The Economics of Extras

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: 1206 Eric Rohmer's Tales of the Four Seasons

#26 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:36 pm
Even here, a forum where most of us crave and value commentaries and other in-depth extras, there is not a lot of discussion about them.
Heck. Lots of time there is almost no discussion of the substance of movies AFTER their long-awaited release on {insert latest and greatest format}. ;-)

Maltic

#27 Post by Maltic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:06 am

I'm sure most of us have even more unwatched films than un-listened-to commentaries in our collections.

Btw, I find "reviewing" a commentary can take as much effort as reviewing a film. How to synthesize a 90 or 120 minutes talk... and of course you were watching and thinking about a movie while listening.

Maltic

#28 Post by Maltic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am

I've made a habit of buying whatever release MichaelB is on, even though I've yet to actually listen to any of his commentaries on Polish films. But I'm likely to catch the Polish cinema bug at some point in the future, and when I do, I'll be ready.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:10 pm
It’s funny that you mentioned the War of the Worlds commentary because I feel like that was the best extra on the release outside of the Szulkin interview on the booklet. I will admit that I wasn’t fond of that film on first viewing but you put so much info into that commentary, especially around it’s background that, like the Blind Chance reviewer, my appreciation for the film grew. Also wanna shout out Samm Deighan who’s also on the disc, her commentaries are always informative, never boring and you can tell she’s passionate about all the films she discusses.
Well, that was wholly unexpected and very very welcome - huge thanks for that! Not least because it's doubled my feedback on that commentary by 100%.

And that's very much the reaction I'm after, so I'm even more grateful.

TechnicolorAcid

#30 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 pm
Well, that was wholly unexpected and very very welcome - huge thanks for that! Not least because it's doubled my feedback on that commentary by 100%.

And that's very much the reaction I'm after, so I'm even more grateful.
No problem, recently got 90 In the Shade so excited to dig into your commentary. Keep up the excellent work.