The Wages of Fear

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: The Wages of Fear

#51 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:25 am

It's becoming increasingly clear that if you want something by release date and don't have Amazon Prime, you might be better off ordering from somewhere else.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#52 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 am

perkizitore wrote:Amazon still haven't shipped my pre-order, what gives? ](*,)
I received mine from Amazon UK in France the day after release date without recourse to Prime so I guess it's a bit of a lottery.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am

I just got my shipping notice yesterday and had preordered when it was first announced. I'm still waiting for them to ship my in stock Bunuel box, though...

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:24 am

I got that last week - although I do have Amazon Prime.

(Or rather, my wife does - and I recently discovered that if you're part of the same household that means you can link your account to it too. Which is handy.)

rapta

#55 Post by rapta » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 am

I received my two year pre-order on release day. However, I opened it to find a copy of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on CD instead. Obviously complained immediately, and they still haven't organised a replacement and return, nor restocked the item. Apparently somebody is 'investigating' it, that's all I know.

I dunno if it's BFI or Amazon, but I've had problems with pre-ordering specifically BFI titles from Amazon in the past. I remember a similar problem when Black Girl/Borom Sarret was released, with my order arriving almost 2 weeks after release day due to a problems with stock. I remember some people having trouble with Night and the City too, and possibly others.

Both times I've ordered with Prime, so perhaps I'm just unlucky.

sabbath

#56 Post by sabbath » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Comparison from caps-a-holic.com : http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11028&d2=11029&c=4386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeez, I thought I was totally satisfied with my Criterion disc, but now I can't resist.

ryannichols7

#57 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:31 pm

someone on the other forum found a listing for a 4K UHD rerelease!

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:18 am

Confirmed by the BFI.

Provisional specs:
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Audio commentary by film critic Adrian Martin (2017)
Interview with assistant director Michel Romanoff (2005, 23 mins)
Interview with Clouzot biographer Marc Godin (2005, 10 mins)
Interview with Professor Lucy Mazdon (2017, 35 mins): an in-depth interview about Henri-Georges Clouzot and The Wages of Fear
The Guardian Lecture: Yves Montand in conversation with Don Allen (1989, 99 mins, audio only): the star discusses his distinguished career
Original theatrical trailer
Other extras TBC
**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet featuring writing on the film, original reviews and an appreciation of Clouzot by Paul Ryan

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:00 am

Full specs for the UHD upgrade:
THE WAGES OF FEAR
A film by Henri-Georges Clouzot
Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Vera Clouzot

“A masterpiece of suspense” Christopher Nolan

Released on UHD Blu-ray, iTunes and Amazon Prime on 19 February 2024

Based on the 1950 French novel Le Salaire de la peur and critically hailed upon its original release, THE WAGES OF FEAR propelled its director, Henri-Georges Clouzot (Les Diaboliques), to international fame and is rightly considered a classic of world cinema. After its BFI Blu-ray/DVD release in 2017, the BFI is now able to release the film on UHD Blu-ray with two new special features including a 15-minute video essay.

In a squalid Latin American village, four desperate men are hired by an American oil company to embark on a treacherous journey, transporting a lethal cargo of nitroglycerine to a massive oil-well fire. Friendships and courage are pushed to the limit in this nail-biting thriller by a filmmaker dubbed “the French Hitchcock”.

Special features
• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• A Road Trip Out of Hell? Or Into It? – Purgatory and The Wages of Fear (2023, 15 mins): a new video essay by filmmaker and photographer Nic Wassell – NEW for this release
• Audio commentary with film critic Adrian Martin
• Interview with Professor Lucy Mazdon (2017, 35 mins): an in-depth discussion on Henri-Georges Clouzot and The Wages of Fear
• Interview with assistant director Michel Romanoff (2009, 23 mins)
• Interview with Clouzot biographer Marc Godin (2009, 10 mins)
• The Guardian Lecture: Yves Montand (100 mins, audio only): in conversation with Don Allen; the star of The Wages of Fear discusses his distinguished career
• Treasures from the BFI National Archive (1920-1960, 30 mins): a selection of archive gems, exploring some of the themes and iconography featured in The Wages of Fear – NEW for this release
• Original theatrical trailer
•  ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet with an essay by Andy Miller, original reviews from Sight & Sound and Monthly Film Bulletin, an appreciation of Clouzot by Paul Ryan, notes on the special features and credits

Product details
RRP: £24.99 / Cat. no. BFIU0008 / 12
France / 1953 / black and white / 153 minutes / French with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 // UHD100: 2160p, 24fps, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono (48kHz/24-bit)