Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
Mr Sausage

Vote For Your First Film Club Entry!

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Via random number generator, here are five films for your consideration. Poll will run for three days until Monday the 12th. You can only vote for one film, but you have the option to change your vote whenever you want. This will allow for strategic voting and also give you a chance to win converts to your choice.

Have at it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Vote For Your First Film Club Entry!

#52 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm

La Chambre is all of eleven minutes long, not sure what lengths of discussion is possible there?

knives

#53 Post by knives » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm sure there is some discussion available though at the same time I'm sure all of it would be smarmy film school type stuff. At least we know it really is random.

Mr Sausage

#54 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Hah! Didn't even realize. Oh well. I doubt it'll win, but if it does I'll take the next highest and then give the Akerman its own thread for a week or something at the end.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#55 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 pm

I think the point of having five options is so that we're not completely beholden to the random number generator. If no one wants to discuss the 11 minute film, there are still four perfectly cromulent options to choose from. But also, maybe there are some 11 minute films (or 20 or 30 minute films) that people will want to discuss.

Full disclosure: I did the random number generating.

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Aside from the minor drawback that I don't have the Akerman box, I don't see in principle why 11-minute films can't be up for discussion.

Mr Sausage

#57 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:Aside from the minor drawback that I don't have the Akerman box, I don't see in principle why 11-minute films can't be up for discussion.
In principle they can be, but it's probably not the best option for the first go around.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: Film Club Suggestions and General Discussion

#58 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:If we'd be voting on 5 films, wouldn't we be missing the point of watching an underseen title? Or will certain titles be excluded from the random number generator? If a Bottle Rocket gets into the bunch, wouldn't it spoil the bunch?
I'd be more worried that forcing an underseen movie may limit the discussion if people don't have access to it. If it's underseen and people want to watch it, they will vote for it. Personally, I'm gonna be voting for stuff I haven't seen and maybe things I wouldn't otherwise have much of an interest in, since a discussion is a great way to get me to appreciate something I may not have otherwise.

That being said, I'd hope that people don't vote on titles that were released since the last B&N sale... To Be or Not To Be may be great, but I'm probably not gonna buy it before November.

zedz

#59 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 pm

I voted for Deuxieme souffle, because it's the one I'm most likely to contribute to a discussion of. It's a fantastic film, and it's underappreciated. I'd be dismayed if Stagecoach won, since it's a film that has already prompted a good amount of discussion on the forum. It's not as if it needs a boost.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:you have the option to change your vote whenever you want.
How does one do this? I suppose this would eliminate the need for a rematch in the event of a tie, as anyone who voted for a clear loser could just shift their vote to whichever of the frontrunners he prefers.

Matt

#61 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:31 pm

swo17 wrote:
How does one do this?
Look at the poll box. You can click on any other radio button next to a title at any time before the poll ends and click "submit vote," that will change your vote.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#62 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

My random title generator currently includes everything listed here (minus the boxsets themselves). If anyone thinks I should remove certain titles (e.g. Merchant Ivory titles, films that haven't been available in a B&N sale yet, OOP titles, etc.) let me know. I don't necessarily have a firm grasp of which OOP titles should be taken out of consideration by virtue of being widely unavailable.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#63 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Who wants to bet that the cheap used copies of these movies will soon disappear off of Amazon?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#64 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Matt wrote:
swo17 wrote:
How does one do this?
Look at the poll box. You can click on any other radio button next to a title at any time before the poll ends and click "submit vote," that will change your vote.
I don't see any radio buttons. Is that because I clicked "view results" at some point? Now all I see are the results with no way to change them.

Mr Sausage

#65 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:40 pm

You should be able to click on the empty circle beside the other choices then hit submit.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#66 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Same here, here is what my screen looks like

Matt

#67 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Oops. Try it now.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#68 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Matt wrote:Oops. Try it now.
Yep, it works now! Thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Zedz and I both voted for the same film? Is that thundering outside my window the horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Moe Dickstein

#70 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:24 pm

When I have time this weekend I can put together a list of OOP Criterions that are readily available in other editions if that would be useful.

Emak-Bakia

#71 Post by Emak-Bakia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:27 pm

zedz wrote:I'd be dismayed if Stagecoach won, since it's a film that has already prompted a good amount of discussion on the forum. It's not as if it needs a boost.
I voted for Stagecoach, largely because it's the only one of the five options that I already own. At first, I, too, thought there was probably already a lot of discussion about the film, but I was surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be much in-depth analysis on this forum. The first two pages of the thread for the Criterion release look to be mostly about what Fords people saw in school and the rest seems to be concerning mostly technical matters relating to the DVD/blu. A quick scan of the John Ford thread doesn't yield much other than some brief mentions of the film. Am I missing some other outlet of discussion? If not, I think this is a great title with which to launch the project, as there shouldn't be any shortage of people who have seen it and things to say!

Mr Sausage

#72 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Keep in mind that there are a number of ways to generate titles. We can have five little-discussed Criterions, or five Criterion horrors, or five Czech films, five silents, five movies you'd never show to your mom, ect. There are endless ways to randomly choose 5 titles; I won't just be sticking with the current option.

Next round swo17 will be picking the five as a guest curator thing as a token of my appreciation for his help. I'm sure at some point I'll let other members pick the five as well.
moe dickstein wrote:When I have time this weekend I can put together a list of OOP Criterions that are readily available in other editions if that would be useful.
That would be appreciated, actually.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#73 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Next round swo17 will be picking the five as a guest curator thing as a token of my appreciation for his help. I'm sure at some point I'll let other members pick the five as well.
Please pick One:
( ) Bottle Rocket
( ) Rushmore
( ) Royal Tenenbaums
( ) Life Aquatic
( ) Darjeeling Limited?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#74 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Emak-Bakia wrote:
zedz wrote:I'd be dismayed if Stagecoach won, since it's a film that has already prompted a good amount of discussion on the forum. It's not as if it needs a boost.
I voted for Stagecoach, largely because it's the only one of the five options that I already own. At first, I, too, thought there was probably already a lot of discussion about the film, but I was surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be much in-depth analysis on this forum. The first two pages of the thread for the Criterion release look to be mostly about what Fords people saw in school and the rest seems to be concerning mostly technical matters relating to the DVD/blu. A quick scan of the John Ford thread doesn't yield much other than some brief mentions of the film. Am I missing some other outlet of discussion? If not, I think this is a great title with which to launch the project, as there shouldn't be any shortage of people who have seen it and things to say!
I too voted for Stagecoach. It happens to be one of my all time favorite films and something I think I could really discuss at length. I've gone through every supplement on the disc, as well. It's something I felt that it's likely we could have a lively discussion about, and that might be nice as the club gets started. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:When I have time this weekend I can put together a list of OOP Criterions that are readily available in other editions if that would be useful.
This thread might give you a heard start, but it's Blu-ray only.