The New Girl

Discuss TV shows old and new.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: TV of 2011

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm

:shock: Falling back in love in 5...4...3...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 am

swo17 wrote:
:shock: Falling back in love in 5...4...3...
*opposite viewpoint alert*

I cannot imagine anything more obnoxious than that trailer. I smell a total misfire.

Professor Wagstaff

#3 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 am

Found Zooey Deschanel's New Girl pilot playing on demand. Cloyingly bad.

knives

#4 Post by knives » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:25 am

Something with Deschanel being bad? I'm shocked and appalled.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:44 am

To be fair, and believe me, I am not exactly rooting for this show, pilot episodes of comedies are almost always bad.

dx23

#6 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 pm

I've seen the commercials for The New Girl and Zoey Deschanel has gone from cute girl to annoying as hell actress. She acts the same way corky way in absolutely everything and for some reason I can't tolerate anything she is in anymore.

knives

#7 Post by knives » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm always shocked that people could ever tolerate her. Even in almost Famous I get intensely annoyed by her.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:02 am

What.

tarpilot

#9 Post by tarpilot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah, that's pretty insane. Whatever overexposure and self-awareness have done to lessen her charm in the years since, her "one day, you'll be cool" blue-eyed close-up in that movie was like a furious kick-start to my 13 year-old mind to all the beauty and happiness possible in the world

knives

#10 Post by knives » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

While I blame that line on Cameron, it never fails to make me giggle. She thinks it's so deep and says it with such conviction that I burst into a great deal of laughter. I suppose that makes that moment good though. At least enjoyable. Still don't like the performance though.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 pm

+1 to tarpilot

I didn't even know who she was when I saw Almost Famous in theaters, but I can close my eyes and see those eyes and her hands on my shoulders-by-proxy and remember how much that moment moved me at the time. Do you have an older sister, knives? That might make a difference in your reaction to it.

knives

#12 Post by knives » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm the oldest in my family.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Bingo.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#14 Post by Brian C » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm the oldest in my family, too, but thought that line was pretty awesome. I wouldn't let knives off the hook that easily!

Though on the other hand, I find I've mostly gotten over her. If I were really cruel, I'd say that she already feels like a relic of the bygone Aughts. The world's changed and she's still the same...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:01 pm

She's the first person I've seen in person who validated completely for me the whole "the camera adds ten pounds" thing. She looks like she has a relatively normal, not too thin but not too large, female body in films and teevee - and in person (front row at a She & Him concert) she is thin as a rail (nice backside notwithstanding). Rather startling. I think she seems like a nice person though, and that one of the downsides of people adoring you is a rather inexplicable level of bile and backlash.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#16 Post by Brian C » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Eh, I'm not really into bile and backlash in her case ... I just think that her appeal to me was a result of a time and place that I'm not really in anymore. Her appeal has always been superficial to some degree, to the extent that she's been pigeonholed (whether willingly or unwillingly) as characters that are elusive and ethereal and, frankly, a bit flighty.

Perhaps I'm just finding right now that opposite qualities are more appealing. Thoughtful, sensitive, grounded ... seems more of the times than the escapist Aughts.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Call it a total eclipse of the honeys: Zooey doppleganger Lizzy Caplan to join the cast of New Girl, a show which has proven mildly watchable despite its insistence on being a terrible show.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

The New Girl

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't want to be the one to admit this, but here goes: The New Girl is a really good show.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: TV of 2012

#19 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:51 pm

I gave it a shot since it had that one guy from Veronica Mars and that other guy from Ceremony but I found the episode I watched to be laugh-free and it hasn't been high on my return engagement list

Murdoch

#20 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I don't want to be the one to admit this, but here goes: The New Girl is a really good show.
Despite the awkward start and replacement of Wayans, the show has a great ensemble and found its groove early on. The writers sure can write a great one-liner (e.g. "I don't dance, I'm from the town in Footloose.)
Last edited by Murdoch on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#21 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

I've endured the entire series so far, mostly to have something to watch with my wife. It had a good run for a few episodes where I thought it might come into its own, but I'm mostly tired of it at this point. One incredibly annoying thing is that they started putting instant punchline hashtags up on the screen (like a Russian immigrant would "hilariously" mispronounce Mickey Mouse as "McMouse" and the moment she would say this, #McMouse would pop up on the screen, presumably so you can immediately go on Twitter and tell all of your friends that it's finally time to schedule your mass suicide pact). Jake Johnson (from Ceremony) is generally very good in it, and it's not without its moments (for instance, a bizarre one-second cameo by David Wain in one episode) but I think the show could be a lot better if it tried.

Also, if sex did not exist, the entire series of this show would be only five minutes long. So there's that I guess.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm

I wonder if the hashtag thing is on Fox trying to drum up Twitter trending, not the producers? I only speculate because Fox pushes title-related hashtags during the initial broadcasts of Fringe as well (though there's rarely punchlines to spoil there!)

LQ

#23 Post by LQ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:43 pm

swo17 wrote:It had a good run for a few episodes where I thought it might come into its own, but I'm mostly tired of it at this point.
Due to my steadfast love for Zooey Deschanel I checked it out, and as the season wore on the cast seemed to cohere better and work up considerable chemistry... but I found myself drifting away from the show in the last few episodes. I don't think I ever even finished the finale. What were lightly screwballish romantic plotlines midseason became fraught with more anxiety than they deserved, and the characters' decisions regarding their entanglements became more or less arbitrary, it seemed. And yes, it did become almost oppressively oversaturated with sex - that one episode near the end with the interminable string of broken-dick jokes was especially grating.

Still, some great, funny episodes in the midsection. And plenty of adorable Zooey which, contrary to popular backlash, is never a bad thing.

Murdoch

#24 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:31 pm

swo17 wrote:One incredibly annoying thing is that they started putting instant punchline hashtags up on the screen (like a Russian immigrant would "hilariously" mispronounce Mickey Mouse as "McMouse" and the moment she would say this, #McMouse would pop up on the screen, presumably so you can immediately go on Twitter and tell all of your friends that it's finally time to schedule your mass suicide pact)..
Ah, the benefits of watching on Hulu - no hashtags. Say what you will, but I found the part where the model pointed to a picture of herself in a magazine and proudly exclaimed "that's me!" one of the funnier moments of the show.

Despite the sex-centric jokes that occurred around the whole broken penis plotline, I still found myself laughing at this show more often than a lot of the other network comedies (with the exceptions of Happy Endings and P&R). The storylines are nothing special, and Dermot Mulroney's guest star appearance was pretty lame, but stuff like Schmidt's rant about the models posing on a missile and Nick's general self-loathing keep me tuning in.

Andre Jurieu

#25 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm

swo17 wrote:One incredibly annoying thing is that they started putting instant punchline hashtags up on the screen (like a Russian immigrant would "hilariously" mispronounce Mickey Mouse as "McMouse" and the moment she would say this, #McMouse would pop up on the screen, presumably so you can immediately go on Twitter and tell all of your friends that it's finally time to schedule your mass suicide pact)..
I just assumed that was one of FOX's many lame marketing decisions. I think their awful choices for lines to hashtag are actually more annoying than the fact that they're promoting hashtags in general.
Murdoch wrote:Say what you will, but I found the part where the model pointed to a picture of herself in a magazine and proudly exclaimed "that's me!" one of the funnier moments of the show.
I've struggled to come to terms with the fact that I laughed at a lot of her material. It felt like lame comedy, but I couldn't help but laugh at her excitement over the "Jew in couch!"
Murdoch wrote:... and Dermot Mulroney's guest star appearance was pretty lame...
He was more tolerable than I initially thought he would be. I thought his guest appearance worked quite well since Russell's lazy attitude served as a pretty strong contrast to Jess's odd personality. Though I wouldn't mind Mulroney and Tripplehorn appearing as the older married couple/supporting characters in some lame movie released between February and April, part of me actually wanted Russell and Jess to remain a couple a little while longer rather than the show moving forward with pairing her with Nick, but maybe that was just to see the entire cast square off in another round of True American (which will likely be the most memorable part of this show a decade from now).