Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Dylan

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1751 Post by Dylan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm looking for a recommendation that maybe somebody here is able to provide. I have a MacBook Air, which by design doesn't have a dvd/blu-ray drive. I was curious if anybody here could recommend a solid external DVD/blu-ray drive for playing discs on a Macbook? A cursory search on Amazon yields so many different choices for such a device, most of which are sold by other companies & fulfilled by Amazon (and many of these strike me as potentially sketchy). I'd like to get one, but I'm a bit lost as far what to choose. If anybody can recommend some particularly good/reliable external dvd/blu-ray drives I would greatly appreciate it (and they don't have to be sold on Amazon, of course - that's just one place I looked).

The Pachyderminator

#1752 Post by The Pachyderminator » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 pm

To play BDs on a computer, you'll need the right hardware (the disc drive itself) and the right software (to read and decrypt the disc). I don't have a Mac, but Pioneer makes good external USB BD drives. I've had this model (claimed to be "Perfect for Mac users"!) for a couple years and it's worked well.

If you're planning to rip discs as opposed to just play them, you'll want to download the drive utility from the manufacturer's website and turn off the default "Quiet Mode". Also, you'll need to source the necessary software elsewhere. It might be possible to find an external blu-ray drive that comes packaged with Mac software, but honestly, on the software end, if you're willing to go a little bit sketchy (e.g. MakeMKV, or VLC + a separately downloaded decryption library) you'll get vastly superior results. Most commercial BD software won't even allow screenshots.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1753 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 pm

I found this free player that seems to work (and allow screen shots too):

https://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/

(It has a few mildly annoying quirks -- but the price is right)

fdm

#1754 Post by fdm » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Both VLC (free) and MacGo's Blu-ray Player Pro software (note the Pro part; not free but there is demo mode to try it out) seem to allow for blu-ray playback as if actually playing from a regular blu-ray player (i.e., menus and everything work), last I played around with them. However, I rarely do, so grain of salt on 100% success rate of a particular blu-ray actually working... and region locking may or may not be an issue.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1755 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Do you have to install anything extra for VLC? Last time I tried it on BluRays I had no luck.

fdm

#1756 Post by fdm » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Okay, I take that back, VLC does not seem to play a blu-ray proper with its from scratch install, which is what I had. What I was recalling is that it does play blu-rays that have been backed up to .iso files.

A bit of googling indicates that you need two missing files. They are fairly easy to find and install by hand and one of them probably needs to be kept pretty current to play the latest blu-rays. Anyway I did that and now VLC plays my blu-rays too.

TMDaines

#1757 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 am

I never had luck getting VLC to work without a decrypter. I personally paid for a lifetime licence for DVDFab Passkey (for DVD & Blu-ray) and it is used daily as my main Blu-ray player is my HTPC.

The worst discs are those that use all the latest Sony DADC protection (such as Indicators) which take more than several minutes to decrypt because they have hundreds of fake playlists. Very frustrating to pay for a disc and you'd get a far superior experience just pirating it in full quality in minutes.

Dylan

#1758 Post by Dylan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 pm

The Pachyderminator wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 pm
To play BDs on a computer, you'll need the right hardware (the disc drive itself) and the right software (to read and decrypt the disc). I don't have a Mac, but Pioneer makes good external USB BD drives. I've had this model (claimed to be "Perfect for Mac users"!) for a couple years and it's worked well.

If you're planning to rip discs as opposed to just play them, you'll want to download the drive utility from the manufacturer's website and turn off the default "Quiet Mode". Also, you'll need to source the necessary software elsewhere. It might be possible to find an external blu-ray drive that comes packaged with Mac software, but honestly, on the software end, if you're willing to go a little bit sketchy (e.g. MakeMKV, or VLC + a separately downloaded decryption library) you'll get vastly superior results. Most commercial BD software won't even allow screenshots.
Thank you so much for this recommendation and the information. Unfortunately, this particular model is on "back order" on most sites and those who are selling it have increased the price from $90 to $140+ (the latter also being the price of another, seemingly comparable Pioneer model). And yes, my main objective is be able to plays DVDs, blu-rays, and CDs on a laptop while I don't have access to a home entertainment set-up. I had no clue it would be such a journey to zero in on an external USB BD drive. So far the Pioneer models look good, though $140+ feels pretty steep... but that might be what it's going to take.

I'm definitely looking for more recommendations if there's anybody else here who has experience with this.

And regarding the other posts, I really appreciate the discussion of the software needed to play blu-rays on a computer. I'll be crossing that bridge as soon as I purchase one of the external drives...

iguacel

#1759 Post by iguacel » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I made this small tool to visualize the aspect ratio of all the numbered releases, excluding anthologies and box-sets, of the main collection. I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I wanted to share it:

https://iguacel.github.io/iguacel/#/exp/14

jedgeco

#1760 Post by jedgeco » Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am

Dylan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 pm
Unfortunately, this particular model is on "back order" on most sites and those who are selling it have increased the price from $90 to $140+ (the latter also being the price of another, seemingly comparable Pioneer model). And yes, my main objective is be able to plays DVDs, blu-rays, and CDs on a laptop while I don't have access to a home entertainment set-up. I had no clue it would be such a journey to zero in on an external USB BD drive. So far the Pioneer models look good, though $140+ feels pretty steep... but that might be what it's going to take.
It's not the most elegant or aesthetically pleasing solution, but you can get a cheap internal drive and hook it up to a laptop's USB using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V ... UTF8&psc=1

Obviously you're not going to take this on an airplane, but as others have pointed out, playing directly from a disc is cumbersome and ripping the file to the hard drive is a much better option.

The Pachyderminator

#1761 Post by The Pachyderminator » Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am
Obviously you're not going to take this on an airplane, but as others have pointed out, playing directly from a disc is cumbersome and ripping the file to the hard drive is a much better option.
Provided you have 40-60 minutes and up to 50 GB to spare per disc. Even in this age of cheap hard drives, storage costs become a factor if you want to rip a sizable collection.

knives

#1762 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 3:14 pm

I suppose this is the right place to ask, but my bluray player is ready to be replaced. For those more tech aware what's a good and affordable choice that's out there?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1763 Post by Drucker » Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

If you're looking for something basic, David Mackenzie always seemed to indicate that you could safely get a Panasonic and that it shouldn't have undefeatable noise reduction. Can't recommend a specific model, unfortunately.

knives

#1764 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Yeah, just basic for. I might want to future with UHD if can play PAL.

knives

#1765 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Also would appreciate it having 3D capabilities for Godard.

The Pachyderminator

#1766 Post by The Pachyderminator » Sun May 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Do they even make 3D-capable TVs anymore?

fdm

#1767 Post by fdm » Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

Projectors usually still have 3D playback capabilities.

For PAL you may want to look at region free players.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1768 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 pm

My Sony all-region player (BDP something) has been very dependable for years and years, and only cost around 200$.

knives

#1769 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks all. Decided on a Panasonic per the above rec with some winnowing from some tech sites.

DeprongMori

#1770 Post by DeprongMori » Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am

Looking for a solution to this one: My Region B BFI “El Sur” will not play on my LG player booted into Region B. It reports that the disc is not compatible with the Region of the player. (This is my first time playing this disc.)

All other Region B discs tested have worked fine. When this occurred once before with a different disc, the problem was solved by unplugging the player to purge the timeline that kept the disc restarting on the error. This solution is not successful here, no matter how many tries or how long the power-down.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Ended up doing a factory reset in the player’s “Settings”, which cleared the problem. Surprised it took more than a simple power-down-and-wait.
Last edited by DeprongMori on Mon May 18, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdm

#1771 Post by fdm » Mon May 18, 2020 1:49 pm

If your player has a resume playback type of feature enabled, try turning that off. Also if it has such a capability, try purging its memory.

Minkin

#1772 Post by Minkin » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 pm
I found this free player that seems to work (and allow screen shots too):

https://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/

(It has a few mildly annoying quirks -- but the price is right)
I used to have a torrented copy of PowerDVD on my old laptop, but I can't move it over to my new computer. So, I'm now in the market for Blu-ray playback software. I do have an external blu-ray drive.

I'm wondering if anybody else has tried using Leawo? I can't really find any reviews of it online, which raises quite a few red flags. You'd think the only working free blu-ray playback software would at least merit a techcrunch article. Otherwise I'm going to try and trackdown a discounted version of PowerDVD.

And the VLC blu-ray work-around didn't work for me.

DeprongMori

#1773 Post by DeprongMori » Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 pm

The Leawo player software isn’t region-free, and I don’t generally play Blu-rays on my computer, but it has been working great when I need to do so. And it being free, the price is right.

fdm

#1774 Post by fdm » Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Regarding VLC (on a Mac), after a little bit of troubleshooting, it just seems to be really limited about which blu-rays will actually play with it. I did find one after a few misfires, the Twilight Time Miss Sadie Thompson. (I can't recall what the others were that I did get to work last month when I first got VLC to play actual blu-rays. I apparently lucked out as whatever it/they were, it/they all worked fine). Some of the others seem to want to work, but they never finish starting up (Manhattan, Uncut Gems) and actually play; others just error out. Doesn't really seem worth bothering with.

Pretty much every blu-ray I tried with MacGo's Blu-ray Player and/or Blu-ray Player Pro seemed to work though. The Pro version however seems to pay attention to Region setting, and seems to be limited to 5 changes... but the basic version doesn't seem to mind (even Satantango plays). The Pro version mimics playing the actual disc like if you played it on a blu-ray player; the regular version you can just have it play the movie or blindly pick other content one at a time by chapter. (VLC was a bit better than Pro as you could actually click on the playback screen to pick from the menus, while with Pro you need to use a pop-up that behaves like a remote to control the disc playback.)

TMDaines

#1775 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 26, 2020 5:58 am

VLC works well with DVDFab Passkey. I tend to use PotPlayer, with no menu support, but when I want menus, I use VLC.