Philippe Garrel

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
kjenkins

#76 Post by kjenkins » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Does anyone know if this site is still active? I've tried emailing them a couple of times about purchasing a dvd and have not received a response! I don't know if I just should send payment without knowing if they are still in business . . .
David Ehrenstein wrote:Here

David Ehrenstein

#77 Post by David Ehrenstein » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 pm

As far as I know they are. It sometimes takes an age for them to answer correspondences.

Ovader

#78 Post by Ovader » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:28 am

Here are some scenes of poor quality footage from Le Berceau de cristal with Nico's song Purple Lips in this quasi music video.
Last edited by Ovader on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sir karl

Re: Philippe Garrel on DVD

#79 Post by sir karl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 am

Les Hautes Solitudes finally is available online @ ubuweb. Let's hope it gets a decent distributor for a DVD release too!

http://www.ubu.com/film/garrel_solitudes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (online viewing and download option)
A personal portrait of the American actress Jean Seberg. "Jean Seberg saw the film and she said 'yes, it is very good'. When I asked her if we could leave it like it was, in black and white, without dialogue, she replied 'yes I'm happy if you leave it like that' (...) while shooting in Marrakech she said to me 'in the end, for an Arab, a film is a film. A film with Jean Seberg is a film with Jean Seberg.'" Philippe Garrel

Ovader

J'ai gardé les anges

#80 Post by Ovader » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 am

Garrel's new project J'ai gardé les anges (I’ve Kept the Angels) was one of five feature film screenplays selected at the last 2008 session of the second pre-production advance on receipts committee of the National Film Centre (CNC). The title will be produced by Édouard Weil for Rectangle Productions, who also handled production on Frontier of Dawn.

Ovader

#81 Post by Ovader » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 am

I already posted the news on the Zeitgeist thread but I will repeat the news here. I Can No Longer Hear The Guitar (J'entends plus la guitare) and Emergency Kisses (Les Baisers de secours) will be released on a two DVD set by Zeitgeist Films sometime this year according to their online catalogue. I am concerned about the chance this will be another PAL to NTSC port as well as cropping which happened on their DVD of Regular Lovers.

mikebowes

#82 Post by mikebowes » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 am

I'll take it any way I can get it - this is super news.

mikebowes

#83 Post by mikebowes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:15 am

Amazon now has the I Can No Longer Hear The Guitar (J'entends plus la guitare) and Emergency Kisses disc with a release date of 5/26/2009.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#84 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 pm

mikebowes wrote:Amazon now has the I Can No Longer Hear The Guitar (J'entends plus la guitare) and Emergency Kisses disc with a release date of 5/26/2009.
Are these films any good? I'm not familiar with any of Garrel's work in the '80s or '90s.

mattkc

#85 Post by mattkc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:12 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Are these films any good? I'm not familiar with any of Garrel's work in the '80s or '90s.
They're both complete masterpieces, and among the greatest films I know. Now if only L'Enfant secret and Liberté la nuit would receive quality releases.

Ovader

#86 Post by Ovader » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 am

Details are now up on I CAN NO LONGER HEAR THE GUITAR and EMERGENCY KISSES from Zeitgeist Films to be released May 26.=D>

DISC ONE: I CAN NO LONGER HEAR THE GUITAR:
- French press book excerpts, including a handwritten letter from Jean-Luc Godard
- Vintage lobby cards
- French trailer for Garrel’s Regular Lovers

DISC TWO: EMERGENCY KISSES:
· Philippe Garrel, Artiste (1999): A rare 50-minute documentary made for the French television series Cinéma, de notre temps
· French press book excerpts, including a note from filmmaker Leos Carax
· Vintage lobby cards

Plus, a new essay on both films by The New Yorker’s Richard Brody

nsps

#87 Post by nsps » Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm reviewing the Zeigeist set for DVD Talk. The transfers are 16x9 letterboxed to 1.66:1 and definitely older, but with that in mind they aren't too bad. I've definitely seen worse.

Ovader

#88 Post by Ovader » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

nsps wrote:I'm reviewing the Zeigeist set for DVD Talk. The transfers are 16x9 letterboxed to 1.66:1 and definitely older, but with that in mind they aren't too bad. I've definitely seen worse.
Here is the review and I wonder if these are the same transfers as on the Cahiers du Cinéma discs? Maybe someone on this board has those DVDs and can confirm that. Either way I will be getting the Zeitgeist edition.

nsps

#89 Post by nsps » Tue May 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Ovader wrote:
nsps wrote:I'm reviewing the Zeigeist set for DVD Talk. The transfers are 16x9 letterboxed to 1.66:1 and definitely older, but with that in mind they aren't too bad. I've definitely seen worse.
Here is the review and I wonder if these are the same transfers as on the Cahiers du Cinéma discs? Maybe someone on this board has those DVDs and can confirm that. Either way I will be getting the Zeitgeist edition.
Thanks for the link. I'll try to create and ad a few screen caps in the next day or two.

It seems likely to me that they would be the same transfers, as I'm 95% certain that these weren't created specifically for Zeitgeist's release.

Quick question: The Cinema de notre temps doc includes a rather magnificent unidentified shot from a Garrel film. It begins with two men, one on the right standing behind an empty picture frame, the one on the left, somehow in charge, behind a flaming typewriter. I simply must know what movie this shot came from. Anyone know?

Ovader

#90 Post by Ovader » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 am

nsps wrote: Quick question: The Cinema de notre temps doc includes a rather magnificent unidentified shot from a Garrel film. It begins with two men, one on the right standing behind an empty picture frame, the one on the left, somehow in charge, behind a flaming typewriter. I simply must know what movie this shot came from. Anyone know?
The man behind the typewriter definitely looks like a young Maurice Garrel and if so the film clip must be from the 1960s. I did a joint venture search on IMDb for Maurice and Philippe Garrel and came up with a list of films in common. At the end of the credits for Cinema de notre temps there is a list of clips used so I have concluded that the clip either comes from Marie pour mémoire or Anémone. Maurice Garrel is credited as Cab driver / Inquisitor for Marie pour mémoire and he seems to be playing an Inquisitor in that brief clip but I assume David Ehrenstein can confirm my conclusion.

nsps

#91 Post by nsps » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:50 am

Wow—thanks for the detective work! I didn't mean to prompt a homework assignment—it just struck me as a memorable enough moment that someone must've seen it. I'll see if I can get my hands on the film and report back. Or hopefully Mr. Ehrenstein will be able to confirm.

EDIT: With the help of that lead, I was able to confirm the Marie pour mémoire conclusion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be easily available, especially with English subs (If anyone's seen it, how much dialogue is there?)

Thanks again!

Ovader

J'ai gardé les anges

#92 Post by Ovader » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 am

Further information regarding Garrel's new project J'ai gardé les anges (I’ve Kept the Angels) is that Monica Bellucci will star with Louis Garrel. Nothing has been revealed yet about the plot or setting. Shooting will start in 2010. Script written by Philippe Garrel, Marc Cholodenko and Caroline Deruas-Garrel.

justeleblanc

#93 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 pm

nsps wrote:I'm reviewing the Zeigeist set for DVD Talk. The transfers are 16x9 letterboxed to 1.66:1 and definitely older, but with that in mind they aren't too bad. I've definitely seen worse
I just bought these and the transfers are NOT anamorphic but instead matted to 1.66 : 1. I assume the Cahiers discs were not anamorphic either. If they were, buy those and not the Zeitgeists.

Can anyone confirm this about the Cahiers discs?

martin

#94 Post by martin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:36 am

justeleblanc wrote:I just bought these and the transfers are NOT anamorphic but instead matted to 1.66 : 1. I assume the Cahiers discs were not anamorphic either. If they were, buy those and not the Zeitgeists.
But the Cahiers discs are not not subtitled if I'm not mistaking. It would still be interesting to see some screenshot comparisons, of course, and I would also like to know if the Cahiers are anamorphic.

Dadapass

#95 Post by Dadapass » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:17 pm

I don't think this has been posted but Frontier of Dawn will be released 1/26/2010. Link

nsps

#96 Post by nsps » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:01 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
nsps wrote:I'm reviewing the Zeigeist set for DVD Talk. The transfers are 16x9 letterboxed to 1.66:1 and definitely older, but with that in mind they aren't too bad. I've definitely seen worse
I just bought these and the transfers are NOT anamorphic but instead matted to 1.66 : 1. I assume the Cahiers discs were not anamorphic either. If they were, buy those and not the Zeitgeists.

Can anyone confirm this about the Cahiers discs?
Oops—sorry about the slip. I meant 4x3 letterboxed (otherwise it'd have to be pillarboxed). Thanks for the correction! (Luckily I wrote it correctly in my review, but screwed up on the post here.)

I'm under the impression that the Cahiers discs came from the same source.

Ovader

Un Eté brulant

#97 Post by Ovader » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:55 am

Garrel's new film in production scheduled for mid-July in Rome with Monica Bellucci, Louis Garrel and Maurice Garrel is titled Un Eté brulant instead of J'ai gardé les anges as I have previously posted. All I can determine from this article is the film is a difficult love story between a painter and an actress.

Oedipax

#98 Post by Oedipax » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 am

Any word on who will be shooting this one now that Lubtchansky has passed away? Maybe Caroline Champetier?

Ovader

#99 Post by Ovader » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:07 am

Oedipax wrote:Any word on who will be shooting this one now that Lubtchansky has passed away? Maybe Caroline Champetier?
Good question so I will find out hopefully by the middle of next week. Mods can this thread be transferred over to the Filmmakers section?

Matt

#100 Post by Matt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:09 am

Ovader wrote:Mods can this thread be transferred over to the Filmmakers section?
Not unless someone puts together a filmography and linkography for Garrel. That's the requirement for threads in that section.