Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Noiradelic

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#251 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:18 am

Back in February, I noticed A Place in the Sun was available for pre-order at Walmart. Late last month, I started noticing that some Paramount titles had seemingly slipped back into print. Amazon had the Stalag 17 SE listed as a pre-order.

In addition to others mentioned, the old Harold and Maude DVD is apparently back in print, and most peculiarly, the oldest of the 3 Paramount SD editions of Chinatown seems to be back -- why wouldn't they at least use the Centennial transfer? I don't know for sure they didn't, but Amazon lists the 1999 version.

Of the titles they have, Deep Discount usually has the best prices -- Nashville, Hud and Serpico are under $5.40 right now.

Michael's lists the Sunset Boulevard Centennial edition as back in print, and Amazon's selling it directly for $9.

Also add to the list: Serpico, Death Wish.

B&N has copies of Rosemary's Baby for $8 -- it's still going for for $26 on Amazon Marketplace.

CSM126

#252 Post by CSM126 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 am

Back in stock doesn't necessarily equal back in print.

Noiradelic

#253 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Short of confirmation from Paramount, isn't Michael's Movie Mayhem and being in stock at B&N, Deep Discount etc. the standard we here use to judge whether a disc's in print? Also I was careful to use words like "seems" and "apparently."

The Paramount Rosemary's Baby def is not in print. Not positive Sunset Blvd is. But others for sale at B&N and DD appear to be, though I suppose it's possible it's just a buttload of old stock Paramount had sitting in a warehouse somewhere. This uncertainty is why I noted when something was available for pre-order.

Gregory

#254 Post by Gregory » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm

CSM126 wrote:Back in stock doesn't necessarily equal back in print.
I ordered a new copy of Real Life from Import-CDs recently and received a Canadian DVD, which makes me wonder if a lot of the "back in stock" Paramount discs are Canadian releases that have started circulating more here south of the border, possibly closeouts like a lot of the Canadian Warner box sets that have been going for very low prices at various U.S. outlets in the past year or so.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#255 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah, I've ended up with Canadian (or Australian) releases a few times, without the seller ever disclosing this information in the listing.

Noiradelic

#256 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:57 am

Michael's Movie Mayhem may be a little too liberal in what they're listing as back in print in regards to the Paramount catalogue right now, but at least a dozen of the previously OOP titles are available from DD, B&N and Amazon directly. I bought Place in the Sun and it was the US edition. Also, B&N in particular seems to have some new copies of titles that are still OOP like Rosemary's Baby.

duck duck

#257 Post by duck duck » Wed May 02, 2012 2:49 am

Just a question, not a fight: Have any of you who have listed Coppola's Gatsby actually read the book?
I'll let it die now but I would like answers. Thanks....

matrixschmatrix

#258 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 am

Haha, what? Who listed it as an OOP movie?

duck duck

#259 Post by duck duck » Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 am

I didn't! I just thought what Coppola and side kicks did to it was "not good", I asked based off people's lists of I want this from Paramount.....

McCrutchy

#260 Post by McCrutchy » Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 am

I recently picked up Paramount's OOP DVD of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, and I thought it would be worth posting here because it contains a documentary extra: Clive Barker: The Art of Horror (1992) (IMDb). I bought the disc because the film is a guilty pleasure, and I was expecting this to be a fluff promo piece for the feature, but the documentary is actually quite interesting (and has nothing to do with the film, only referencing the first two entries in the Hellraiser series). It offers a time capsule of a young, in-demand Clive Barker, a man full of energy and untapped potential, whose comics and writings were edgy, provocative and becoming increasingly popular.

As far as I know, this documentary has only been available on the Paramount DVD (as it appeared to be on their Laserdisc and VHS versions) of Hellraiser III and not on any other release worldwide. But be cautious, because the 2011 Echo Bridge DVD--which has a 1.33:1 feature and no extras--looks practically identical from the front covers online, so third-party sellers may get the two confused.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#261 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am

Just noticed that the excellent Charlton Heston western Arrowhead survived Warner Archives Hell and has been reissued by Warners for $5.97 list price. Highly recommended, and a steal at that price.

We should try forming a list of previously OOP Paramount titles reissued by Warners on pressed discs at a lower list price. Here's the ones I know of off the top of my head:

Arrowhead
the Far Horizons
Foul Play
No Way to Treat a Lady
Soap Dish
2 Days in the Valley
Whispers in the Dark
Will Penny

Matt

#262 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:03 am

In my experience, these aren't reissued but old stock with a new UPC label slapped on the back. I wouldn't celebrate too much or expect the pressed discs to stick around.

knives

#263 Post by knives » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Actually a lot of them like The Parallax View have stayed in print with new Warners logos on the packaging and discs.

Noiradelic

#264 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:We should try forming a list of previously OOP Paramount titles reissued by Warners on pressed discs at a lower list price.
Not sure if all these fit your criteria, but they were all OOP and are now listed on the WB site (searching under "paramount" is surprisingly effective):

Internal Affairs (Blu available for preorder)
You Can Count On Me
A Simple Plan

$14.96 MSRP ($7.79 on WBShop.com)
Play It Again, Sam
Atlantic City
Sorry, Wrong Number
Hud
Death Wish
The aforementioned Parallax View
Serpico (Blu available for preorder)

Feego

#265 Post by Feego » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:17 pm

You can also add:

The Out-of-Towners (Original version)
The Dead Zone
Graveyard Shift
Silver Bullet
The Desperate Hours
We're No Angels
Alfie (Original)
Catch-22

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#266 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:01 pm

It's happening again: Warners didn't renew their Paramount license, so every film high profile or not distroed by Warners is now OOP, with some precious bargain bin fodder titles now going for a pretty penny

FrauBlucher

#267 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:23 pm

If Sony licenses the Paramounts, look for Criterion's schedule to get busier then it already is.

PfR73

#268 Post by PfR73 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 pm

If anyone's desperately looking for Norbit on Blu-Ray, I know a store where some can be found.