Yakushima

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

#27 Post by Yakushima » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Yay!!! \:D/

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#28 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:53 pm

After two of the last three seasons have been pretty disappointing (7 and 9), I didn't have a whole lot of hope that especially with the loss of Bob Einstein, there'd be a consistent level of quality to Season 10 of Curb Your Enthusiasm, although I suppose I ought to have realized that David putting it together and doing it without a whole bunch of nudging and years trickling by (there were six years between 8 and 9, and a lot of that rust was apparent) was a good omen. Could have never expected this to be one of the strongest, funniest seasons in the show's history, though.

Through four episodes (particularly the brilliantly funny and long "You're Not Going to Get Me to Say Anything Bad About Mickey"), somehow this 20 year old television show has seamlessly landed right back in the zone and the zeitgeist, without falling into any of the traps that a lot of this current era of comedy has found itself falling into, especially establishment brands like SNL and late night talk shows, which are borderline unwatchable due to our current political situation.

If you've written off jumping back in because of the mediocrity of Season 9, you should absolutely give it another try.

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:27 pm

I’ve still only seen the first one, but based off that ep alone I’ll second the praise: basically every gag landed and using our current climate and references to aid the already established personalities of the show has never clicked better (though I loved the door holding algorithm joke from last season’s first ep). Excited to keep watching whenever I stop by a friends place with HBO next

therewillbeblus

#30 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Finally catching up on the last few and I have to say, Larry’s question to Laverne Cox may be the hardest I’ve laughed at this show, and if not it’s too close to call

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:51 pm

This season is mostly more of the same, which is fine by me even if it's rarely laugh-out-loud funny. Two noteworthy inclusions: Albert Brooks (who, rather than Woody Allen, was the original "Larry David"-type, due to his more pettish shade to the Jewish neuroticism) honoring his late brother Funkhauser- I honestly wish he were in every episode as a series regular. The other is Woody Harrelson's acceptance speech imitating Phoenix's- which I admittedly liked, but is ripe for evisceration, and all the better coming from one of their own.