John Waters

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#76 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:37 pm

anyone who hasn't heard it already, Waters released a curated Christmas album a few years back, some great Christmas deep-cuts from mostly Baltimore acts on that one, definitely worth seeking out.

Lino

#77 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:16 pm

I wonder if Waters will cut tracks from this Kay Martin Christmas album into the soundtrack of his new movie? The album in itself is priceless and so are the song titles! Very Waters! Take a look and while you're at it, download it. It's a blast.

Just found out about this while looking for something else: his one-man show, This Filthy World, is coming out on DVD at the end of this month.

About that cover artwork: I don't know whether to hate it or love it but since it's Waters, I think it's fantastically appropriate and he would kind of approve it for all its horrid magnificence.

Quot

#78 Post by Quot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes, many thanks for putting that together. Another good book on Waters is:

Desperate Visions: Camp America - Jack Stevenson (Creation Books, 1996)

The book spotlights both Waters and the Kuchar brothers, with lots of essays and interviews (with John and his early Dreamland cohorts) by Stevenson, most previously published but gathered for this collection.

pauling

#79 Post by pauling » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:49 pm

'This Filthy World' is coming to St. Paul. Here's the story and some Waters audio.

Solaris

#80 Post by Solaris » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:08 am

Shooting begins this winter. Waters wants to film in HD.

Solaris

#81 Post by Solaris » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:11 am

Serial Mom will be re-released on DVD next Mother's Day, with commentary from Kathleen Turner and Herschell Gordon Lewis. Multiple Maniacs will also be released on DVD sometime soon.
Meanwhile Cry-Baby will open on Broadway next March.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Heads up (at least for those based in the UK) - apparently Waters is presenting a bad taste masterclass on today's Culture Show - 7.10 BBC2 tonight.

Lino

#83 Post by Lino » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Solaris wrote:Serial Mom will be re-released on DVD next Mother's Day, with commentary from Kathleen Turner and Herschell Gordon Lewis.
I'm SO sold on this one! Finally, I'll be able to ditch that horrid snapper and just think of what a treat will be to hear Gordon Lewis and Kathleen Turner together on the same audio-commentary track! Fingers crossed that they actually recorded it together and not separately.
Multiple Maniacs will also be released on DVD sometime soon
Forget Berlin Alexanderplatz finally hitting DVD by courtesy of Criterion: THIS is the best news I've heard all year, DVD-wise. Cannot believe I'd actually see the day this'll happen!

zombeaner

#84 Post by zombeaner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Lino wrote:
Solaris wrote:Multiple Maniacs will also be released on DVD sometime soon
Forget Berlin Alexanderplatz finally hitting DVD by courtesy of Criterion: THIS is the best news I've heard all year, DVD-wise. Cannot believe I'd actually see the day this'll happen!
Multiple Maniacs is one of my favorites, though I must admit that Female Trouble is probably my favorite of his early work, though Pink Flamingos is up there. I just can't decide! Finally I can ditch my VHS! There needs to be a Criterion Collection Early John Waters set with all the shorts, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Lino

#85 Post by Lino » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:51 pm

zombeaner wrote:There needs to be a Criterion Collection Early John Waters set with all the shorts, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Maybe I'm wishing too much here but since MM is coming out, is it too much to dream that some of his shorts could be included as extras? I mean, apparently the big problem with MM was with copyright issues for some of the songs used. If those have apparently been cleared out, maybe the same has happened to some of the shorts. Fingers and toes crossed, guys! I wonder who's the company behind the release.

Well, one thing is almost guaranteed: another gloriously filthy Waters commentary! Hurray!

zombeaner

#86 Post by zombeaner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:20 am

zombeaner wrote:There needs to be a Criterion Collection Early John Waters set with all the shorts, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Waters always says that those early shorts live in his closet and are never coming out. But I'd pay in blood to have copies of Hag in a Black Leather Jacket, Roman Candles (though I don't think this could be effectively reproduced in a home theater), the Diane Linklater Story, Eat Your Makeup, etc...

Lino

#87 Post by Lino » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:06 am

One crazy horror/trash/christmas music fan has gone and made what seems to be the first unofficial Female Trouble soundtrack CD! Kudos to him! Find it here and download it for free!

By the way, isn't it time that this thread is moved over to the Filmmakers forum? Or doesn't Waters qualify?

Mr Pixies

#88 Post by Mr Pixies » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:12 am

zombeaner wrote:
Waters always says that those early shorts live in his closet and are never coming out. But I'd pay in blood to have copies of Hag in a Black Leather Jacket, Roman Candles (though I don't think this could be effectively reproduced in a home theater), the Diane Linklater Story, Eat Your Makeup, etc...
He has taken them out though and showed them recently though in one of his art exhibitions...maybe someone can convince him to release them. People change and he went from repeatedly saying he'd never show them, to showing them where he felt they were in the right context....I'd love a (Criterion) set of everything before Pink Flamingos...

patrick

#89 Post by patrick » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Here's hoping that any shakeups at New Line post-The Golden Compass don't affect Waters.

Lino

#90 Post by Lino » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:07 pm

patrick wrote:Here's hoping that any shakeups at New Line post-The Golden Compass don't affect Waters.
What do you mean?

patrick

#91 Post by patrick » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 pm

It just seems like Waters has got a nice deal going at New Line where he basically can do whatever he wants as long as it's cheap (I don't know if it's like Woody Allen's old deal at Miramax or what). If New Line goes under/is radically restructured I would be worried that his next home might not be as friendly. However, maybe I'm greatly underestimating the amount of people who want to work with John Waters.

Has any American film studio owed a filmmaker as much as New Line owes John Waters?

Lino

#92 Post by Lino » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:05 am

patrick wrote:... maybe I'm greatly underestimating the amount of people who want to work with John Waters.

Has any American film studio owed a filmmaker as much as New Line owes John Waters?
Exactly. Waters is hot nowadays and although his movies will never sell like the Lord of the Rings ones, at least he's got carte blanche to do whatever he pleases.

He's that rarest of creatures: a successful non-conpromising artist. To top it all off, he's got the Pope of Trash title still intact and he even wears it proudly on his jacket sleeve like Oscar Wilde once did with a green carnation.

Lino

#93 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 am

Solaris wrote:Shooting begins this winter. Waters wants to film in HD.
That makes sense. HD looks like shit anyway, so it's kind of like Waters' very own way of saying that HD is the new 16mm.

From Wikipedia:
The cast will be all children, with Johnny Knoxville being the only adult

Antoine Doinel

#94 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

That's probably the first time Johnny Knoxville has been considered an "adult" in his entire career.

chaddoli

#95 Post by chaddoli » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Lino wrote:HD looks like shit anyway
This is a bullshit statement.
Lino wrote:From Wikipedia:
The cast will be all children, with Johnny Knoxville being the only adult
This isn't true - there is a Mom character as well, who I believe will be played by Parker Posey!

This movie is very much in the Dirty Shame vein, but is still funny.

Lino

#96 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 pm

chaddoli wrote:This movie is very much in the Dirty Shame vein, but is still funny.
What do you mean? Have you seen it already? A Dirty Shame was basically about sex and Fruitcake will be centered around Christmas. Yeah, I can see a connection between them (cough, cough) but what evidence do you have to make such a statement?

chaddoli

#97 Post by chaddoli » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:41 pm

I've read the script. It compares to A Dirty Shame in its tone and humor, ya know, the same kind of squeaky-clean subversion. Like some have reported, this is a children's film, a Christmas story about extreme outsiders. The protagonist family is a band of black market meat resellers (they shoplift meat from supermarkets and sell it to poor families for half price). But the film will definitely be R-rated. Most of the adults huff amyl nitrite throughout the entire film.

luridedith

#98 Post by luridedith » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:54 pm

I'd like to see that awesome gay nephew from that horrid Ugly Betty show in the lead role, he's all I can think about when I see the words "John Waters", "children's movie" and "Fruitcake".

Really excited for this one. I just hope he doesn't try too hard to emulate the success of Hairspray as he did with the rather mediocre "A Dirty Shame" (which could never compete with his early trash masterpieces like he hoped).

Fletch F. Fletch

#99 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 pm

An excellent interview with Waters in New York magazine.

Lino

#100 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm

So I ordered the Liz Renay book, My Face for the World to see, the new edition with the John Waters introduction, but frustratingly, they sent me the one without it... I could always send it back and get a refund but I was hoping that someone could provide me with a link to the Waters intro because I'm just too lazy to mail it back and besides, they're out of that edition anyway, so that wouldn't solve anything in the end, anyway.

Much appreciated to anyone who comes to my rescue!