Guy Maddin

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Matt

Re: Guy Maddin

#26 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

kidc85 wrote:Not heard anything about KEYHOLE. Has anyone here seen it?
Interesting, but minor. As swo17 said, it's more conventional stylistically, and shot on a Canon 5D (which seems antithetical to Maddin's aesthetic, but I guess everybody needs to stretch once in a while). Story-wise, it's still characteristically insane, but I can't imagine ever wanting to revisit it.

AlexHansen

#27 Post by AlexHansen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Does anybody have/seen the Keyhole Blu and can speak to its quality?

furbicide

The Forbidden Room

#28 Post by furbicide » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Guy Maddin's The Forbidden Room is coming to DVD in both the US and the UK. This is clearly the most exciting news of the year. But, as an Australian with a multi-region player, which one should I get?

Kino Lorber R1 release (8th March) (separate DVD/Blu-ray editions)
http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Room-Ro ... idden+room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soda R2 release (4th April) (dual format DVD/Blu-ray)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forbidden-Room- ... B01936PZR4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kino Lorber has a bit of a mixed reputation from what I understand, but still a relatively safe bet. Does anyone know anything about Soda?

Neither edition has any special features listed, from what I could see on the Amazon pages.

knives

#29 Post by knives » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Soda's good too and have stepped up their game lately. We have a thread on them here.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#30 Post by ola t » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 am

A clue to what's likely to be on Kino's disc is their iTunes Extras: a directors' commentary, the short film Once a Chicken: Hommage à Làszlò Moholy-Nagy, some silent footage from the seances that preceded each day's shooting, and "animated posters".

Soda have said their extras "include directors' commentary and behind-the-scenes footage, as well as a booklet featuring an essay by Jonathan Romney".

Once a Chicken can be seen on Vimeo.

ccfixx

#31 Post by ccfixx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Kino's "Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson's The Forbidden Room Blu-ray Detailed."

Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson
Booklet with essays by Guy Maddin and Hillary Weston
Endless Ectoloops
Living Posters
Once a Chicken, a séance with Lázsló Moholy-Nagy
Trailer

furbicide

#32 Post by furbicide » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks guys. The Kino one looks great. Just wonder if I should wait for both to actually get a release so I can compare image quality, etc. (though I'm guessing this is usually less of an issue with new DCP films?)

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:16 am

Unless it's riddled with digital artefacts, I'm not sure that conventional notions of "image quality" apply to this film! I know the guy who QCed Soda's version, and he said it was something of a challenge.

But, as you say, both discs would certainly have originated from the same digital master - unusually for Maddin, this used extensive amounts of digital postproduction (so much so that the man responsible for the AfterEffects work ended up being promoted to co-director).

JamesF

#34 Post by JamesF » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:35 pm

As said person who QC'ed the Soda disc, yes, The Forbidden Room is the kind of film where ten minutes in, you're tempted to forget everything you've ever learned about QCing, shrug and say, "Well, I guess that's okay...?" (Kidding aside, I can promise we've given the film a rock-solid, peak-bitrate encode on a BD-50, and any "defects" present are native to the film!)

And just to clarify, the supplements on our disc are as follows:
- Commentary by Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson (same as on the Kino disc)
- Behind-The-Scenes Featurette (6 mins)
- Seances-Capsules (9 mins) - behind-the-scenes footage of the filming at PHI Centre in Montreal
- A Living Poster (same as on the Kino disc)
- Theatrical trailer (plus trailers for other Soda Film + Art and Guy Maddin releases)
- A booklet with Jonathan Romney's essay "The Infernal, Ecstatic Desire Machine of Guy Maddin"

We weren't offered Endless Ectoloops or Just A Chicken, but our disc has content not on the Kino disc, so it's a trade-off either way.

I'm surprised to read on the Blu-Ray.com review that their disc presents the film in 1.66:1 - the master we were given is definitely 1:78:1 (and presented as such on our edition), as was the DCP. Comparing the first screengrab (of Louis Negin at the beginning) with our master, I can't see any difference at all in terms of framing, so it may be an error by the reviewer.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#35 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Disappointed that neither edition has Bring Me the Head of Tim Horton, since I'm not sure where else that would be released except as an extra on whatever feature Maddin does next (or on a "Short Films of Guy Maddin" release, which would be more than welcome!). It's not on the Canadian Blu of Hyena Road, which isn't exactly a surprise.

furbicide

#36 Post by furbicide » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:23 am

JamesF wrote:As said person who QC'ed the Soda disc, yes, The Forbidden Room is the kind of film where ten minutes in, you're tempted to forget everything you've ever learned about QCing, shrug and say, "Well, I guess that's okay...?" (Kidding aside, I can promise we've given the film a rock-solid, peak-bitrate encode on a BD-50, and any "defects" present are native to the film!)

And just to clarify, the supplements on our disc are as follows:
- Commentary by Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson (same as on the Kino disc)
- Behind-The-Scenes Featurette (6 mins)
- Seances-Capsules (9 mins) - behind-the-scenes footage of the filming at PHI Centre in Montreal
- A Living Poster (same as on the Kino disc)
- Theatrical trailer (plus trailers for other Soda Film + Art and Guy Maddin releases)
- A booklet with Jonathan Romney's essay "The Infernal, Ecstatic Desire Machine of Guy Maddin"

We weren't offered Endless Ectoloops or Just A Chicken, but our disc has content not on the Kino disc, so it's a trade-off either way.

I'm surprised to read on the Blu-Ray.com review that their disc presents the film in 1.66:1 - the master we were given is definitely 1:78:1 (and presented as such on our edition), as was the DCP. Comparing the first screengrab (of Louis Negin at the beginning) with our master, I can't see any difference at all in terms of framing, so it may be an error by the reviewer.
Thanks James! All great info. I'm thinking I'll hold out for the extra month and get this edition.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#37 Post by ola t » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:15 pm

The companion project to The Forbidden Room, the Seances website which generates a new Guy Maddin & Evan Johnson film every time it is visited and then loses it forever, is now live.

dadaistnun

#38 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 am

Maddin has made The Green Fog available for free on his Vimeo page.

knives

#39 Post by knives » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:08 pm

That was fun and much appreciated. At times I was curious if he was going to go further with the concept like having Novak play Stewart, but given that the Brooks' clip was the only less than great part of the movie it is perhaps better he avoided that layer of the onion.

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:52 pm

I like this piece where Madden talks about his reconstruction including the ways he was able to sober audiences to the male gaze using different tactics for the same result of the Hitchcock, but the Chuck Norris/Bresson recontextualization is really interesting and reminds me of Llinas’ Ingrid Bergman/Stromboli comments in how using pop culture and real-life historical context can be equally important tools as isolated technique to manipulate an image to create new meaning

furbicide

#41 Post by furbicide » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:30 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 am
Maddin has made The Green Fog available for free on his Vimeo page.
Amazing, thanks for this! I wanted to see this in Melbourne when it screened there but couldn't make it, so will be nice to finally watch it.

criterionsnob

#42 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:40 am

Just noticed TIFF is premiering new 4K versions of Tales from the Gimli Hospital (4K Redux) and The Heart of the World. Would be a great double bill for a UHD or BD release.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#43 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Oh, yes, more Maddin in hi-def. I think his analogue approach to filmmaking has really suffered from lackluster dvd releases. I wouldn't count on a 4K release, but any hi-def release would benefit his work and restore the grainy look that has only been visible in 35mm screenings.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#44 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 pm

Zeitgeist has already announced a U.S. theatrical run for the Gimli restoration, beginning in mid-October at the IFC Center and the American Cinematheque. Sadly no mention of The Heart of the World as a companion short.

Also, according to the Canadian distributor the Redux includes "the replacement of a long-lost scene." Any idea what this refers to?

Lastly, this isn't exactly new news, but since it hasn't been mentioned here, Maddin has made Stump the Guesser, The Rabbit Hunters, and Bring Me the Head of Tim Horton (RIP Guy Lafleur) available on his Vimeo account.

ZHansen

#45 Post by ZHansen » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Does anyone have info on footage that has been removed from Gimli Hospital? The original Kino DVD is 68 minutes long, while the Redux has an added scene but comes in at 64 minutes. I haven't found anything about scenes from the original that were shortened or cut.

Der Ungrund

#46 Post by Der Ungrund » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:07 pm

ZHansen wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:10 pm
Does anyone have info on footage that has been removed from Gimli Hospital? The original Kino DVD is 68 minutes long, while the Redux has an added scene but comes in at 64 minutes. I haven't found anything about scenes from the original that were shortened or cut.
Based on what I've read, he made small cuts throughout the film, but also cut the blackface sequence entirely. While I love Maddin, Gimli has always been my least favorite film of his, so I don't care that much. It's just a reason to hold onto the old Kino DVD.

That said, while the 4K restoration of Gimli looks great, the best reason tobuy the redux is the gorgeous, 4K, restoration of Heart of the World. I have seen that movie, no joke, probably 200+ times as for a period I used to watch it once a day, and I never get sick of it. It's such a wonderful love letter to cinema and is so jam packed with content that it still amazes me it's only 5 minutes.

Now please bring (in order of preference) Brand Upon the Brain, Archangel, Dracula, Careful, Cowards Bend the Knee, and Saddest Music in the World to bluray. Archangel, especially, would benefit greatly from it as it's one of Maddin's most gorgeous films, but the only way to see it has always been that awful Zeitgeist DVD that has too many films smashed on it, so the compression has always been poor.

yoshimori

#47 Post by yoshimori » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:55 am

Der Ungrund wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:07 pm
... the best reason to buy the redux is the gorgeous, 4K, restoration of Heart of the World.
Sold! Hadn't noticed that extra. Thanks. My second favorite* narrative short of all time.

*after Roy Andersson's "World of Glory"

criterionsnob

#48 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:20 pm

The latest Zeitgeist newsletter announced a 4K remaster of Guy Maddin's Archangel as part of their 35th anniversary. It's coming to Metrograph in December.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#50 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:51 am

Along with the news that U.S. distribution for Rumours has been picked up by Bleecker Street comes some details about the film: it's about a G7 summit where leaders of the member nations attempt to draft a statement while lost in the woods. Besides the previously-announced Cate Blanchett, it stars Alicia Vikander, Roy Dupuis, Charles Dance, Denis Ménochet, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Rolando Ravello, Hira Takehiro, and Zlatko Burić, and it's expected to release this year.