in the Film Club?" "Well, we last covered one in August 2015, and we did three in 2014, so shut up!") And by that time swo might have been abducted by geese.

Mr Sausage

#127 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm

zedz wrote:I'm assuming that the discussion that ensues will be folded back into the thread for the title in the Criterion subforum once it dries up?
You are correct.
zedz wrote:And can I suggest creating a thread to list what titles were covered when (or sticking such a list at the head of one of the extant threads). Assuming this becomes a grand old tradition, that's the kind of information that somebody's going to be looking for down the track (e.g. "when are you going to cover a Wes Anderson film in the Film Club?" "Well, we last covered one in August 2015, and we did three in 2014, so shut up!") And by that time swo might have been abducted by geese.
Good idea. I'll make a thread with links to the first post of the discussion.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#128 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Will questions/discussion points be posted here as soon as they're submitted (so that others can have them in mind while they view the film), or not until the discussion officially starts?

Mr Sausage

Re: Suggestions and General Discussion

#129 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Posted immediately in the first post of the discussion thread.

Mr Sausage

#130 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Someone has already sent in some good questions. I've added them to my post in the discussion thread. Keep 'em coming!

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#131 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm

So how are people approaching this? I'm going to watch the film tonight (first time I'll have seen it, but I've seen a few other Melvilles) and then go through the special features and read up about it online over the next couple of days. I know the discussion is supposed to be about the film and not the features, but I'm not terribly good at expressing myself (my whole college curiculum was planned around minimizing the amount of writing I'd have to do) and I am hoping they will give me a good jumping off point. Then I'll try to collect my thoughts over the weekend and have something ready to post on Monday.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#132 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:28 pm

jindianajonz wrote:So how are people approaching this? I'm going to watch the film tonight (first time I'll have seen it, but I've seen a few other Melvilles) and then go through the special features and read up about it online over the next couple of days. I know the discussion is supposed to be about the film and not the features, but I'm not terribly good at expressing myself (my whole college curiculum was planned around minimizing the amount of writing I'd have to do) and I am hoping they will give me a good jumping off point. Then I'll try to collect my thoughts over the weekend and have something ready to post on Monday.
I'm going to watch the film once, and just try to soak it in and enjoy it without thinking too much. Then I'm hoping to read the posted questions already available, and re-watch the film with a notebook.

movielocke

#133 Post by movielocke » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Watch it, write up a response without looking at the questions, post that, then consider the questions and perhaps craft a response to them, because I don't want the questions to bias my initial reaction to the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#134 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm

I've already seen it and said my piece, so I'll prob just weigh in with responses to others-- it's a discussion, not a blog-a-thon after all!

Mr Sausage

#135 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:11 pm

I've been thinking on it, and a month seems excessive even for a test run. So I'm making the discussions two weeks. Obviously this can be extended as needed, but two weeks seems the best. We can also get through more films that way.

I'll also be starting the vote for the next film a couple days in to the discussion so that there is, at most, a week wait between discussions.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#136 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:31 pm

I think that's a good idea. Keep the momentum movin'!

matrixschmatrix

#137 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 pm

I just want to make sure that whatever happens, we have at least a week's time between announcing the next title and the discussion starting- it took about that long for my copy of Le Deuxieme Souffle to come in, and I don't want to have to vote based on what I already have.

Mr Sausage

#138 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:27 pm

You'll have two weeks from the announcement of the title to the opening of the discussion.

movielocke

#139 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 am

This is an excellent idea!

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#140 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:05 am

The discussion gets moved to the film thread after 2 weeks, right? So if anybody wants more time, nothing is stopping them from continuing the discussion.

I like this plan!

Mr Sausage

Vote For Your Next Film Club Entry!

#141 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 am

As mentioned earlier, for his continuing help swo17 will be guest curating this selection of movies. The poll will continue for three days (until this time Saturday).

As before, you are allowed to change your vote all the way up until the vote expires on Saturday. So vote strategically!

Discussion for this film will take place a week after our current discussion finishes, which should give everyone a little over two weeks to watch the film.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Vote For Your Next Film Club Entry!

#142 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am

Man, these are some great choices! I would be happy with any, though the etaix ranks a little lower than the others. I went with promesse because I haven't seen it yet, and felt like something a little more modern.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#143 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for this opportunity, Sausage! Obviously, I went all French (language) but mainly I just thought that any one of these films would make for a good, lively discussion.

And that Etaix film is a small buried treasure. I hope it wins in a five-way tie.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#144 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 pm

All of these are such great choices, and I'm happy I already own 3 of them! I'm voting for Boudu as I think it's an incredibly ferocious satire in the vein of Rules of the Game, but Le ciel est à vous was absolutely my favorite film from that Eclipse set.

Mr Sausage

#145 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Oh, come on. I'm the only one who wants to talk about Ophuls?!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#146 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Plenty of people are already talking about Ophuls--that film's thread has generated seven pages of discussion in the last two months for some reason.

knives

#147 Post by knives » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Maybe he's selling sausages?

Mr Sausage

#148 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:28 pm

swo17 wrote:Plenty of people are already talking about Ophuls--that film's thread has generated seven pages of discussion in the last two months for some reason.
Fair enough, maybe people are a bit sick of hearing about it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#149 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 pm

I was making a joke--I partly selected Le Plaisir because I thought it would be refreshing to inject that thread with something other than technical discussion. (Not that I am necessarily favoring this film over any of my other choices.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#150 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

swo17 wrote:And that Etaix film is a small buried treasure. I hope it wins in a five-way tie.
All I needed to hear - that's what got my vote. Though LQ and I still have to catch up with the last Film Club choice, which is sitting on our shelf in its Netflix envelope - damn vacation!