Prime Suspect (US)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Prime Suspect (US)

#1 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm

It's too bad Prime Suspect (US) has basically been cancelled as it could have been heir to the post-Homicide, post-Law and Order crime procedural throne. The show had a fantastic ensemble whose chemistry came fairly quickly, and the nonchalant attitude of the cops to the everyday criminal world came as close as any other show to nailing the way detectives actually behave on the job. I really hope Brian O'Byrne gets more TV work, the guy's just amazing.

Andre Jurieu

Re: TV of 2012

#2 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Murdoch wrote:It's too bad Prime Suspect (US) has basically been cancelled as it could have been heir to the post-Homicide, post-Law and Order crime procedural throne. The show had a fantastic ensemble whose chemistry came fairly quickly, and the nonchalant attitude of the cops to the everyday criminal world came as close as any other show to nailing the way detectives actually behave on the job. I really hope Brian O'Byrne gets more TV work, the guy's just amazing.
I really do think that the remake failed to find an audience because of that ridiculous fedora that Bello wore for the initial ads.

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:42 pm

The pilot got everything off on the wrong foot, too. All of that "O-ho, a woman detective! She must have slept her way into the position," business 20 years after the UK series and 12 years worth of Mariska Hargitay on L&O: SVU and her many kin. Not to say that sort of sexism doesn't still happen (though maybe not always so blatantly) in the real world, but it's not something to build a cop show around in 2011-2012. And replacing Tennison's serious battle with alcoholism with Timoney's trying to quit smoking was pretty silly. By the third episode, though, the cast was really working well together and most of the silliness had been stripped away. I was a little ticked when they replaced the great, blunt white-on-black title card with a title sequence straight off the Adobe AfterEffects assembly line.

I did not realize that NBC burned off the last two episodes this past Sunday.

Murdoch

#4 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 pm

re: Prime Suspect

Outside of the cast's chemistry I think the show's greatest attribute was its laid back approach to the crimes without drifting into absurdist comedy territory like Psych - the best instance of this was Bello and a coroner fawning over a dead woman's engagement ring while the corpse lies a few feet away.

The show did well to balance the humor with the more unsavory aspects of the profession, and I think it could have become a rather somber meditation on the profession if it had been given some more time to flesh itself out. It showed a glimpse of this in a scene late in the series where one of the detectives allows a cop "a minute" with a suspect who just confessed to rape, and the show cuts away never to mention the exchange again. The scene showed an awareness of the complacency of the profession in this type of behavior that goes often unmentioned in many other procedurals, or otherwise is given a wagging finger approach, without being heavy-handed in its display.

The show certainly had its flaws, my biggest problem was Bello's relationship with her boyfriend, but overall I'm going to miss watching it.