Classic Albums

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
flyonthewall2983

Classic Albums

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Is anyone a fan of this series? I have a few of the DVDs myself and am interested in quite a few that are being released this year, including the two Rush releases and the one covering Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedoes.

Fiery Angel

Re: Classic Albums

#2 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Is anyone a fan of this series? I have a few of the DVDs myself and am interested in quite a few that are being released this year, including the two Rush releases and the one covering Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedoes.
Which Rush are coming, 2112 and Moving Pictures? (I'd prefer Signals and Power Windows.)

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Actually yeah it is 2112 and Moving Pictures. In case anyone isn't familiar with the series, Here is the complete list of episodes so far, including everything currently on DVD and stuff coming soon.

richast2

#4 Post by richast2 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm

The Zappa, Who, and Pink Floyd episodes are excellent. I was less impressed by the Hendrix and John Lennon ones.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

There's an extended version of the Electric Ladyland episode I'd really like to see. They aired the Rush ep last night on VH1 Classic, and was a little disappointed they crammed two albums into one hour of discussion, but I'll reserve a more concrete judgment until I see the DVD.

Tom Hagen

#6 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 am

Along the lines of this series, the "Wings for Wheels" doc on the 30th anniversary box set of Springsteen's Born to Run is outstanding. Apart from all of the excellent interviews, the doc breaks down the recording process, particularly for the title track. Its essentially record mixing 101; really, really interesting stuff.

fdm

#7 Post by fdm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 am

I've only checked one out, but thought it was pretty good: Grateful Dead: Anthem To Beauty. It's been years, but recall it having really good sound, and particularly liked when they dissected the various instrument tracks. Are they all like that?

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Yeah. That was one of the pleasant things about the one for Dark Side Of The Moon is that you hear isolated stuff you've only ever associated with the whole song.

Cash Flagg

#9 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm

The Steely Dan one for Aja has a hilarious sequence in which Becker and Fagan play back all of the rejected guitar solos from "Peg", each one by a different unidentified session musician, dryly mocking all of them in turn.

Roger Ryan

#10 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

I found it a revelation when producer Chris Thomas pointed out that "Anarchy In The U.K." on the Sex Pistols' NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS album featured about six overdubs of guitar to achieve what history remembers as something banged out in one take in a garage somewhere.

Yojimbo

#11 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:The Steely Dan one for Aja has a hilarious sequence in which Becker and Fagan play back all of the rejected guitar solos from "Peg", each one by a different unidentified session musician, dryly mocking all of them in turn.
I'd love to see this one; I've been a Dan fan from the get-go; even have singles of 'Reeling in the Years' and 'Do It Again'
Timeless, classic music, - pop, rock, jazz, bossa-nova?
Whatever you're having yourself, missus!

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 am

Several episodes of the series are currently streaming on Netflix, including the Steely Dan episode. The part where Donald Fagen busts out into "Deja Vu" when "Black Cow" starts up is hilarious.

Yojimbo

#13 Post by Yojimbo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Several episodes of the series are currently streaming on Netflix, including the Steely Dan episode. The part where Donald Fagen busts out into "Deja Vu" when "Black Cow" starts up is hilarious.
Thanks; I've since bought the Dan DVD, after initially getting to see it on a VHS recording

hearthesilence

#14 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 am

The one on the Band's second album is also highly recommended. So sad that every lead voice in that band will be gone soon.

Yojimbo

#15 Post by Yojimbo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 am

hearthesilence wrote:The one on the Band's second album is also highly recommended. So sad that every lead voice in that band will be gone soon.
I think I might have that on VHS; though if there are good extras on the DVD I might buy it, as that album is one of my all-time Top 10 albums
Is Robbie Robertson seriously ill?

hearthesilence

#16 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm

HA! Seriously though, I think Robbie's sung lead on only a few tunes, and to the best of my knowledge, none of them have an exalted place in the Band's catalog. (The best of them is probably "Bessie Smith," which was snuck on to The Basement Tapes.)

flyonthewall2983

#17 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

The Grateful Dead one is good, too. Mostly because the bulk of the interviews were done not that long after Jerry Garcia's death, so the tenor of the story took a different tone if you consider that great loss they were still fairly in the initial stages of experiencing.

It appears that the next episode in the series covers Peter Gabriel's So, which you can find on YouTube now as it already aired in the UK last month.

peerpee
not perpee

#18 Post by peerpee » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 am

I find a lot of these are giant puff pieces, with editorial control by the performer. The Peter Gabriel one was like one long advert for him, and at the end after all the credits, it said "© Peter Gabriel". Clearly, participation is now at the expense of control.

flyonthewall2983

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 am

I don't mind that, really. It's really always been told from the artist's perspective, so it's probably natural that it would end up that way. I think it'd only be a problem if they lowered their standards of who to choose for these projects.

Yojimbo

#20 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 am

peerpee wrote:I find a lot of these are giant puff pieces, with editorial control by the performer. The Peter Gabriel one was like one long advert for him, and at the end after all the credits, it said "© Peter Gabriel". Clearly, participation is now at the expense of control.
A fan never cares about such 'minor details'

flyonthewall2983

#21 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Here is the episode covering The Band's self-titled album, mentioned earlier.

manicsounds

#22 Post by manicsounds » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 am

Primal Scream's "Screamadelica" episode is on the Screamadelica 20th Anniversary concert BD/DVD. Great episode, and really funny to see the embarrassing early 90's clips in there.

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Most if not all the episodes including more recent ones are available streaming on Qello, a pretty awesome service for a decent price.

flyonthewall2983

#24 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:05 am

Watched Anthem to Beauty last night. I'm not the biggest Dead fan at all, in fact it took me a long time to come around on them. One of the things that turned me around was watching that again, specifically this moment of Phil Lesh talking about "Box of Rain". Throughout the piece you can tell that the surviving members and some of those closest to them were a bit more emotionally raw as it was filmed not long after Jerry Garcia's death. You see it most in that clip, and it really made me love that song even more.

flyonthewall2983

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

The one on Phil Collins' Face Value album is probably one of my favorites. Say what you will about the undoubtedly (even to a fan such as myself) ubiquitous force of nature he was in the 80's, and even after reading his book I put into question some of the things he did that could be seen as airing too much of one's own dirty laundry, but at least for that period I can appreciate the genuine honesty and nerve he applied into making that record. It's not a straight pop, rock or R&B album, perhaps in the way some of his later work would be a combination of the three, but something reflecting musically what he called a "life in motion".